Share this @internewscast.com
The child was on a program run by Team Kids at Dingley Village Primary, in Melbourne’s south-east, when he was left behind at the campus on Wednesday last week.
Seven-year-old William was one of around 40 children setting off for rock-climbing adventure, as part of a school holiday program.
But the bus took off without William, who was left alone, without a phone and no way of contacting anyone for help.
William’s nine-year-old sister raised the alarm at the venue and staff member did a headcount.
The staff then realised the young boy was left behind.
The staff member returned to the school, where they found him.
William’s father, Nathan Cummings said he was “absolutely shocked” that his son was left behind.
“I just got this overwhelming shock, it was indescribable,” he said.
“It’s pretty daunting to think what could’ve happened ’cause, even if he fell off the playground, he’s there by himself.
“That night I had a lot of trouble sleeping and a couple of nights after, I was just constantly thinking about ‘what if?'”
Team Kids chief executive James Taylor says it was a result of staff forgetting to do a head check on the children before they left.
Army takes to Sydney streets to help in flood crisis
Four Team Kids staff members running the program that day have since been stood down.
An Education Department spokesperson said they were investigating the incident.
“The health and safety of all children is our top priority,” the spokesperson said.