Minister for Communications and Minister for Sport Anika Wells during a visit to St John Paul II College to meet with students and staff, in Canberra on Thursday 11 December 2025.
Share this @internewscast.com
Nearly 5 million social media accounts were wiped in the first week of Australia’s under-16 social media ban, Communications Minister Anika Wells confirmed today.

On December 10, Australia implemented a groundbreaking ban, marking the first such measure globally.

“We are setting a global precedent,” Wells stated during an interview with Today.

Minister for Communications and Minister for Sport Anika Wells during a visit to St John Paul II College to meet with students and staff, in Canberra on Thursday 11 December 2025.
Anika Wells announced almost 5 million social media accounts were wiped in the first week of under-16s ban.(AP Photo/Rick Rycroft)

In the same press briefing, Wells conceded that while Australia’s ban on social media for young users is pioneering, it is not without its flaws. Efforts are underway to refine the legislation further.

Social media platforms with age restrictions will continue to identify and remove accounts belonging to users under the age of 16 as they are discovered or created.

Even after eliminating over half a million accounts, Meta has voiced its concerns regarding the new ban.

“The foundation of this law, which restricts those under 16 from having social media accounts to shield them from an ‘algorithmic experience,’ is misguided,” commented Kathleen Walsh, Meta’s senior account executive.

“Platforms that allow teens to still use them in a logged-out state still use algorithms to determine content the user may be interested in – albeit in a less personalised way that can be appropriately tailored to a person’s age.”

She said the ban may also isolate teens from supportive online communities.

Though millions of accounts have been removed from platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok, real Australian teens previously told 9news.com.au they doubt the ban will work.

“There’s a lot of loopholes,” Alicia Liu, 13, said on the day the ban came into effect.

At the time she’d only been barred from one platform, Snapchat, and had already found a workaround.

Four of her friends, all aged 14, had not had any of their social media accounts removed.

”Right now I think a lot of teens, the way they help or keep their mental health stable is on social media, talking to their friends or watching creators that help,” Rose Pickles, 14, said at the time.

“The social media ban feels like a punishment for something we didn’t create.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales

King Charles Responds to Brother Andrew’s Arrest: What You Need to Know

On the morning of his 66th birthday, the former Prince Andrew was…
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs dives over for a try during the NRL Grand Final  between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Utai

Four Teens Face Charges in Connection with Alleged Shooting and Arson Attacks on Utai Family

In a shocking incident early Tuesday morning, former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…

Zuckerberg Testifies: Landmark Social Media Trial Poised to Reshape Tech Industry

In brief This was the first time Zuckerberg, who owns Meta, addressed…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…