Share this @internewscast.com


The government has hailed data showing over 4.7 million under-16 accounts had been deactivated, removed or restricted within days of social media restrictions coming into effect, with one minister calling it a “huge achievement”.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it was “encouraging that social media companies are making meaningful effort to comply with laws and keep kids off their platforms”.
“Change doesn’t happen overnight. But these early signs show it’s important we’ve acted to make this change,” he said in a statement sent to media outlets on Thursday, which also contained the preliminary figures provided to the eSafety Commissioner.
Communications Minister Anika Wells said the number of under-16 social media accounts that had been deactivated after the laws took effect on 10 December was a “huge achievement”.

“From the outset, we understood that achieving flawless results immediately was unrealistic, but preliminary data indicates that this legislation is having a significant, positive impact,” she stated in the announcement.

“We recognize the necessity for further efforts, and the eSafety Commissioner is thoroughly analyzing this information to assess the compliance of individual platforms,” she added.

“Additional data will be essential to fully understand the implementation process,” she noted.

University of Sydney researcher Timothy Koskie told SBS News that 4.7 million was an “extraordinarily high number” but cautioned that “some of those accounts are going to be multiple platforms for individuals”.
He said that, given the number of platforms included in the ban, and the number of “particularly socially media savvy kids”, it was impossible to tell how many under-16s had actually stopped using social media.
“We can see that it’s shutting down accounts and that was one of the slated things that they were going to do,” said Koskie, who is a post-doctoral associate at the university’s School of Media and Communications.
“As far as the top line item of protecting youth from the risks of social media, it might be a little bit of a bridge to say that shutting down the accounts means protecting the youth, because we don’t necessarily know, for instance, that the accounts haven’t been opened under other names or that protections haven’t been bypassed through parents,” he said.

Digital Rights Watch, however, opposed the imposition of a social media age limit, advocating instead for increased regulation of social media companies.

Digital Rights Watch chair Lizzie O’Shea echoed those concerns, saying the “number of accounts deleted is not the measure of the success or failure of the ban”.
“This is measured by its effect on young people’s wellbeing. By that yardstick, the ban continues to fail. Teens are flocking to mental health crisis services as they come to terms with being cut off from their support networks,” she told SBS News.
“The social media ban has not made life better for Australian teens. For many of them, particularly the most vulnerable, it has caused grave harm.”

Digital Rights Watch opposed the introduction of the social media age limit, calling instead for more regulation of social media companies.

The government said the eSafety Commissioner’s office would continue to closely monitor social media platforms to ensure they were complying with their obligations.
According to Thursday’s statement, the eSafety website has recorded more than one million visits since the launch of the social media age limit’s education campaign, which the government said showed that Australians were engaging with the ban and seeking clear, reliable information about the changes.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…
Blood test pathologist blood sample

Revolutionary Blood Test Offers Insight into Alzheimer’s Onset Timing

A new blood test could be able to clock when someone may…

UN Unveils Disturbing Evidence: Genocidal Atrocities Surface in Sudan

In brief The mission warned that “urgent protection of civilians is needed,…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…
Gallipoli Barracks, Brisbane

Shocking Incident at Brisbane Military Base: Woman Arrested for Stabbing Man

A crime scene has been declared at Gallipoli Barracks after a man…
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…