Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks
Share this @internewscast.com

A lawyer has been charged over an alleged violent kidnapping and ransom plot in western Sydney late last year.

A 31-year-old man was allegedly assaulted while making a phone call inside his car in Granville on November 23. The assault was carried out by three unidentified men armed with bats, who bound him with cable ties and transported him to another location, likely a residence in St Marys, where he was tortured.

According to Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks, the alleged assault was recorded on a mobile phone and used as leverage to demand ransom from the man’s brother.

Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks
Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks. (Nine)

“The offences were very organised and they were very violent crimes,” he told reporters today.

The man’s brother paid the sum in cash, but the group allegedly demanded more money.

During an alleged exchange in Panania the following day, a fight broke out and the 31-year-old was able to escape.

The man was rushed to hospital and treated for injuries that included a black eye, cuts to his head and a deep wound on his left hand. 

Three men have previously been charged and remain before the courts.

Last night, detectives arrested a 26-year-old lawyer in Austral and searched his home on Ulm Street in Ermington.

An alleged weapon seized as part of the investigation. (NSW Police)

The individual was taken to Liverpool Police Station and charged with seven offenses, including two counts of knowingly directing the activities of a criminal group, taking/detaining a person in company with the intention of ransom, and wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Marks alleged that the lawyer was associated with a long-standing drug supply operation and had instructed a gang to orchestrate and execute the kidnapping and ransom using encrypted apps.

“This investigation was conducted in close collaboration with other supportive law enforcement agencies,” Marks noted, “connecting the male arrested yesterday to a sophisticated drug supply operation dating back to 2022.”

“Police allege that the encrypted communications showed the male planned to kidnap or kill a drug runner that he suspected had stolen drugs.” 

Marks was unable to say whether the man had known the three other men charged over the incident through his work.

One of the men before the courts charged over an alleged violent kidnapping in Western Sydney.
One of the men before the courts charged over an alleged violent kidnapping in Western Sydney. (NSW Police)

The lawyer has been refused bail and faced the Liverpool Local Court today.

Detectives are continuing to investigate members of the involved gang.

“Those that are responsible or were involved, we will ensure that we’ll do everything we can to get them before the courts,” Marks said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…

Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…
Nicole Kidman 's views on marriage have been revealed in a resurfaced interview. Kidman filed for divorce from her second husband, Keith Urban, 58, in September, citing irreconcilable differences. Pictured together

Resurfaced Interview Reveals Nicole Kidman’s Emotional Insights on Divorce Amid Keith Urban Separation Rumors

Insights into Nicole Kidman’s perspective on marriage have come to light through…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Heartwarming Ceremony at The Lodge

Anthony Albanese has tied the knot with his fiancée Jodie Haydon at…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…

Government Stalled: Public Outcry as Critical Reforms Remain Unaddressed

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Rising Tensions: What It Means for Global Relations

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…