Travel hotspot spends $330 million to stop tourists coming
Share this @internewscast.com

Barcelona’s cruise ship port is to close two of its terminals, as part of efforts to fight the city’s overtourism problem.

The closure, reducing the number of operational terminals to five starting next year, is part of a deal with Barcelona’s city council, as stated in a council release on Friday.

The agreement also allocates funds for a study to assess the movements of cruise-ship passengers throughout the city, which the council considers an initial step in crafting a sustainable mobility plan.

Barcelona is closing down two of its cruise ship terminals to curb tourism. (Davide Bonaldo/SOPA Images/LightRocket/Getty/CNN)

Furthermore, the agreement will focus on updating port infrastructure to enhance the sustainability of cruise operations. This includes enabling ships to connect to an eco-friendly onshore power source while docked, allowing them to turn off their engines and reduce emissions.

Overall, the plan will involve €185 million ($331.6 million) in public-private investment, according to the council statement.

It is part of wider efforts to deal with the pressures of overtourism in the city, where local opposition to mass tourism has been rising in recent years, including a now-famous protest in July 2024 in which visitors were squirted with water pistols.

Barcelona, Spain. (Getty//iStock)
The Spanish city is a magnet for tourists. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Barcelona’s popularity among tourists has led to complaints from residents about overcrowding and a lack of affordable housing as apartments are given over to short-term holiday lets.

In 2024, the Port of Barcelona, the biggest cruise port in Europe, reported 1.6 million cruise ship passengers “in transit.”

The majority come ashore when their ships dock in the morning, tour the city, and return by late afternoon to sail for their next destination, the Barcelona Tourism Consortium press office said in March.

Top 10 tourist destinations for travellers in 2024

The resulting crowds, at places like La Rambla street and in the adjacent Gothic quarter, the oldest part of town, are partly to blame for the ire among Barcelona’s residents.

Friday’s agreement is the latest in a series of efforts to reduce the impact of cruise tourism.

In October 2023, Barcelona closed its northern port terminal to cruise traffic, after an agreement with the local authorities to move ships further out of town.

That move followed a 2018 agreement between the port authorities and the city council to “move cruise activity away from urban areas… making them more sustainable,” the port authorities said in a statement at the time.

Also as a result of the 2018 agreement, the port closed another cruise terminal, the Maremagnum, and the area is now home to restaurants, bars, a sailing club and marina, an aquarium and a shopping mall.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Is Trump Challenging the Global Rules-Based Order? Understanding the Implications

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz recently joined a growing number of world leaders…
Haroula Kipouridou was working as a singer at a Greek tavern at the time of her murder.

Unveiling Justice: $1 Million Reward Offered in Chilling Cold Case Murder Investigation

A rare $1 million reward is being offered to help solve the…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…
Chris Baghsarian has been missing for more than a week.

Police Intensify Investigation into Burnt-Out Car in Urgent Search for Missing Grandfather

Police believe a car torched in Sydney‘s west earlier this week is…

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…

Burke Announces Initiation of Procedures to Proscribe Islamist Organization Hizb ut-Tahrir

In brief Burke said his department had received advice from ASIO that…
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…
More than 1500 alkaloid poppy plant heads were stolen from the Ballarat farm recently.

Urgent Health Alert Issued Following Theft of 1,700 Toxic Poppy Plants from Confidential Farm Location

Health authorities are raising the alarm after around 1700 toxic poppy plants…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…
Radical Islamist group closer to hate speech laws ban

Crackdown on Hate Speech: Islamist Group Faces Potential Ban

In a significant development, Australia’s Home Affairs Minister, Tony Burke, announced today…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…