Share this @internewscast.com
An Australian citizen has been sentenced by Russia to 13 years in a maximum-security facility for participating with Ukrainian forces, according to state prosecutors in a Russian-controlled area of eastern Ukraine.
Oscar Jenkins, a 33-year-old Melbourne resident, was found guilty of being a “mercenary in an armed conflict” and received a 13-year sentence in a “strict regime penal colony” from a Russian court in Ukraine’s eastern Lugansk region.

The ruling determined that Jenkins was involved in military actions against Russian forces spanning from March to December 2024.

Russia and its eastern Ukrainian proxies consider foreigners travelling to fight in Ukraine as “mercenaries”.
This enables them to prosecute them under its criminal code, rather than treating them as captured prisoners of war with protections and rights under the Geneva Convention.
Russia-installed prosecutors said Jenkins “took part in combat operations against Russian military personnel between March and December 2024”.

They posted a video showing Jenkins standing in a courtroom behind a glass cage, his hands behind his back and his expression despondent.

A man standing behind glass windows, wearing a striped shirt, blue jeans and with a despondent look on his face.

Russian prosecutors released a video of Jenkins standing behind a glass enclosure in the courtroom. Source: Supplied / Prosecutors Office of Russian-controlled Luhansk

Wong says Jenkins must be treated as prisoner of war

Foreign Minister Penny Wong has sharply criticised Jenkins’ sentence, saying the Australian government was “appalled at the sham trial”.
Wong said that as a “full serving member of the regular Armed Forces of Ukraine”, Jenkins was a prisoner of war, and that the Australian government had demanded Russia give him “the protections afforded to him as a prisoner of war”.
“Russia is obligated to treat him in accordance with international humanitarian law, including humane treatment. We continue to hold serious concerns for Mr Jenkins.”
Wong said the Australian government was working with Ukraine and other partners, including the International Committee of the Red Cross, to advocate for Jenkins’ welfare and release.

Wong said the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade continues to provide consular support to Jenkins’ family.

Penny Wong speaking in front of yellow and white walls.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong emphasized Russia’s responsibility to treat Jenkins according to international humanitarian standards. Source: AAP / Dominic Giannini

Opposition home affairs spokesperson James Paterson described the situation as an egregious breach of international law, echoing Wong’s comments.

“Russia is relying on, frankly, a unique reading of the law to arrive at the position that he could be treated any differently other than a prisoner of war,” he told reporters in Melbourne on Saturday evening.

“He is a prisoner of war, he was fighting for the Ukrainian National Army, he was part of the Ukrainian Army, and he’s afforded all the protections of the Geneva Convention under that.”

Man wearing army greens in three-split image.

Ukrainian ambassador to Australia Vasyl Myroshnychenko has previously said his government added Jenkins to its list of prisoners of war and would negotiate for his release in an exchange. Source: AAP / Supplied

Russian forces captured Jenkins in December 2024.

, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said: “We certainly have not.”
“[Australia will] continue to make representations to the reprehensible regime of Vladimir Putin on behalf of Mr Jenkins,” he said.
He said Australia remained committed to Ukraine’s fight “for the international rule of law” and reaffirmed that his government would consider sending troops to support a Europe-led peacekeeping force in Ukraine.

For the latest from SBS News, and .
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…
The train station art was labelled 'AI slop'

Sydney Train Station Takes Down Controversial ‘AI Slop’ Mural Following Public Outcry

A mural at Sydney’s Redfern train station has been taken down after…

Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…
Jetstar

Jetstar Passengers Face New Delays Amid Urgent Airbus Repairs

Thousands of Airbus aircraft are currently grounded due to a major recall,…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Rising Tensions: What It Means for Global Relations

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house

Brave Uber Driver Halts Ride to Courageously Rescue Residents from Burning Home

An Uber driver unexpectedly halted a passenger’s trip to dash into a…

Airbus A320 Recall Alert: Key Details and Implications for Airlines and Passengers

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…