Russian police and National Guard will stay in Ukraine’s Donbas postwar, a Kremlin official says
Share this @internewscast.com

By DASHA LITVINOVA and ILLIA NOVIKOV

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — In a move that highlights Russia’s intentions in the ongoing conflict, a high-ranking Kremlin official announced that Russian police and the National Guard will continue their presence in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine. This decision will hold even if a peace agreement is reached to conclude the nearly four-year war between Russia and Ukraine.

Kremlin advisor Yuri Ushakov’s statements reveal Moscow’s desire to sustain its influence over the industrially significant Donbas area post-conflict. Such a position is likely to meet resistance from Ukraine, especially as negotiations led by the United States continue, albeit with difficulty.

In related developments, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy reported success on the battlefield, with Ukrainian forces reclaiming several settlements and neighborhoods around Kupiansk in the northeastern Kharkiv region. This progress follows months of strategic operations aimed at reversing Russian gains in the area.

Kupiansk has been a focal point in the roughly 600-mile front line, making the Ukrainian advance of approximately 40 square kilometers (15 square miles) a significant setback for Russian forces. This development contrasts sharply with Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent assertions.

Less than two months ago, Putin claimed that Ukrainian troops in Kupiansk were encircled and even extended an offer for their surrender, suggesting that a media visit to the area would validate his position. Putin has consistently attempted to project Russia as having the upper hand in negotiations throughout the conflict.

Russian President Vladimir Putin gestures during a call with military leaders on the Ukraine battlefield situation at the Kremlin in Moscow, on Thursday, Dec. 11, 2025. (Gavriil Grigorov, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)
Russian President Vladimir Putin gestures during a call with military leaders on the Ukraine battlefield situation at the Kremlin in Moscow, on Thursday, Dec. 11, 2025. (Gavriil Grigorov, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

Obstacles in a push to peace

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s office said he would host Zelenskyy on Monday for talks as peace efforts gain momentum and European leaders seek to steer negotiations. Afterward, numerous European heads of state and government, as well as the leaders of the European Union and NATO, will join the meeting, a statement said.

Moscow will give its blessing to a ceasefire only after Ukraine’s forces have withdrawn from the front line, Ushakov also said in comments published Friday in Russian business daily Kommersant.

He told Kommersant “it’s entirely possible that there won’t be any troops (in the Donbas), either Russian or Ukrainian” in a postwar scenario. But he said that “there will be the National Guard, our police, everything necessary to maintain order and organize life.”

For months, American negotiators have tried to navigate the demands of each side as U.S. President Donald Trump presses for a swift end to Russia’s war and grows increasingly exasperated by delays. The search for possible compromises has run into a major obstacle over who keeps Ukrainian territory that Russian forces have occupied so far.

Since Moscow’s 2014 illegal annexation of Crimea and the seizure of territory in the east by Russia-backed separatists later that year, as well as land taken after the full-blown invasion was launched on Feb. 24, 2022, Russia has captured about 20% of its neighbor.

Ukraine says its constitution doesn’t allow it to surrender land. Russia, which illegally annexed Donetsk and three other regions illegally in 2022, says the same. Ushakov said that “no matter what the outcome (of peace talks), this territory (the Donbas) is Russian Federation territory.”

On Thursday, Trump compared the negotiations to a very complex real estate deal. He said that he wants to see more progress in talks before sending envoys to possible meetings with European leaders over the weekend.

In October, Trump said the Donbas region will have to be “cut up” to end the war.

Ukrainian counterattacks

In recent months, Russia’s army has made a determined push to gain control of all parts of Donetsk and neighboring Luhansk, which together make up the valuable Donbas region.

Its slow slog across the Ukrainian countryside, using its significant advantage in troop numbers in a corrosive war of attrition, has been costly in terms of casualties and losses of armor. Although outnumbered, Ukrainian defenders have held firm in many areas and counterattacked in others.

Ukrainian forces said Friday that they had advanced around Kupiansk. They gradually cut off Russian supply routes into the city, starting on Sept. 22, and regained control of the villages of Kindrashivka and Radkivka, as well as several northern districts of the city, according to a statement by Ukrainian National Guard’s Khartia Corps posted on Facebook.

Fighting is ongoing in central Kupiansk, where more than 200 Russian soldiers are encircled, the statement said.

In this grab from a video provided by the Press Service Of The President Of Ukraine on Friday, Dec 12, 2025, Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy records a video at the road entering of Kupiansk, Ukraine. (Press Service Of The President Of Ukraine via AP)
In this grab from a video provided by the Press Service Of The President Of Ukraine on Friday, Dec 12, 2025, Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy records a video at the road entering of Kupiansk, Ukraine. (Press Service Of The President Of Ukraine via AP)

Zelenskyy posted a video of himself standing on the road into Kupiansk on Friday. Explosions could be heard in the background as he spoke.

“Today, it is critically important to achieve results on the battlefield so that Ukraine can achieve results in diplomacy,” Zelenskyy said in the video, praising his troops on Ukraine’s Ground Forces Day.

Russian officials made no immediate comment, and the Ukrainians statements couldn’t be independently verified.

Ukraine also has developed its long-range strike capabilities using domestically produced weapons to disrupt Russia’s war machine.

Its Special Operations Forces, or SSO, said Friday that an operation in the Caspian Sea struck two Russian vessels carrying military equipment and arms.

The ships named Kompozitor Rakhmaninov and Askar-Saridzha are under U.S. sanctions for transporting arms between Russia and Iran, the SSO said in a statement on social media. It didn’t say what weapons it used in its attack.

Cross-border drone strikes

A Ukrainian drone attack wounded seven people, including a child, in the Russian city of Tver, acting Gov. Vitaly Korolev said Friday. Falling drone debris struck an apartment building in the city, which lies northwest of Moscow, Korolev said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Trump's Board of Peace to announce $5B in funding for Gaza reconstruction

Trump’s Peace Board Unveils $5 Billion Initiative for Gaza Reconstruction Efforts

In West Palm Beach, Fla., President Trump made a significant announcement on…
2026 Daytona 500 results: Tyler Reddick wins NASCAR Daytona 500 for 23XI Racing, owned by Chicago Bulls legend Michael Jordan

Tyler Reddick Dominates 2026 Daytona 500: A Historic Victory for Michael Jordan’s 23XI Racing

DAYTONA, Fla. — In a dramatic finish at the Daytona 500, Tyler…
Renewal Life Church congregation relaunches services after South Emerald Avenue church in Englewood collapses in Thanksgiving fire

Englewood’s Renewal Life Church Reopens After Devastating Thanksgiving Fire Collapse

CHICAGO (WLS) — A devastating fire that led to the collapse of…
California lawmaker's Epstein bombshell outs 4 random men with no connection

California Legislator Reveals Epstein-Related Findings, Identifies Four Unrelated Individuals

In a dramatic turn of events on Capitol Hill, a California lawmaker…
Teen daughter of Ruben Torres Maldonado, Chicago man detained by immigration agents in Niles, released, dies after cancer battle

Chicago Community Mourns as Teen Advocate for Father’s Release from ICE Passes Away from Cancer

In a tragic turn of events, the teenage daughter of Chicago resident…
DEA supervisor Melitón Cordero arrested as US shutters Dominican Republic office during visa-fraud probe

DEA Supervisor Melitón Cordero Arrested Amid Dominican Republic Office Closure in Visa Fraud Investigation

A supervisor from the US Drug Enforcement Administration’s office in the Dominican…
Now, Experts Are Warning Revolutionary AI Tools Change Everything

Experts Warn of Transformative Impact of Revolutionary AI Tools

The rise of artificial intelligence is causing quite a stir across various…
2 skiers killed in avalanche on popular Mont Blanc skiing route near French-Swiss border

Tragic Avalanche Claims Lives of Two Skiers on Renowned Mont Blanc Trail

In a tragic incident on Sunday, two skiers lost their lives while…
NYC apartment fire kills 1 after firefighters struggle to put out blaze due to blocked hydrant

Tragic NYC Apartment Fire Claims Life Amidst Delays Caused by Obstructed Hydrant

An intense fire claimed the life of an elderly man in a…
Syrians warm up to US and Israel under new regime, poll finds

Syrian Public Opinion Shifts: New Regime Sees Increased Favorability Towards US and Israel, Poll Reveals

A recent survey indicates a warming attitude in Syria towards the United…
Border czar Tom Homan declines to defend Kristi Noem, admits they still disagree

Former Border Chief Tom Homan Breaks Silence on Disagreement with Kristi Noem: What Really Happened?

WASHINGTON — In a candid interview on Sunday, border czar Tom Homan…
Zelenskyy ally arrested trying to flee Ukraine as massive corruption probe deepens

High-Profile Zelenskyy Ally Arrested in Ukraine Amid Intensifying Corruption Crackdown

On Sunday, Ukraine’s former energy minister found himself in custody after being…