The woman had her case mentioned for the second time on Wednesday at Beenleigh Magistrates Court.
Share this @internewscast.com

A woman charged with assaulting, torturing, and neglecting a four-year-old child over a span of 10 months is requesting access to a doctor’s expert medical evidence, as reported to a magistrate.

The woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, had her case mentioned for the second time on Wednesday at Beenleigh Magistrates Court, south of Brisbane.
Queensland Police laid 29 charges against the 32-year-old woman after her arrest in late January over claims she failed to provide the girl the necessities of life in a manner that left her “likely to be permanently injured”.
The woman had her case mentioned for the second time on Wednesday at Beenleigh Magistrates Court.
The woman had her case mentioned for the second time on Wednesday at Beenleigh Magistrates Court.(9News)

The police claim that the woman inflicted torture, caused grievous bodily harm, and committed six counts of assault resulting in bodily harm as part of domestic violence crimes against the child in Slacks Creek, a suburb of Logan near Beenleigh, from March 4, 2024, to January 9 of this year.

The woman was due to appear in court via video link from Brisbane Women’s Correctional Centre but she was excused on the day.

Solicitor Adriane Hillier told Acting Magistrate Gary Finger that she had received a partial brief of evidence from prosecutors on Wednesday.

“Some medical documents are still pending … The case file is quite extensive. We are requesting a postponement to examine the file,” stated Hillier.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Darrel Armfield did not oppose the application.

The accused woman did not apply for bail.

Finger adjourned the matter until May 7 and remanded the woman in custody.

Logan Child Protection and Investigation Unit detectives previously alleged the woman was arrested after they received a tip-off regarding a young girl suffering significant injuries.

Police alleged medical staff found the girl had extensive injuries, including bruising, burns, fractures and disfigurement.

Detective Acting Inspector Kent Ellis at the time claimed the actions of uniformed police and investigators had saved the child’s life.

“The alleged physical abuse this little girl endured is amongst the worst I have seen in my career,” Detective Ellis said.

The woman was additionally charged with 18 counts of supplying cannabis between April 2023 and late December 2024.

She was also charged with possessing scales, clip-seal bags and a mobile phone suspected of being used in drug crimes.

Support is available from Lifeline on 13 11 14, Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 (for people aged 5 to 25) and 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

Share this @internewscast.com