Share this @internewscast.com

New Zealand has declared that US far-right groups the Proud Boys and The Base are terrorist organisations.

The two groups join 18 others, including Islamic State, that have been given an official terrorist designation, making it illegal in New Zealand to fund, recruit or participate in the groups, and obligating authorities to take action against them.

The Proud Boys emerged from far-right fringes during the Trump administration.
The Proud Boys and The Base have been declared terror organisations in New Zealand. (AP)

The New Zealand massacre inspired other white supremacists around the world, including a white gunman who killed 10 Black people at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York.

In the US, the State Department only lists foreign groups as terrorist entities. But the Proud Boys were last year named a terrorist group in Canada, while The Base has previously been declared a terrorist group in Britain, Canada and Australia.

In a 29-page explanation of the Proud Boys designation published Thursday, New Zealand authorities said the group’s involvement in the violent attack on the US Capitol building on January 6, 2021, amounted to an act of terrorism.
New Zealand Police Minister Chris Hipkins during his press conference. (AP)

The statement said that while several militia groups were involved, it was the Proud Boys who incited crowds, coordinated attacks on law enforcement officers and led other rioters to where they could break into the building.

The statement said there are unlinked but ideologically affiliated chapters of the Proud Boys operating in Canada and Australia.

New Zealand authorities argued that before the Capitol attack, the Proud Boys had a history of using street rallies and social media to intimidate opponents and recruit young men through demonstrations of violence. It said the group had put up various smoke screens to hide its extremism.

Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio wears a hat that says The War Boys and smokes a cigarette at a rally in Delta Park on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020, in Portland, Ore. (AP Photo/Allison Dinner)
Former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio has been charged with seditious conspiracy in the US. (AP)

Earlier this month, the former leader of the Proud Boys, Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, and four others linked to the group were charged in the US with seditious conspiracy for what federal prosecutors say was a coordinated attack on the Capitol.

The indictment alleges that the Proud Boys conspired to forcibly oppose the lawful transfer of presidential power. The five are scheduled to stand trial in August in Washington, DC’s federal court.

Asked by media in New Zealand if the Proud Boys weren’t better known for protest actions rather than extreme violence, New Zealand Police Minister Chris Hipkins said: “Well, violent protests attempting to overthrow the government, clearly there is evidence of that.”

Riots, violence and deaths after Capitol stormed

In making its case against The Base, New Zealand authorities said a key goal of the group was to “train a cadre of extremists capable of accelerationist violence.”

The statement said founder Rinaldo Nazzaro “has repetitively counselled members online about violence, the acquisition of weapons, and actions to accelerate the collapse of the US government and survive the consequent period of chaos and violence.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Woman being hit by a cement truck caught on camera

The 27-year-old woman was crossing the road at the intersection of Aberdeen…

Large cloudband stretching over Australia brings threat of more flooding and rain, experts say

A large northeast cloudband is stretching across Australia, bring the threat of…

Massive casualties in potential conflict, war game shows

The outcome of a potential Taiwan conflict between China and the USA…

Man accused over deaths of Muslim men faces court in US

The man accused of fatally shooting two Muslim men in Albuquerque has…
Amanda Couchman (pictured) was taken to hospital in Los Angeles on July 1, after suffering shortness of breath. She was placed in the ICU and put on life support with doctors soon diagnosing her with pneumococcal pneumonia

GoFundMe for NZ woman Amanda Couchman facing $211k bill from US hospital

Tourist left fighting for life in the US when dream holiday turned…

Meta’s AI chatbot thinks Turnbull still PM and drop bears ‘very real’

Meta’s new AI chatbot says Malcolm Turnbull is still prime minister, Roger…

High Court rebuffs Neill-Fraser again

Hobart grandmother Susan Neill-Fraser has failed in a second attempt to have…

Girl suffers significant burns after suspected backyard bonfire

A girl has suffered significant burns to her face after a suspected…