Small boat asylum seeker raped woman after marching her out of club

An asylum seeker, whose request was denied, became infamous for preying on solitary women at a York nightclub, a court has been told. The individual, Eid Anwar Fathi Najjar, now 20, illegally entered the UK via a small boat three years ago. He is facing a substantial prison term after being labeled a ‘sexual predator’ by legal authorities.

The victim, who eyewitnesses described as ‘highly intoxicated,’ had become separated from her group during a night out in York—a city popular with tourists—in the early morning hours of July 6. Najjar identified her at the Vudu Lounge on Swinegate and prevented her escape by keeping her in a ‘firm grip,’ according to court testimonies.

As the young woman attempted to hail a taxi, Najjar forcibly directed her away from it. Later, she was observed wandering the city center partially undressed, following an assault by Najjar, reportedly occurring in a secluded alleyway.

Najjar stopped the ‘intoxicated’ victim from trying to escape his clutches after singling her out at the Vudu Lounge in York’s Swinegate by holding her in a ‘tight grip’, a court heard.

When the woman tried to get a taxi, Najjar frogmarched her in the other direction.

She was later seen walking around the city centre partially naked after being raped by Najjar, apparently in an alleyway.

Najjar, understood to be originally from Egypt, was traced after CCTV from the nightclub was examined.

He was due to stand trial for rape next week, but at a hearing yesterday he changed his plea to guilty and also admitted sexually assaulting the woman.

Asylum Seeker from Small Boat Allegedly Assaults Woman After Escorting Her from Club

‘Sexual predator’ Eid Anwar Fathi Najjar, 20, a failed asylum seeker who came to Britain on a small boat in 2022, raped the ‘intoxicated’ victim after she became separated from her friends during a York pub crawl in the early hours of July 6

Failed asylum seeker Eid Anwar Fathi Najjar had only been at Vudu Lounge in York (pictured) for a matter of minutes when he singled out his victim, holding her in a 'tight grip' and marching her outside before raping her

Failed asylum seeker Eid Anwar Fathi Najjar had only been at Vudu Lounge in York (pictured) for a matter of minutes when he singled out his victim, holding her in a ‘tight grip’ and marching her outside before raping her

At a short hearing where he was assisted by an Egyptian Arabic interpreter he was remanded in custody ahead of his sentencing in December.

Details can now be reported from a preliminary hearing at York Magistrates’ Court on when Chimwemwe Chabwera outlined the case for the prosecution.

She said the victim – who cannot be named for legal reasons – had been out drinking in city centre bars with friends and ‘recalls little of what happened before and after the incident’.

At some point on the pub crawl, she parted company with her friends and ended up in the Vudu Lounge, ‘but she doesn’t remember what happened after that’.

‘The next thing she remembers is being outside her front door with an unknown male,’ said Ms Chabwera.

‘She wasn’t wearing any trousers or knickers (and) her bag was missing. She was unable to remember the code for her (door) key safe.

‘She remembers being in the Shambles Marketplace with the same male. 

‘She got her bag and trousers back but not her knickers. Her trousers were dirty but not damaged.’

The victim was later found wandering half-naked through York's historic Shambles area (pictured)

The victim was later found wandering half-naked through York’s historic Shambles area (pictured)

Later, two brothers were walking through Shambles Market when they spotted a partially naked woman in the street looking ‘visibly distressed and confused’.

‘She didn’t have a mobile or handbag and couldn’t answer questions,’ said Ms Chabwera.

‘She seemed intoxicated. They suggested taking her back to Shambles Market to try and find her handbag. 

‘They found this with her phone in an alleyway.’

As they were walking back to her home, they saw a passing police van and flagged it down.

Ms Chabwera said the woman told officers she wasn’t sure what had happened, but she ‘felt like she had had a sexual encounter’.

‘This frightened her because she had no recollection of it,’ added the prosecutor.

‘She is clear that she would not have consented to having sex with someone she had just met on a night out and having sex in a public location. 

‘She had bruising to her right arm and thigh.’

Police carried out CCTV enquiries which led them to the Vudu Lounge where footage showed her ‘swaying, stumbling and bumping into people’.

Najjar is understood to have been at the venue for only a matter of minutes when he singled her out.

Within ten minutes he was seen ‘holding her in a tight grip and leading her out’ as she tried to push him away, the court heard.

‘A member of security staff said he told Najjar to leave her alone as she was intoxicated and vulnerable,’ Ms Chabwera said.

The doorman was then distracted by something else as Najjar led the woman out of the bar.

Najjar was arrested at his home in the city where he initially gave a false name before confirming his true identity after police carried out checks.

He initially falsely claimed to have had consensual sex with the woman, lying that she was sober and that she herself took off her clothes and removed his clothing.

After being shown the CCTV footage which contradicted his account of events he answered no comment.

Ms Chabwera said it was the prosecution’s case that Najjar was a ‘sexual predator’ who targeted a vulnerable, lone woman.

She said that doormen at Vudu Lounge said Najjar was notorious for targeting lone women in the bar and they had seen him doing this on previous occasions.

‘Najjar entered the country illegally in a small boat in 2022,’ she added.

‘He is a failed asylum seeker; he has no right to remain.’

Graham Parkin, representing Najjar at the July hearing, said his client’s asylum claim had been closed.

He added, however, that when he spoke to Immigration Services that same week, he was told there was no intention at that stage of seeking to remove Najjar from the UK.

At yesterday’s hearing Judge Sean Morris, the Recorder of York, adjourned sentence to December for a probation report but told Najjar: ‘A custodial sentence in this case is inevitable. It’s just a question of how long.’

Mohammed Abrahim Abuzet, 25, of Bradford, was also arrested and charged with rape over the incident but denied the allegation which prosecutors have now withdrawn.

The Home Office was approached for comment.

You May Also Like

Human Error Blamed for Largest-Ever Cyberattack on Charity Sector

A suspected “major human mistake” is believed to have set off what…

Tennis Fans React as Venus Williams Receives US Open Wild Card at 46

Venus Williams is poised to make another memorable appearance at the US…

Fatal Attraction Icon Glenn Close, 78, Stuns Fans With Glamorous New Look

Anne Archer, the Oscar-nominated actress who helped define one of the biggest…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set to Move Back to the UK

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to the United…

Inside Harshita Brella’s Alleged Murder After Arranged Marriage

Throughout her short life, Harshita Brella — a bright, warm-hearted and deeply…

Anthony Albanese’s International Travel Bill Reaches $4 Million for Taxpayers

Anthony Albanese’s taxpayer-funded travel bill topped $4million last financial year, with new…

Two Girls Found Safe in Trailer After Babysitter Abduction, Police Say

Police body camera video shows the tense rescue of two young sisters…

Toxic Issue Could Sink Republican in Crucial Senate Race

As frustration over AI data centers grows across Ohio, Democrats have found…

Sandra Bullock Shares Rare Glimpse of Life With Her Kids in New Photos

Sandra Bullock offered followers an unusually personal look at life away from…

Why Luigi Mangione’s Friends Still Stand by Him After Confession

Several friends of Luigi Mangione are speaking publicly in his defense after…

Search for Wealthy Mystery Man Unable to State His Own Name

A man at the center of a growing international identification mystery may…

RFK Jr.’s Son Wanted by Russia Over Ukraine War Fighting

Conor Kennedy, the son of Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F.…