Share this @internewscast.com
Maria Fernanda Garcia Brito was sitting on the couch in her Sydney home when she received a panicked call from her mother in Venezuela.
“My mum called me worried because she could hear a lot of helicopters, and a lot was going on, and [she] was uncertain,” the Venezuelan Australian woman told SBS News.
For Garcia Brito, the developments drew mixed emotions — concern for the safety of loved ones, amidst hope for the future.
“I was alleviated, and the reality that things were gonna change with Venezuela. I felt joy because it was a first step for Maduro to be captured,” Garcia Brito said.

“I feel insecure for my family and my friends because the current government is promoting violence,” expressed Garcia Brito. His concern is echoed by many who are worried about the well-being of their loved ones in the wake of the recent US military actions.

The early hours of January 3, 2026, were marked by chaos in Venezuela’s capital, Caracas, as pedestrians scrambled for safety during explosions, and the ominous presence of low-flying aircraft filled the skies. The scene was reminiscent of a city on edge, with fear palpable among the citizens.

Reports on the aftermath of the US strikes remain inconclusive, with official casualty figures yet to be verified. However, an unnamed Venezuelan official told the New York Times that at least 40 people have lost their lives due to the attack.

A woman in a white blouse and jeans runs down a city sidewalk at night with a concerned expression, while a man on a cell phone runs behind her.

According to the 2021 Census, over 6,600 individuals born in Venezuela now reside in Australia, highlighting the global diaspora’s concern for their homeland’s safety and stability.

The official numbers of the casualties from the US attack on Venezuela have not been confirmed yet, but the New York Times has reported at least 40 people were killed, according to an unnamed Venezuelan official.

The number of Australians in Venezuela is unknown.
A spokesperson of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) told SBS News the department is taking steps to determine whether any Australians were affected by the US attacks.
Australia does not have an embassy in Venezuela, limiting DFAT’s ability to provide consular assistance.

More than 6,600 people born in Venezuela are living in Australia, according to the 2021 Census.

A woman in a white dress sitting next to a Christmas tree.

Sydney resident Maria Fernanda Garcia Brito is concerned for loved ones in Venezuela following the US operation in her home country. Credit: SBS News

‘Familiar with heartbreak’

Genesis Lindstrom, the president of the Venezuelan Association of Australia, has several relatives back home who she said went through “some pretty scary moments”.

“It was devastating. It’s something that the community … has been experiencing over the last two decades,” Lindstrom said.
“We are somewhat familiar with the heartbreak that it is to see our families suffer on the other side of the world and not being able to do anything but send good wishes and pray for them.”
Lindstrom was among the members of the community who gathered in a Venezuelan restaurant in Melbourne on Sunday to share their feelings.

After the attack, US President Donald Trump said the US will “run” Venezuela for a time, “until such time as the proper transition can take place”.

A group of people, some standing and others sitting, inside a restaurant holding Venezuelan flags.

The community gathered in Papelon, a Venezuelan restaurant in Melbourne, a day after the US attacks.

Lindstrom said the attacks were “a lot more complex than saying you supported or not”. She said the community had been seeking a democratic transition of power for decades.

“We are now calling for the liberation of political prisoners, over around 1,000 people, including teenagers, who are in prison unjustly and kept in inhumane conditions,” she said.

Greens denounce ‘gross breach of international law’

“Australia has long held concerns about the situation in Venezuela, including the need to respect democratic principles, human rights and fundamental freedoms,” he said on Sunday.
Opposition leader Sussan Ley and Opposition foreign affairs spokesperson Michaelia Cash have welcomed the news of Maduro being taken into custody in the US.
Greens foreign affairs spokesperson David Shoebridge described the US action as “a gross breach of international law” that puts the world on a “dangerous path of lawless aggression”.
Lindstrom said she welcomes Albanese’s comments.
“Being so far away and with not the closest of trade and economic relationships with Venezuela, the Australian government’s response, sometimes it’s something that we can feel like we are needing.
“We’re needing to create noise.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Guzman y Gomez hidden logo detail

Low Burrito Sales in Australia Lead to $200 Million Loss for Major Company

Guzman y Gomez, a well-known burrito chain, has taken a significant financial…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…
Huge chunk of Central Australia to receive drenching

Central Australia Set for Major Downpour: What This Means for the Region

Central Australia is bracing for potential isolation due to an impending deluge…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs dives over for a try during the NRL Grand Final  between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Utai

Four Teens Face Charges in Connection with Alleged Shooting and Arson Attacks on Utai Family

In a shocking incident early Tuesday morning, former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers…
Australia's closest ally has raised the alarm over the Coalition's leadership turnover, even joking it may not be worth building a relationship with the new shadow foreign minister. New Zealand foreign minister Winston Peters says he is 'aghast' at the 'inexcusable' turmoil in Australian political ranks, which he attributes to 'ego'. Mr Peters is now in his third stint as New Zealand's top diplomat, having served in the governments of Helen Clark, Jacinda Ardern and, currently, Christopher Luxon.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Criticizes Australia: Diplomatic Tensions Rise in Trans-Tasman Relations

Australia’s closest ally has voiced concerns over the frequent changes in the…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…

Zuckerberg Testifies: Landmark Social Media Trial Poised to Reshape Tech Industry

In brief This was the first time Zuckerberg, who owns Meta, addressed…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…