Share this @internewscast.com

Tax office whistleblower Richard Boyle, who exposed heavy-handed debt collection tactics, has struck a plea deal with prosecutors.
The 49-year-old has admitted to four criminal charges linked to his exposure of unethical debt recovery practices at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
Boyle appeared in the Adelaide District Court on Tuesday, where he pleaded guilty to disclosing protected information to another entity, making a record of protected information, using a listening device to record a private conversation and recording other people’s tax file numbers.

The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions withdrew a further 15 charges, while another five charges were dropped in March.

What did Richard Boyle do?

Boyle, a former ATO debt collection officer, raised concerns internally about debt recovery practices in October 2017, when he grew worried about operations in the tax office.
Believing his complaints had been ignored, he went public on the ABC’s Four Corners program about the tactics used against taxpayers who owed the ATO money.

In 2019, he was charged with 66 criminal offences, but many of them were dropped over time.

How did his supporters react to the plea deal?

Outside court, Whistleblowers Justice Fund founder Rex Patrick said Boyle had “pleaded guilty to helping all Australians by disclosing poor conduct by the tax office, who were stripping funds from businesses who were in distress”.
“He should be wearing a big S on his chest, as a superhero, instead of a conviction,” the former senator said.
All of the charges Boyle admitted were criminal offences with both financial penalties and a maximum two-year prison sentence, he said.

“By pleading guilty, he can sidestep a prison sentence, yet a conviction might still stand, which will be a significant burden to bear each time he seeks employment,” Patrick noted.

‘Heartbreaking day’

The Human Rights Law Centre’s Kieran Pender said it was a “heartbreaking day for Richard Boyle and whistleblowers in Australia”.
“He should never have been prosecuted, and his case clearly demonstrates how our laws are failing to protect people who bravely speak up,” he said.
“Prosecuting whistleblowers has a chilling effect on truth and transparency, and sends a clear message to prospective whistleblowers that if you speak up you will face punishment.
“The re-elected Albanese government must urgently reform the law to prevent a repeat of this prosecution and commit to establishing a federal Whistleblower Protection Authority.”
Last year, the South Australia Court of Appeal ruled Boyle was not protected by federal whistleblowing laws — because the charges related not to his whistleblowing, but steps Boyle had taken in preparation to blow the whistle internally, including taking photos of documents and recording conversations.
Boyle returns to court for sentencing submissions on 1 August.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…