Share this @internewscast.com

Unions have savaged the Albanese government after it quietly abandoned weekly hours guarantees for more than 14,000 Pacific workers.
The Pacific Australia Labour Mobility scheme (PALM) allows workers from across the region, including Vanuatu, Fiji and East Timor, to work in industries where there are not enough local workers available.
The vast majority work in the agriculture and meat processing industries.
In 2023, the government announced the scheme’s 14,300 short-term workers would be guaranteed 30 hours of work each week, due to be introduced in April next year.

However, on Tuesday, the scheme’s website discreetly noted that the pledge had been abandoned — with a standing transitional requirement of 120 hours of work averaged over four weeks set to become permanent.

A factsheet stated the requirement “for employers to offer short-term workers 120 hours of work reconciled over 4 weeks has been established as ongoing and will no longer end on 31 March 2026”.
The document states that employers unable to offer at least 120 hours of work over the four weeks will have to pay workers an income equivalent to that time.
The move has drawn heated condemnation from the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), which remains concerned that many short-term workers are being left financially vulnerable under the PALM arrangements.
“The government’s failure to uphold its commitment to protect vulnerable PALM workers from exploitation by delivering minimum hours is a backwards step for workers’ rights in Australia,” ACTU president Michele O’Neil said.

“Unions are calling on the government to reevaluate its stance and enact the pledged 30 hours per week requirement, ensuring PALM workers receive fair treatment and can afford essential living expenses.”

The PALM scheme has been heavily promoted by government ministers during visits across the Pacific, where Australia is seeking to strengthen its diplomatic ties.
“All PALM workers and employers deserve to have a safe, secure and rewarding experience under the scheme,” Employment and Workplace Relations Minister Amanda Rishworth told SBS News in a statement on Wednesday.
“Keeping the current arrangements will continue to ensure income security for PALM workers, while allowing PALM scheme employers flexibility to deal with unexpected disruptions, such as natural disasters.”
“There has been strong compliance by employers to their minimum hours obligations under current arrangements, providing PALM workers with the income security they need.”
Farmers and employer groups had labelled the proposed changes unworkable, arguing they failed to reflect the nature of seasonal work.
Richard Shannon, the executive officer of the National Farmers’ Federation Horticulture Council, said growers “planning for the worst” from April would welcome the clarity around the scheme’s future, but warned the guarantees risked being a “handbrake” on the scheme’s viability for employers.
“This particular setting, more than any other, is the one that is causing the pain,” he told SBS News.
He said concerns raised by unions around worker exploitation as “baseless”, citing government audits of employers showing “no workers were receiving less than 30 hours of work anywhere”.

“This has crippled the scheme, and there’s no evidence to suggest they’ve solved a problem here,” Shannon said.

However, the measure never had the support of the Opposition, which called the guarantee “unworkable” and pledged during the election to review the PALM scheme.
On Wednesday, Opposition Pacific affairs spokesperson Jason Wood said the “rigid 30-hour weekly minimum” was “doomed from the start”.
“It completely ignored the seasonal and weather-dependent nature of farm work,” he told the Australian Associated Press.
“The government needs to stop treating regional employers as an afterthought and start working with them to strengthen, not sabotage, the PALM scheme.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Olympia’s Maggot Farms in Australia Tackle $36 Billion Global Challenge

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…