Share this @internewscast.com

At least 36 people have died and about 50 others have been hospitalised in western India after drinking contaminated alcohol, according to police.

All had consumed illegal moonshine in the Botad and Ahmedabad districts of Gujarat state, where the manufacture, sale and consumption of alcohol is illegal.

“About 10 people have been arrested and approximately 475 litres of the liquid have been recovered,” said Ashish Bhatia, Gujarat’s director general of police.

A man arrives in an ambulance at the Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad on Tuesday after suffering health problems due to consuming bootleg liquor. (Photo by SAM PANTHAKY/AFP via Getty Images) (AFP via Getty Images)

Bhatia said one of the arrested men had stolen methanol from a factory in Gujarat and sold it to a cousin, who then sold it on to others who diluted the chemical with water and sold it as liquor.

Methanol can make people feel inebriated, but even a very small amount can be toxic.

Deaths from drinking bootleg alcohol — known colloquially as “country made liquor” — are not uncommon in India.

While Gujarat and a few other Indian states criminalise the sale and consumption of alcohol, it is legal in most of the country of 1.3 billion — 22.5 per cent of whom live below the poverty line, according to the World Bank.

But even in states where drinking is legal, bootleg alcohol remains popular, especially in poorer, rural areas.

A man is treated after falling sick from consuming bootleg liquor. (AP Photo/Ajit Solanki) (AP)

Moonshine is typically brewed in villages before being smuggled into cities, where it can sell for about US10 cents a glass — about a third of the price of legally brewed liquor.

According to SafeProof, homemade alcohol can turn deadly when other liquids like rubbing alcohol or methanol are added to the mix.
Poisoning from methanol can prompt nausea, vomiting and heart or respiratory failure, according to the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. It can cause confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, headaches and the inability to coordinate muscle movements, the CDC said.

“The byproducts of methanol metabolism cause an accumulation of acid in the blood (metabolic acidosis), blindness, and death,” according to the CDC.

This week’s deaths are the latest tragedy in India’s long battle to control the illicit trade.

In February 2019, at least 154 people died and more than 200 were hospitalised after drinking tainted alcohol in the north-eastern state of Assam.

Earlier that month, 80 people died in the states of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand after drinking illegal alcohol, prompting regional police to crack down on bootleggers.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Monkeypox can spread to pet dogs, doctors report

Health officials are warning people who are infected with monkeypox to stay…

Woman killed by alligator after reportedly slipping into pond while gardening

A US woman was killed by an alligator after she slipped into…

Scott Morrison says ‘extraordinary times’ justified secret ministries

“These were extraordinary times in which I had the great honour and…

Mum to speak after man arrested over son’s 1998 death extradited to NSW

WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are advised this story contains…

Midwife speaks at inquest into young mum’s death

It was immediately clear to a midwife that Annie Moylan had more…

Bombing at Kabul mosque kills 10, including prominent cleric

A bombing at a mosque in the Afghanistan capital of Kabul during…

Strike to impact four lines, delays expected

Sydney commuters are set for another day of train disruptions with rail…

‘Despicable’ group believed to be holding missing Northern Territory girl

Federal police are joining the hunt for missing five-year-old Grace Hughes, as…