In a major shake up of New Zealand 's media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)'s free-to-air network for just one dollar. Former Newshub presenter Samantha Hayes will continue to present 'ThreeNews' under the new deal
Share this @internewscast.com

In a major shake-up of New Zealand’s media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)’s free-to-air network for just one dollar. 

The announcement was made to the New Zealand stock exchange on Tuesday. 

Sky TV, known for its pay-per-view service similar to New Zealand’s Foxtel, is set to purchase all of WBD’s television channels. This acquisition includes channels such as Three (which was previously TV3), Bravo, Eden, Rush, HGTV, along with the BVOD catch-up service, ThreeNow.

Sky has officially announced that it will “acquire 100% of the shares in Discovery NZ Limited from Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Warner Bros Discovery, Inc,” on a cash-free, debt-free basis for the nominal price of $1.

The shocking news comes five years after Discovery purchased Three from MediaWorks in 2020 for a rumoured US$20million. 

Stay updated on A-list stories, red carpet blunders, exclusive photos, and trending moments by subscribing to the DailyMail’s revamped showbiz newsletter.

In a major shake up of New Zealand 's media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)'s free-to-air network for just one dollar. Former Newshub presenter Samantha Hayes will continue to present 'ThreeNews' under the new deal

In a major shake up of New Zealand ‘s media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)’s free-to-air network for just one dollar. Former Newshub presenter Samantha Hayes will continue to present ‘ThreeNews’ under the new deal 

Discovery said the completion of the sale is expected to take place on August 1. 

This deal will profoundly reshape the commercial TV and streaming landscape in New Zealand, as it forges the biggest media company in the country by revenue and audience — all for the price of a singular gold coin. 

In April last year, WBD confirmed the closure of its New Zealand newsroom Newshub, ending the 6pm and AM TV news bulletins on channel Three. 

Sky will assume all of WBD’s ongoing commercial contracts, including a partnership deal with Stuff (stuff.co.nz) that was struck with WBD days after Newshub closed last year. 

The digital publisher has been providing ThreeNews since June 6, 2024. 

Effectively, the 6pm news moved online – with Stuff hiring several beloved Newshub presenters who had been made redundant. 

Sinead Boucher, who purchased the Stuff company from Australia’s Nine Entertainment for $1 in 2020, said she is ‘delighted’ to see Sky bring TV3 back into New Zealand ownership ‘for the first time in decades’.

Sky announced it had 'agreed to acquire 100% of the shares in Discovery NZ Limited from Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd (a subsidiary of Warner Bros Discovery, Inc)' for $1 on a cash-free, debt-free basis

Sky announced it had ‘agreed to acquire 100% of the shares in Discovery NZ Limited from Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd (a subsidiary of Warner Bros Discovery, Inc)’ for $1 on a cash-free, debt-free basis

‘My word this industry moves at pace!’ ThreeNews presenter Samantha Hayes posted to Instagram on Tuesday. 

‘I was only just getting around to marking our one year anniversary of ThreeNews this month and now another seismic shift in the media landscape with Sky buying Three, ThreeNow and Discovery NZ’s many other assets. 

‘We’ll keep making our 6pm news bulletin like we always do and I’m excited about what the future holds… watch this space!’

Sky’s chief executive Sophie Moloney told Stuff the deal made sense, both strategically and financially for the pay TV giant. 

‘We’ve made no secret of the fact we want to grow our advertising revenue and the one platform we’re actually missing in that ecosystem was a BVOD [broadcast video on demand] platform,’ she said. 

‘Ultimately, we think this shores up the local media ecosystem which we’re thrilled to participate in.’ 

Warner Bros. Discovery will remain in New Zealand through its ‘highly successful’ film production business WBITVP, suite of pay TV channels, and a content licensing deal with Sky’s streaming platform, Neon. 

Kiwi media pundits are saying  the $1 price tag indicates that Discovery NZ’s parent, WBD, simply wanted to exit the free-to-air business. 

Warner Bros. Discovery Australia and NZ managing director Michael Brooks said the sale will ensure long-term success for the company's other NZ operations

Warner Bros. Discovery Australia and NZ managing director Michael Brooks said the sale will ensure long-term success for the company’s other NZ operations 

Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was not concerned that his country's second largest broadcaster had been sold for $1, when asked about it in parliament: 'Nothing to do with me'

Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was not concerned that his country’s second largest broadcaster had been sold for $1, when asked about it in parliament: ‘Nothing to do with me’

‘Our decision to sell the business follows an extensive review of options to ensure long-term success for our New Zealand operations,’ Australia and NZ managing director Michael Brooks said. 

‘Advertiser behaviour has shifted, viewer habits have shifted, and we’re still going through this digital transition,’ he told Stuff. 

‘The media industry has changed right across the board. I don’t think there’s a market or a company that hasn’t been impacted over the last few years.’ 

The sale is the latest move in WBD’s global restructuring efforts, as the media Goliath splits its businesses up. 

One arm of the company will focus on streaming, and the other on global networks –  many of which were downsized, or shut down, across Europe in 2023. 

Brooks said the New Zealand sale has ‘absolutely no connection’ to the global restructuring efforts. 

Meanwhile, NZ Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was unbothered about the deal. 

‘Yeah, I saw those reports,’ Luxon said in parliament.

‘Obviously it’s a commercial decision and up to the parties to make that decision. Got nothing to do with me.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is under pressure from the US to take an unfavourable peace deal with Russia.

Top Aide to Zelenskyy Steps Down Following Anti-Corruption Probe at Residence

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Friday the resignation of his powerful chief…
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Miraculous Escape: Survivor Shares Harrowing Tale from Devastating Hong Kong Fire

Just after 3 p.m., William Li received a startling call from his…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…

Ukrainian Political Shake-Up: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Following Anti-Corruption Raid

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…
Lukas Schindler from Switzerland crossing the finish line at the Sydney marathon.

Heroic Swiss Tourist Identified After Bravely Attempting to Save Girlfriend from Shark Attack

A Swiss tourist who bravely attempted to ward off a shark during…