Shadow Defence Minister Andrew Hastie at the waterfront of Mandurah, in his electorate of Canning. 09/08/2024 Photo: Trevor Collens
Share this @internewscast.com

Andrew Hastie has decided not to contest the leadership of the Liberal Party against Opposition Leader Sussan Ley in the upcoming challenge. This decision clears the path for senior Liberal figure Angus Taylor to potentially step forward.

The backbencher from Western Australia said in a statement today he would not contest the leadership of the Liberal Party, citing a lack of support from the rest of the party.

Hastie addressed recent speculations regarding the leadership of the Liberal Party, stating, “Over the past few weeks, there has been speculation about the future leadership of the Liberal Party of Australia.”

Shadow Defence Minister Andrew Hastie at the waterfront of Mandurah, in his electorate of Canning. 09/08/2024 Photo: Trevor Collens
Andrew Hastie will not challenge Opposition Leader Sussan Ley for leadership of the Liberal Party next week. (Trevor Collens)

He continued by saying, “I’ve previously expressed my willingness to lead the Liberal Party and serve both my party and our country. However, after consulting with my colleagues and considering their candid feedback, it has become evident that I lack the necessary support to assume the leadership of the Liberal Party.”

Despite stepping back from the leadership race, Hastie affirmed his commitment to championing key issues such as immigration and energy, ensuring these remain at the forefront of his political agenda.

“But having consulted with colleagues over the past week and respecting their honest feedback to me, it is clear that I do not have the support needed to become leader of the Liberal Party.”

Hastie said he would continue to campaign on issues including immigration and energy.

“I believe that those families and our country are best served by a strong Coalition government,” he said.

“I will continue to work every day to make my party the very best version of itself.”

Opposition leader Sussan Ley during Question Time at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 24 November 2025.
Opposition Leader Sussan Ley during Question Time at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 24 November 2025. (Alex Ellinghausen)

Hastie joined several of his Liberal colleagues, including Taylor, for a meeting yesterday before a memorial service for former colleague and federal MP Katie Allen in Melbourne.

The Liberal figures were meant to discuss the next steps at the gathering but were unable to resolve which of them might step up should Ley be convinced to step down.

Their mediator, Liberal frontbencher James Paterson, told ABC Radio he believed Ley still had the backing of her colleagues.

”In my assessment, Sussan continues to enjoy the support of the majorIty of the party room,” he said.

Shadow Treasurer Ted O’Brien and Nationals Senator Bridget McKenzie echoed Paterson’s sentiments.

“I don’t believe there will be a challenge next week,” O’Brien said.

“I cannot see the spill motion getting up on Monday,” McKenzie said.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales

King Charles Responds to Brother Andrew’s Arrest: What You Need to Know

On the morning of his 66th birthday, the former Prince Andrew was…
Australia's closest ally has raised the alarm over the Coalition's leadership turnover, even joking it may not be worth building a relationship with the new shadow foreign minister. New Zealand foreign minister Winston Peters says he is 'aghast' at the 'inexcusable' turmoil in Australian political ranks, which he attributes to 'ego'. Mr Peters is now in his third stint as New Zealand's top diplomat, having served in the governments of Helen Clark, Jacinda Ardern and, currently, Christopher Luxon.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Criticizes Australia: Diplomatic Tensions Rise in Trans-Tasman Relations

Australia’s closest ally has voiced concerns over the frequent changes in the…

Zuckerberg Testifies: Landmark Social Media Trial Poised to Reshape Tech Industry

In brief This was the first time Zuckerberg, who owns Meta, addressed…
Huge chunk of Central Australia to receive drenching

Central Australia Set for Major Downpour: What This Means for the Region

Central Australia is bracing for potential isolation due to an impending deluge…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…