Share this @internewscast.com


A dead scuba diver found near more than 50 kilograms of cocaine in Newcastle Harbour has been identified as Brazilian national Bruno Borges.

Workers tried to give Borges CPR when they found the 31-year-old unresponsive on the banks of the Hunter River on May 9, but he died at the scene.

Borges is believed to have travelled to Australia after allegedly being hired by drug smugglers to retrieve cocaine from a ship at the port.

Scuba diver found dead after cocaine haul identified as Brazilian national Bruno Borges.
The scuba diver is identified as Brazilian national Bruno Borges. (9News)

It is believed he had been trying to retrieve drugs in the middle of the night and police think the package they found could be part of a $100 million haul.

The professional diver’s body was found surrounded by bricks of cocaine.

Police said Borges was wearing highly-technical diving gear including breathing equipment that doesn’t emit any bubbles.

A dead scuba diver found near more than 50kg of cocaine at a Newcastle shipping port has been identified as a foreign national.
A dead scuba diver found near more than 50kg of cocaine at a Newcastle shipping port has been identified as a foreign national. (NSW Police)

The ship at the centre of the drug incident had travelled from Argentina and arrived in Newcastle last week.

The vessel was carrying soybean powder and police are looking at whether the drugs were attached to the outside of its hull.

CCTV released of two people who police say could help their investigation into the $20 million cocaine discovery at a Newcastle port and the death of a scuba diver.
CCTV released of two people who police say could help their investigation into the $20 million cocaine discovery at a Newcastle port and the death of a scuba diver. (NSW Police)

So far, police have charged one person in relation to the alleged drug importation plot.

James "Jimmy" Blee has been arrested as he allegedly attempted to flee Australia just days after a scuba diver was found dead and $20 million worth of cocaine was discovered in Newcastle.
James “Jimmy” Blee remains before the courts over his alleged role in the cocaine import. (9News)

He remains before the courts.

Inquiries into the death and the cocaine discovery are continuing.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Jockey Leah Kilner fighting for life after fall

A promising Brisbane jockey is fighting for life after falling off a…

All unvaccinated travellers can now fly to Australia

From Wednesday, international travellers will no longer need to declare their COVID-19…

Fan powered controller cools your phone as you play

GameSir’s X3 comes with an in-built fan that cools your phone but…

Online abortion pill interest soars after the demise of Roe v Wade

With safe, legal abortion access in the United States being restricted in…

Transport Minister condemns rail union strike action

The New South Wales transport minister has called the ongoing rail strike…

Monkeypox cases triple in Europe, WHO says

The World Health Organisation’s Europe chief has warned that monkeypox cases in…

The Democratic presidential aspirants breathing down Joe Biden’s neck

It’s not a significant sum for a governor running for re-election in…

Bali School holiday Bali flight cancelled just hours before take-off

The Summers family should be watching a Kuta Beach sunset tonight. Instead,…