Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze
Share this @internewscast.com

Just after 3 p.m., William Li received a startling call from his wife, who was at work. She informed him that a friend had mentioned their building was on fire.

Inside his second-floor apartment, there were no alarms, no smoke, and no hint of a burning smell. Without any immediate signs of danger, the 40-year-old office worker, enjoying a day off, decided to switch out of his pajamas before heading outside.

However, upon opening his door just eight minutes after the call, Li was enveloped in a dense, black smoke, cutting off any chance of escape.

This photo taken by William Li shows a view of his room when he woke up to fire outside his window at Wang Fuk Court in Hong Kong. (AP)

“Everything turned pitch black in front of me,” Li recounted to The Associated Press. “I thought to myself: I’m in serious trouble.”

This marked the onset of a devastating blaze that erupted at the Wang Fuk Court complex on Hong Kong’s outskirts. The fire raged for over 40 hours, consuming seven of the complex’s eight buildings, and was finally subdued by Friday morning. The tragedy claimed at least 128 lives, with many still unaccounted for, marking it as Hong Kong’s deadliest fire since 1948.

In Li’s apartment, near the fire’s origin, flames rapidly climbed up bamboo scaffolding with nylon netting, set up for construction. This ignited polystyrene panels positioned over windows, causing the glass to shatter and allowing the fire to spread internally. Strong winds facilitated the fire’s leap from building to building.

From Li’s apartment near ground zero where the fire broke out, the flames shot up bamboo scaffolding covered with nylon netting that had been erected for construction work. It ignited polystyrene panels that had been placed over windows and blew out the glass, allowing the blaze to spread inside. Winds helped the fire jump from building to building.

Authorities are investigating whether the netting covering the bamboo scaffolding, commonly used in Hong Kong and elsewhere in Asia, met fire-safety requirements; why windows were covered with foam panels; and why fire alarms did not sound.

William Li describes his escape from the deadly fire. (AP)

Already police have arrested three people — the directors of a construction company and an engineering consultant — and Hong Kong’s anti-corruption authorities have arrested a further eight including scaffolding subcontractors, directors of an engineering consulting company and the renovation project managers.

The complex is in Tai Po, a market town that in the late 1970s was designated as a “new town”, with many high-rise apartments built. The district is now home to about 300,000 of the city’s 7.5 million population, a mix of affluent, middle-class and lower-income groups.

A quiet neighbourhood amid Hong Kong’s bustle

Li grew up in the Wang Fuk Court complex, while resident Ding Chan and her husband moved there as adults as soon as it was built in the early 1980s, lured by the appeal of the quiet suburban neighbourhood north of Hong Kong, far away from the city’s commercial centre.

Chan had left her apartment a half-hour before the fire broke out and was at work as a cleaner when she started receiving frantic calls from friends about the blaze.

“I did not believe it at first,” the 70-year-old told the AP.

By the time she got back to the housing estate shortly after 3pm — about the same time Li’s wife was calling him with her warning — she could see the flames already spreading quickly and it wasn’t long before it reached her own building, and there was nothing she could do but watch.

“I had never seen such a massive fire in my entire lifetime,” she said.

The complex is in Tai Po, a market town that in the late 1970s was designated as a “new town”, with many high-rise apartments built. (AP)

Her husband, IN Kong, who is also 70, was also fortunately not at home when the fire broke out.

But Chan, who juggles two jobs and often works six days a week, and her husband who works as an electrician, are now faced with having to rebuild their lives from scratch.

Their unit, which they spent more than a decade paying off, is likely uninhabitable now and Chan said they did not know how they were going to survive for the next months, let alone the longer term future.

They have been put up temporarily in a local hotel, but don’t know what comes next.

“I haven’t slept for two nights,” she said. “Where am I going to stay?”

The government has made emergency assistance available to residents, and donations have also been pouring in, but it was not yet clear what long-term financial aid those in need will receive.

Of the more than 4600 residents in Wang Fuk Court, more than one-third are over 65, like Chan and her husband, according to Midland Realty data based on the 2021 census.

Some 900 people were taken to emergency shelters in the immediate aftermath of the fire, and hundreds of volunteers, including off-duty nurses, social workers and psychological counselors, flocked to the district to offer help.

Sharing his story to help the community heal

Li took to social media to share his ordeal, posting details on Friday on a Tai Po Facebook group, writing he hoped to help the community “heal and rebuild together.” By Saturday morning it had generated more than 1000 comments and had been shared nearly 10,000 times.

Firefighters walk through the burned buildings after the deadly fire. (AP)

After being blasted by smoke when he first tried to venture into the hallway, Li quickly retreated back into his apartment.

He described hearing explosions, and a photo he snapped shows his room illuminated by the glow of flames outside the window. He told the AP he thought of jumping, but instead decided to wait for rescue.

He called police to report the predicament, put wet towels down to block smoke coming in from under his door and called his wife to tell her he couldn’t get out.

“Everyone told me to wait,” he said.

Hearing voices from the hall, he decided to brave the smoke and went into the corridor where he found two bewildered neighbours who were trying to escape, and led them back to shelter in his apartment.

“I asked them why they had left their own home instead of waiting inside,” he said. “They told me it was because their window had overheated and shattered from the fire and the fire rushed into their home.”

Seeing flames closing in, he began to worry his apartment would soon suffer the same fate.

“That was the moment I began to feel death was very close to me,” he said. “I was terrified, helpless, because I knew my escape route, the doorway, was no longer safe. In that instant I felt powerless, as if there was nothing I could do except wait.”

Multiple people have been arrested as authorities investigate failures that led to the fire. (AP)

Not sure what else to do, the father of two reached out to friends for comfort.

“I started telling my friends to help take care of my family,” he said. “I felt like I was facing the end of my life.”

His mother, who lives in Britain, called in panic. “I could only tell her not to worry,” he said.

In the end, help arrived before the flames.

About 5pm, about two hours after his wife called to warn him, firefighters got a ladder to the scaffolding outside his window.

Li told the firefighters to take his older neighbours first, helping them out the small window onto the scaffolding, which they crawled along until they reached the ladder.

“Once my two neighbours had been rescued, I was left alone in the flat,” he recalled.

“At that moment my feelings were very heavy, because I knew I had to leave this home, and that it might be swallowed by the fire — I felt reluctant, but I had no choice. I had to escape.”

As he climbed down the ladder, firefighters yelled at him to cover his head due to falling debris, while hosing him down with water to protect him from the flames.

“The cold water drenched my whole body and the emotions were overwhelming, hard to describe,” he said. “But I felt very lucky.”

People place flowers near the scene. (AP)

Dozens of residents on higher floors of the 32-storey buildings were trapped even longer, as firefighters battled extreme heat to conduct door-to-door searches. Li said he had only moved down to the second floor in September, and said he had heard that his former neighbours on the 29th floor had all perished in the blaze.

About two hours after getting rescued, Li finally got to see his wife, son and daughter, who had been watching the blaze from outside, in an emotional reunion.

“My wife cried until her tears were completely dry, unable to cry anymore,” he said. “My daughter immediately rushed over to hug me saying, ‘daddy didn’t die, daddy didn’t die’. My son sat quietly to the side, very calm, but tears kept streaming down his face.”

Like Chan and her husband, and most other residents of the apartment complex, Li is now left wondering what will come next for him and his family even with the outpouring of support now being offered.

“No matter how many supplies are given, they are of little use — we can only carry what our two hands can hold, even if more is given we have no place to put it,” he said Saturday.

“Still, I am very grateful, Hong Kong people are full of compassion, constantly helping, donating generously,” he said. “At this moment, we haven’t yet seen all the stuff, but I will look around and see what can help us.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is under pressure from the US to take an unfavourable peace deal with Russia.

Top Aide to Zelenskyy Steps Down Following Anti-Corruption Probe at Residence

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Friday the resignation of his powerful chief…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…