Share this @internewscast.com

Agim Ajazi, 34, faced Brisbane Supreme Court on Tuesday for sentencing after pleading guilty in May to foreign incursions, engaging in hostile activities and advocating terrorism.

Ajazi left Australia in July 2013, establishing a base in Turkey from which he crossed the border into Syria the following year, prosecutors said in May.

Agim Ajazi, 34, will spend up to eight years and two months in prison for fighting alongside terrorist groups in the Syrian conflict. (9News)

The former Gold Coast resident was not a member of a terrorist organisation, but admitted taking part in efforts to overthrow the Syrian government as an infantry fighter who fired an Kalashnikov assault rifle during battles that caused hundreds of casualties.

Justice Susan Brown accepted that Ajazi between 2014 and 2016 had fought alongside groups proscribed as terrorist organisations by the Australian government such as Jabhat al-Nusra, which was closely aligned with al-Qaeda.

Ajazi also fought alongside groups that were not officially defined as terrorists.

“(Ajazi) made social media posts … which referred to the events in Syria and his involvement in the conflict. The posts promoted an extremist Islamic ideology,” Justice Brown said in sentencing remarks.

She also accepted that Ajazi had intentionally advocated a terrorist act by threatening on social media to kill Russians in the United States.

Russia at the time was supporting the Syrian government through heavy air strikes against rebel and terrorist groups.

Defence barrister Glen Rice said in May that Ajazi no longer has extremist views but had been inspired to travel to the war zone at the start of the Syrian conflict.

“He was particularly motivated by images which were available on the internet of the kind of treatment that that regime dealt its citizens,” Mr Rice said.

Ajazi faced a possible maximum sentence of life in prison under Australia’s laws targeting people who travelled overseas to act as foreign fighters.

Justice Brown accepted that Ajazi was a low-level foot soldier, did not intend to commit or promote terrorist acts in Australia and that his social media posts were influenced by immature boasting.

“The posts are still of a serious nature and reflect that the defendant was radicalised at the time and committed to the hostile activity he was involved in,” Justice Brown said.

She sentenced Ajazi to eight years and two months in prison with a non-parole period of six years, one month and two weeks.

Justice Brown declared Ajazi had already served 1295 days in custody, including in South Australia and a year spent detained in Turkey.

“I am also required to warn you… that an application may be made for a continuing detention order requiring you be detained in custody after the end of your sentence or an extended supervision order,” she said.

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Ancient DNA Unveils the Secrets of 7,000-Year-Old Saharan Mummies’ Origins

Today, the view from the Takarkori rock shelter in southwestern Libya is…

New Zealand Citizen’s Application for Australian Citizenship Rejected Due to Chicken Incident

When assessing Peter Smith’s appeal regarding the harshness of his sentence for…

Prince Andrew’s Tarnished Reputation Raises Connections to Chinese Man Accused of Espionage

Britain’s semi-secret immigration court on Friday released further documents suggesting that Prince…

Australian Share Market Drops $57 Billion, Marking Largest Decline in Eight Months

Australian stocks experienced a significant decline today, shedding $56.6 billion, marking the…

Cybercriminals Launch New Attack on Australian Retirement Funds

Numerous major superannuation funds in Australia, such as AustralianSuper, Rest, and Insignia,…

Bus Driver Severely Hurt After Colliding with Tree on Adelaide’s O-Bahn

A bus driver is in a serious but stable condition after his…

'That train wouldn’t have left if it were a white boy'

Warning: This story contains the name and images of a deceased Indigenous…

South Korean President Ousted Following Martial Law Announcement

South Korea’s Constitutional Court has removed impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol from…

Suspect Apprehended in Connection with the Fatal Shooting of Underworld Figure Mohammed Keshtiar

Police have arrested a man over the fatal shooting of underworld figure…

Independent Candidate Targets Unexpected Opportunity as the ‘New Frontier’ for Teals

An independent candidate from the community running on the Gold Coast believes…