Share this @internewscast.com
The Greens and refugee advocates have expressed disapproval over a substantial agreement between Australia and Nauru, facilitating the deportation of non-citizens with canceled visas due to character reasons to the Pacific nation.
Australia has agreed to an initial payment of $408 million as part of this arrangement, with an extra $70 million annually to cover continuous expenses.
On Friday, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke convened with Nauru President David Adeang, the cabinet, and the Nauruan parliament.

During the meeting, a memorandum of understanding was signed, detailing “commitments for the proper treatment and long-term residence of individuals who have no legal right to remain in Australia, to be accommodated in Nauru,” as stated on the Home Affairs website.

Members of NZYQ cohort included in agreement

Burke and Adeang referred to “further long-term visas to be granted by Nauru to people who no longer have a legal right to remain in Australia” — and that it would allow for the “continued management of the NZYQ cohort”.

This decision resulted in the immediate release of approximately 150 immigration detainees, followed by the release of 130 more. Some from the group had serious criminal records, while others were detained due to visa issues.

Tony Burke, wearing a black suit, white shirt and blue tie.

Tony Burke stated, “anyone without a valid visa should depart the country” in remarks issued with the statement. Source: AAP / Mick Tsikas

Members of the group could not be deported to their home countries as they faced persecution or harm, and no other country would accept them.

The government passed new migration laws last year that would, among other things, allow non-citizens to be deported to third countries.
Nauru would grant long-term visas to the cohort under the arrangement, opening the door to Australia circumventing the High Court ruling that immigration detainees couldn’t be held in detention indefinitely if there was no prospect of their removal.
The statement said Australia would provide funding to “underpin this arrangement and support Nauru’s long-term economic resilience”.
SBS News asked for further information about the deal and were directed to the statement posted on the Home Affairs website.
“Anyone who doesn’t have a valid visa should leave the country,” Burke said in brief comments alongside the statement.

“This is a fundamental element of a functioning visa system.”

Government pushing to waive procedural fairness for non-citizens

The deal comes after the government proposed legislation earlier this week that would allow it to waive the requirement of procedural fairness for non-citizens facing removal to a third country.
The proposed changes would suspend the rules of natural justice for decisions involving “third country reception arrangements” in Australia, meaning the government would no longer be required to provide a fair hearing or consider individual circumstances when deporting non-citizens to those countries.
At the time, Burke said that, while procedural fairness was a “fundamental principle in many areas of decision-making”, non-citizens were using those provisions to “frustrate their removal”.

“These regulations mainly apply to non-citizens who have exhausted all legal means to remain in Australia, leaving removal as the sole option under Australian law,” Burke added.

The laws are expected to be pushed through parliament in the coming week.
At the time, Adeang said the three men had “served their time” in Australian prisons and were no longer subject to any punishment. They were granted 30-year visas and the right to settle and work in Nauru.
The government described the three people as violent offenders. That has been stalled since February amid legal challenges.

Earlier this month, the United Nations urged Australia to pause the deportation of one individual from the trio for a human rights investigation into his case.

Greens senator, refugee advocates condemn policy

Greens senator David Shoebridge, the party’s immigration spokesperson, criticised the agreement as a “deeply immoral and unworkable policy”.
“The Albanese government cannot in decency condemn far-right anti-migration hatred on one hand, while forcing through some of the world’s most anti-migrant policies on the other,” Shoebridge said in a statement.

Shoebridge said Adeang had signalled he wanted to send people forcibly removed from Australia to their countries of origin.

The exterior of the High Court of Australia, with a small sign out front reading "High Court of Australia".

The High Court of Australia ruled that indefinite immigration detention was unlawful in 2023. Source: AAP / Mick Tsikas

“This includes countries like Iran and Afghanistan, where anyone returned may well face a death sentence,” he said.

“At a time when we should be building partnerships in the Pacific based on equality and respect, the government is instead forcing our smaller neighbours to become 21st-century prison colonies.”
Shoebridge said the government is “now actively seeking law changes to suspend people’s right to natural justice”.
“When the only way to make your policy work is to remove the fundamental building blocks from the legal system, that’s an indication of how extreme Labor has become.”
Refugee advocates also criticised the decision on Saturday in a joint statement.

“These clandestine agreements send a clear signal — in Australia, some individuals face punishment simply based on their place of birth,” stated Jana Favero, deputy chief executive of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre.

“This deal is discriminatory, disgraceful and dangerous,” she added. “The Albanese government has launched yet another attack on migrants and refugees. An attack that will result in the most significant of outcomes — mass deportation.”
Sarah Dale, centre director and principal solicitor at the Refugee Advice and Casework Service, said that the UN had earlier this year found the Australian government “could not outsource their obligations to Nauru” and had “breached the human dignity of those it sent there”.
“It’s extraordinarily alarming, some months later, the government proposes to send even more people warehoused offshore in yet another secret backdoor deal.”
— With additional reporting by the Australian Associated Press

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…
Hanson addresses immigration rally in Melbourne

Breaking News: Hanson Speaks Out at Melbourne Rally – Unveiling Her Stance on Immigration

Pauline Hanson, the leader of One Nation, recently led an anti-immigration protest,…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Heartwarming Ceremony at The Lodge

Anthony Albanese has tied the knot with his fiancée Jodie Haydon at…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Urges Caution: Advises Treating Venezuelan Airspace as Off-Limits

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…

Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…
Jetstar

Jetstar Passengers Face New Delays Amid Urgent Airbus Repairs

Thousands of Airbus aircraft are currently grounded due to a major recall,…

Australia Steps Up: Tackling Fiji’s HIV Crisis with Urgent Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…