The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has criticised to Donald Trump's pledge to double tariffs on steel and aluminium.
Share this @internewscast.com

Albanese said today it was “an act of economic self-harm by the United States that will increase the costs for consumers in the United States.”

Australia will host representatives from the World Trade Organisation this week.

The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has criticised to Donald Trump's pledge to double tariffs on steel and aluminium.
The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has criticised to Donald Trump’s pledge to double tariffs on steel and aluminium. (Nine)

During a meeting in Paris hosted by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Trade Minister Don Farrell plans to engage with his US counterpart to advocate for the removal of tariffs.

On Wednesday, a three-judge panel of the US Court of International Trade determined that Trump exceeded his authority when he used the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act to declare a national emergency and impose tariffs on imports from nearly every country worldwide.

But Trump’s trade wars are far from over.

On Thursday, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit permitted the president to temporarily continue enforcing the tariffs under the emergency powers law while appealing the trade court’s ruling.

And the initial ruling covers only Trump’s country-specific imposts but doesn’t touch his sector-specific taxes, such as the extra charge on steel and aluminium.

Trump and Anthony Albanese
Albanese said today it was “an act of economic self-harm by the United States that will increase the costs for consumers in the United States.” (Nine)

Hegseth said China’s designs on Taiwan pose a threat to global peace and stability that requires “our allies and partners do their part on defence”.

“There is no reason to sugarcoat it. The threat China poses is real. And it could be imminent,” Hegseth said in a speech to the Shangri-La Dialogue, Asia’s premier defence forum, in Singapore on Saturday.

Albanese said billions had already been invested.

“What we’ll do is we’ll determine our defence policy. We’ve invested just across the forwards an additional $10 billion in defence,” he said.

Australian Defence Minister Richard Marles backed some of America’s concerns over Beijing.

He agreed to consider the US calls to boost defence spending.

“It’s not just the size of the military build up it’s the fact that it is happening without strategic reassurance, without a clear strategic intent,” he said.

“That’s a sentiment we understand and as I’ve said that’s a conversation we’re totally up for.”

China has railed against America’s efforts in recent years to tighten its alliances and stiffen its defence posture in Asia, while economic frictions rose to historic levels earlier this year after Trump imposed tariffs on China, sparking a tit-for-tat between the two countries that saw duties rise to more than 100 per cent on each other’s goods.
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The ute reversed before ramming into the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue, with the incident being captured on CCTV.

Police Clarify Synagogue Gate Ramming Incident: No Terrorism Involved, Investigation Ongoing

Authorities have clarified that last night’s incident involving a vehicle crashing into…
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…

From Dough to Dream Home: Pizza Chefs Overcome Challenges to Buy First House

Every day at Boss Pizzeria, a bustling Italian eatery in Melbourne’s eastern…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…

Breaking: US Supreme Court Overturns Trump’s Controversial Global Tariffs – What This Means for International Trade

Key Points In a 6-3 decision, the justices ruled that the law…
Gallipoli Barracks, Brisbane

Shocking Incident at Brisbane Military Base: Woman Arrested for Stabbing Man

A crime scene has been declared at Gallipoli Barracks after a man…

Former Prince Andrew Released from Police Custody Following Arrest

In Brief Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…
Blood test pathologist blood sample

Revolutionary Blood Test Offers Insight into Alzheimer’s Onset Timing

A new blood test could be able to clock when someone may…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…