Share this @internewscast.com
Key Points
  • Donald Trump deploys hundreds of national guard troops amid protests over immigration raids in LA.
  • California governor Gavin Newsom called the deployment “purposefully inflammatory”.
  • Protesters said the purpose of the troops was not to keep order but was an “intimidation tactic”.
Hundreds of national guard troops have taken up positions in Los Angeles on the orders of United States President Donald Trump, a rare deployment over the head of the state governor, after protests against immigration raids.
The US military said 300 soldiers from the 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team had been sent to three separate locations in the greater Los Angeles area, and were “conducting safety and protection of federal property and personnel”.
Helmeted troops in camouflage gear and carrying guns were stationed in front of a federal complex — including a detention centre — with the phrase “Our City” spray-painted on it in downtown LA.

The deployment overrode the protests of local officials — an extraordinary move not seen in decades that California governor Gavin Newsom criticised as “purposefully inflammatory”.

It came ahead of more planned protests in the city, which has a large Latino population, including a call by organisers for a “mass mobilisation” at City Hall on Monday AEST.

A separate Pride parade in support of LGBTIQ+ rights — also under assault by the Trump administration — started in Hollywood, with organisers posting on Instagram that they were working with local law enforcement to keep the celebrations safe.

Politicians clash over party lines

“Trump is sending 2,000 National Guard troops into LA County — not to meet an unmet need, but to manufacture a crisis,” Newsom posted on X.
“He’s hoping for chaos so he can justify more crackdowns, more fear, more control. Stay calm. Never use violence. Stay peaceful.”

Newsom’s warning came after LA was rocked by two days of confrontations that resulted in federal agents firing flash-bang grenades and tear gas toward crowds angry at the arrests of dozens of migrants.

Republicans lined up behind Trump to dismiss the pushback by Newsom and other local officials against the national guard deployment.
“I have no concern about that at all,” Republican house speaker Mike Johnson told US broadcaster ABC’s This Week program, accusing Newsom of “an inability or unwillingness to do what is necessary”.
As for threats by US defence secretary Pete Hegseth on Sunday AEST to send in active-duty marines on top of the guard troops, Johnson said he did not view that as “heavy-handed”.

“We have to be prepared to do what is necessary,” he said.

Response labelled an ‘intimidation tactic’, ‘escalation’ by demonstrators

Demonstrators told AFP the purpose of the troops was not necessarily to keep order, with one person describing them as an “intimidation tactic”.
“These protests have been peaceful. There’s no-one trying to do any sort of damage right now and yet you have the national guard with loaded magazines and large guns standing around trying to intimidate Americans from exercising our first amendment rights.”
“This is our community, and we want to feel safe,” another person told AFP.

“Trump deploying the national guard is ridiculous. I think he’s escalating, he’s trying to make a show for his agenda.”

A protester with his back turned is holding a sign in front of dozens of guards.

A protester holds a sign as border patrol personnel in riot gear and gas masks stand guard outside an industrial park in California at the weekend. Source: AAP / Eric Thayer

Senior US senator from the state of Vermont, Bernie Sanders, said the move demonstrated “Trump’s authoritarianism in real time”.

“Conduct massive illegal raids. Provoke a counter-response. Declare a state of emergency. Call in the troops,” he wrote on social media, adding: “Unacceptable.”

Trump’s immigration crackdown

The national guard — a reserve military — is frequently used in natural disasters, and occasionally in instances of civil unrest, but almost always with the consent of local authorities.
Trump has delivered on a promise to crack down hard on undocumented migrants — who he has likened to “monsters” and “animals” — since taking office in January.

Raids by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency in other US cities have triggered small-scale protests in recent months, but the LA unrest is the biggest and most sustained against Trump’s immigration policies so far.

A CBS News poll taken before the LA protests showed a slight majority of Americans still approved of the immigration crackdown.
Mexico President Claudia Sheinbaum defended migrants living north of the border.
“Mexicans living in the United States are good men and women, honest people who went to the United States to seek a better life for themselves and to support their families. They are not criminals! They are good men and women!”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…
Remembering Virginia Giuffre: The woman who helped bring down Jeffery Epstein

Virginia Giuffre’s Modest Estate Details Emerge Amid Ongoing Court Battle

A legal dispute concerning the estate of Virginia Giuffre, known for accusing…
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is under pressure from the US to take an unfavourable peace deal with Russia.

Top Aide to Zelenskyy Steps Down Following Anti-Corruption Probe at Residence

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Friday the resignation of his powerful chief…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…