Alan Jones leaves Downing Centre Local Court on December 18, 2024. Photo: Rhett Wyman / SMH
Share this @internewscast.com

Legal representatives for the contentious radio personality Alan Jones have hinted at a possible request to put his sexual abuse case on hold, due to an ongoing disagreement over the electronic devices that were confiscated from him over a year ago.

The 84-year-old Jones, who once ruled the airwaves, faces charges of 25 counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual touching, involving nine alleged victims. He has maintained his innocence in the face of these accusations.

His legal battle is slated for a hearing in August 2026. However, during a recent session at Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court, his barrister expressed frustration over the lack of critical information still pending.

Alan Jones leaves Downing Centre Local Court on December 18, 2024. Photo: Rhett Wyman / SMH
Alan Jones has been charged with 25 counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual touching. (Rhett Wyman / SMH)

“That is, in our submission, an unsatisfactory state of affairs,” remarked Gabrielle Bashir SC, highlighting the ongoing complications in the case.

In response, Crown prosecutor Emma Curran stated that the police had already submitted all available evidence. Nevertheless, she acknowledged that data extraction from five electronic devices, confiscated during Jones’ arrest, remains incomplete.

Adding to the complexity, Jones has challenged the legality of the search conducted at his residence and the subsequent seizure of his devices. He argues that these devices should be exempt from disclosure, citing protections granted by legal and journalistic privileges.

The electronic devices have not been searched as a result of the concerns communicated by his legal team, the court was told.

“What flows from that is the police are not in the position to serve the entirety of the brief of evidence until those (electronic) items have been reviewed,” Ms Curran said. 

Ms Bashir contended she had repeatedly asked for material in relation to the search and seizure at her client’s home to no avail. 

The prosecution was obliged to share the information, which could be relevant to an application to stay the proceedings, she said.

The suggestion that the prosecution was withholding any exculpatory material was strongly rejected by Curran.

Alan Jones' barrister Gabrielle Bashir SC and instructing solicitor Bryan Wrench leave John Maddison Tower on Thursday
Alan Jones’ barrister Gabrielle Bashir SC and instructing solicitor Bryan Wrench leave John Maddison Tower on Thursday (Clare Sibthorpe)

Magistrate Glenn Walsh ordered that the brief of evidence against Jones be served on his lawyers by December 19 and adjourned the dispute surrounding disclosure until next year. 

Jones was arrested in November 2024 after an eight-month police investigation into historical sexual assault. 

He is accused of sexual misconduct against nine complainants between 2003 and 2020, in private as well as places including restaurants, events and the Sydney Opera House. 

Two of the alleged victims were driving the former teacher around when he indecently assaulted them, according to prosecutors. 

The charges, which he has claimed are “all either baseless or they distort the truth”, followed a hugely influential broadcasting career launched in 1985.

Jones became a feared interviewer who excelled at questioning leaders while dividing audiences with his outspoken views. 

He worked with Sydney radio station 2UE before joining rival 2GB, where he was a long-time ratings juggernaut until 2020.

Alongside a failed tilt at politics, he also coached the Australian national men’s rugby union team through some historic achievements between 1984 and 1988.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…

Join Randa Abdel-Fattah at the Sydney Writers’ Festival: A Must-Attend Event for Literature Lovers!

In brief Sydney Writers’ Festival said in a statement it was “not…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…
24 cats were taken from the woman, who is not allowed to be in the care of more than five felines.

Victorian Property Raid Uncovers Dozens of Animals in Distress: Serial Cruelty Offender Under Investigation

A serial animal cruelty offender, who a court found has been abusing…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…