5.9k Share this

Police in New York City and Washington, D.C., announced late Sunday that they’re on the hunt for a person who they believe has killed two people and injured three others in a string of attacks against homeless people.

The latest violence they believe is connected to the person happened early Saturday in New York when two men sleeping on streets were shot in separate attacks carried out by the same person, police in both cities said in a joint statement.

The first of those shootings happened at roughly 4:30 a.m. and left a man wounded. The second happened around 6 a.m., but the victim wasn’t discovered until evening, when someone reported a man on the street with gunshot wounds, the departments said.

That victim was declared dead at the scene, police said. His is one of two homicides believed to be connected, authorities said.

The first three attacks happened in Washington, D.C.: a 4 a.m. shooting March 3 in which the victim survived, a 1:21 a.m. shooting Tuesday in which the victim survived, and a Wednesday death discovered when a Metropolitan Police Department officer spotted a tent fire, according to the joint statement.

After firefighters knocked down the blaze, a body was discovered, police said. The city’s medical examiner determined the man died as a result of gunshot wounds or stab wounds.

None of the victims’ identities were available.

Police said they were being joined by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in the hunt for a suspect.

Authorities did not provide a written description of the man they think is the killer, but they distributed screen-capture photos taken from security video.

In a joint statement late Sunday New York City Mayor Eric Adams and Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser said finding the suspect was a top priority.

“It is heartbreaking and tragic to know that in addition to all the dangers that unsheltered residents face, we now have a cold-blooded killer on the loose, but we are certain that we will get the suspect off the street and into police custody,” the mayors said.

In December police in Miami announced the arrest of Willy Maceo Suarez, 25, on allegations of murder and attempted murder of two homeless men who had been shot.

Courtney Brogle contributed.

Source: This post first appeared on NBC News

5.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Wimbledon STRIPPED of ranking points after banning Russian and Belarusian players

This year’s Wimbledon has been unceremoniously stripped of ranking points, in retaliation…

Boris Becker slams German media for ‘fake’ stories

Becker has been given his own cell, but he is likely to…

North Korea Ignores Joe Biden Visit to Seoul

President Joe Biden arrived in South Korea on Friday, eliciting no response…

Republicans Propose Bill to Fight Back Against Woke Capitalism

Senate Republicans on Wednesday introduced legislation aimed at curbing Wall Street’s largest…
Donetsk People Republic Emergency Situations Ministry firefighters work at the site of fire at the oil depot after missiles struck the facility in an area controlled by Russian-backed separatist forces in Makiivka

Suspicious fire breaks out at Russian aerospace institute that develops fighter jets and rockets

March: In an unconfirmed date in March, five recruitment centers in Moscow were…

Labor Anthony Albanese previously backed move to remove Queen as head of state in

Republican Anthony Albanese has triumphed at the Australian election after he vowed…

Englewood mass shooting: Terriana Smith, 1-month-old baby shot in head, celebrates 1st birthday

CHICAGO (WLS) — She was shot in the head just weeks after…

Italian Women’s Abuse Group Voices Support for Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard Defamation Trial

A European women’s abuse group founded by former Miss Italy Valeria Altobelli…