Share this @internewscast.com

US President Donald Trump says he will speak to the presidents of Russia and Ukraine following talks between the two sides in Istanbul.
In Moscow, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russian news agencies preparations were underway for a conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Trump.
The talks in Türkiye on Friday were the first time the sides had held face-to-face talks since March 2022, weeks after Russia’s full-scale invasion of its smaller neighbour.
Trump, writing on Truth Social, said he would speak with Putin to discuss stopping the war at 10am Eastern on Monday (midnight AEST).

“He wrote that the topics of discussion will include halting the ‘bloodbath’ that results in the deaths of, on average, over 5,000 Russian and Ukrainian soldiers each week, as well as trade.”

He said he would speak afterward with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and various members of the NATO military alliance.
“Hopefully it will be a productive day, a ceasefire will take place, and this very violent war, a war that should have never happened, will end.”
Trump had offered to travel to Türkiye for the talks while in the Gulf last week if Putin would also attend but Putin sent a team of negotiators instead.
The US president has been pressuring Putin and Zelenskyy to agree to a ceasefire in the more than three-year-old war.

The Kremlin declined to comment on the terms that Russia had put forward at Friday’s meeting.

The talks lasted only one hour and 40 minutes and yielded an agreement to trade 1000 prisoners of war on each side.
The two countries have not specified when that would happen.
Zelenskyy called on Saturday for stronger sanctions on Russia after a Russian drone killed nine bus passengers in the Sumy region of northeastern Ukraine.
“This was a deliberate killing of civilians,” he said.
“Pressure must be exerted on Russia to stop the killings. Without tougher sanctions, without stronger pressure, Russia will not seek real diplomacy.”
Russia, which denies targeting civilians, said it struck a military target in Sumy.

Its defence ministry said Russian troops had captured another settlement in eastern Ukraine.

‘Are they tapping us along?’

Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov spoke by telephone with US secretary of state Marco Rubio and said he welcomed the “positive role” of the United States in helping to secure a resumption of talks between Russia and Ukraine.
A Russian foreign ministry statement quoted Lavrov as saying contacts would continue.
Rubio was quoted as telling the CBS news program “Face the Nation” that Lavrov said the Russian side was “working on a series of ideas and requirements that they would have in order to move forward with a ceasefire and further negotiations”.
“I think your question is, ‘Are they tapping us along?'” he said in the interview to be broadcast on Sunday.

“Well, that’s what we’re trying to find out.”

Rubio, who told reporters earlier in Rome that the Vatican could be a venue to facilitate further Russia-Ukraine dialogue, told CBS it was a “very generous offer that may be taken up on”.
Ukraine and its allies, including the United States, have demanded Russia agree to an immediate unconditional ceasefire lasting at least 30 days.
But a Ukrainian source said Russian negotiators in the talks had demanded the withdrawal of Ukrainian troops from the Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson and Luhansk regions of Ukraine, with a ceasefire to take place only after that.

Peskov declined to comment on the Ukrainian account, saying talks should be conducted “absolutely behind closed doors”.

He said the next steps would be to carry out the prisoner exchange and conduct further work between the two sides.
Peskov said it was possible that Putin could meet Zelenskyy but only if “certain agreements” were reached, which he did not specify.
Zelenskyy had challenged Putin earlier in the week to meet him in person, an offer the Russian leader ignored.
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said his country, after hosting the talks, was resolved to continue its mediation role.

For the latest from SBS News, and .
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…