Macron dismisses viral video showing apparent shove from wife Brigitte
Share this @internewscast.com
French President Emmanuel Macron has responded to a viral video featuring his wife Brigitte pushing his face away as they exited a plane in Vietnam, marking the first stop on their Southeast Asia tour.

While speaking to reporters in Hanoi on Monday, Macron directly addressed the video, countering the rumors it generated.

“There’s a clip showing me playfully interacting with my wife, and somehow it gets blown out of proportion, with people crafting different theories to explain it,” the president stated.

Videograb appears to show Brigitte Macron shoving her husband Emmanuel shortly before they deplane in Vietnam. (Reuters via CNN Newsource)

Macron acknowledged the footage was genuine but criticised how it had been weaponised.

“The videos are all real, and yes, sometimes people tamper with them, but people are attributing all kinds of nonsense to them.”

In the brief video, the door of the aircraft opens with Macron appearing first. Moments after, Brigitte Macron’s hands come into view from the side, apparently pushing the president’s face away in an unexpected gesture.

Macron appears momentarily surprised but quickly regains his composure and waves to the press outside.

As the couple descend the steps, Macron offers Brigitte his arm, which she does not take, opting instead to hold the railing.

The Élysée initially denied the incident on the plane, before later moving to downplay its significance.

France’s President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte Macron leave the plane at Noi Bai International Airport in Vietnam, shortly after the incident captured on video. (Chalinee Thirasupa/Reuters via CNN Newsource)

The couple were merely bickering, a source close to the president told CNN affiliate BFM TV. It was a “moment of togetherness”, according to an Élysée source.

“It was a moment when the president and his wife were unwinding one last time before the trip began, playfully teasing each other,” the source told CNN Monday.

“No more was needed to feed the mills of the conspiracy theorists,” the source added, saying pro-Russian trolls were quick to spin the moment into controversy.

Macron has been at the forefront of efforts to agree a coordinated European response to defending Ukraine following Russia’s full-scale invasion in 2022.

The incident in Hanoi comes as Macron faces another swirl of online disinformation. Earlier this month the Élysée dismissed as “fake news” a viral claim – amplified by Kremlin officials – that the French president was using cocaine aboard a train to Kyiv alongside German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

The rumor, traced back to pro-Russian accounts, falsely claimed a crumpled tissue Macron picked up was a cocaine bag.

The Élysée posted a rebuttal online with the caption: “This is a tissue. For blowing your nose… When European unity becomes inconvenient, disinformation makes a simple tissue look like drugs.”

The Kremlin’s foreign ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova fuelled the claim, suggesting the scene was part of a wider European dysfunction. French officials condemned the campaign as part of ongoing efforts by Moscow to weaken Western unity on Ukraine and manipulate peace discussions through false narratives and social media manipulation.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Understanding the Controversial Anti-Immigration Rallies in Australia: Key Facts You Should Know

Controversial anti-immigration protests are set to take place in major cities across…
Researchers at Copenhagen University hospital have found adding potassium could slash the risk of heart-related issues by a whopping 24 per cent

Easy Dietary Change to Significantly Improve Heart Health

A new study suggests that a simple dietary swap could dramatically boost…

Police Shootings Lead to Warnings from Gun Lobby and Calls Against Public Complacency

Tim Quinn, the president of Gun Control Australia, states that while Australians…

Australia-Wide Marches and Opposition Demonstrations Underway

Six people have been arrested during the protests in Melbourne, Victoria Police…
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 31: Hailemaryam Kiros Kebedew celebrates winning the Mens Marathon during the 2025 Sydney Marathon on August 31, 2025 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Jeremy Ng/Getty Images for Adidas)

Historic Sydney Marathon Sees Record-Breaking Wins

DHailemaryam Kiros and Sifan Hassan claimed victory in the men’s and women’s…

Leading Ukrainian Politician Andriy Parubiy Fatally Shot in Lviv, Officials Report

Andriy Parubiy, a notable Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker, was reportedly shot dead…
Redheads from around the world gather for annual festival

Ginger-haired individuals worldwide unite for yearly celebration

The southern Dutch city of Tilburg is experiencing an influx of vibrant…

Sydney Marathon 2025: New Records Set by Sifan Hassan and Hailemaryam Kiros

Dutch multi-distance phenomenon Sifan Hassan set a race record to win the…
Houthis storm UN building after Israel killed PM and other ministers

Houthis Invade UN Facility Following Israeli Attack on Prime Minister and Officials

Iran-backed Houthi rebels have stormed the headquarters of a United Nations agency…
Chaos expected for day of anti-migrant rallies around the country

Nation Braces for Turmoil as Anti-Migrant Protests Sweep Across the Country

Thousands are expected to rally in marches against immigration around the country…
Chicago mayor defies Trump's immigration crackdown plan for the city

Chicago Mayor Opposes Trump’s Immigration Crackdown Strategy for the City

The mayor of Chicago has pushed back against what he called the…
Just one month ago, Jenna Ellen had started her first IVF treatment and was optimistic about starting a family with the love of her life

Jenna, a healthy 31-year-old gearing up to start a family, discovered she had cancer. Here are three symptoms she mistakenly assumed were ‘normal’

Just one month ago, Jenna Ellen had started her first IVF treatment…