Share this @internewscast.com
Key Highlights
  • Donald Trump has introduced tariffs targeting Japan, South Korea, South Africa, Malaysia, Kazakhstan, and other nations.
  • The European Union is not currently affected, although it faces potential 17 per cent tariffs on food and agriculture products.
  • To date, only the United Kingdom and Vietnam have secured trade agreements before the deadline on 9 July.
U.S. President Donald Trump has unveiled a decision to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Japan and South Korea, aiming to increase pressure on these allies and several other nations to finalize trade agreements with the United States.
Trump additionally announced tariffs of 25 per cent on Malaysia and Kazakhstan, 30 per cent on South Africa, and 40 per cent on Laos and Myanmar.
Indonesia has been hit with a 32 per cent tariff, while Cambodia and Thailand face a 36 per cent tariff.
Bosnia is subject to a 30 per cent tariff, while Bangladesh and Serbia are facing a 35 per cent tariff.

Trump had previously indicated that a set of letters would be dispatched to notify countries about the reinstatement of previously delayed tariffs first planned in April.

In near-identically worded letters to Japanese and South Korean leaders, Trump said the tariff hikes came as their trading relationships with the US were “unfortunately, far from reciprocal”.
The tariffs set out in Trump’s latest letters are due to take effect at the start of August. He warned of further escalation if the countries involved retaliated against the duties.
Currently, the affected countries have been hit with a 10 per cent levy that Trump imposed on almost all trading partners.
But Trump said he was ready to lower the new levels if countries changed their trade policies: “We will, perhaps, consider an adjustment to this letter.”
Japan’s Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba had earlier said he “won’t easily compromise” in trade talks with the US.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt announced that Trump would be signing an order to postpone his original deadline for stricter tariffs from 9 July to 1 August.

A woman with blonde hair holds up a document for the press to see.

Leavitt further explained that, in addition to Japan and South Korea, around 12 other nations would soon be receiving similar notifications from Trump. Source: Getty / Andrew Harnik

Leavitt said besides Japan and South Korea, there would be approximately 12 other partners receiving letters from Trump soon.

With the deadline extension, she noted Trump would set out the “reciprocal tariff rate” for partners in the coming month as negotiations continue.

Amid market turmoil, he then suspended the initial tariffs for 90 days, a deadline that would have expired Wednesday without the latest extension.

While the Trump administration had signalled hopes of striking dozens of deals by July — at one point boasting of “90 deals in 90 days” — there have been limited results so far.
Asked why Trump opted to start with South Korea, Leavitt said: “It’s the president’s prerogative, and those are the countries he chose.”

US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said there would be a number of deals coming up: “We are going to have several announcements in the next 48 hours.”

“We’ve had a lot of people change their tune in terms of negotiations. So my mailbox was full last night with a lot of new offers, a lot of new proposals,” Bessent told CNBC.
He said he would meet with his Chinese counterpart in the coming weeks.
The two sides have so far held high-level talks in Geneva and London. But the US and China’s pause on tit-for-tat tariffs is due to expire in mid-August.

On whether he was disappointed in the number of trade deals achieved so far, Trump’s trade adviser Peter Navarro maintained he is “happy with the progress we’ve had”.

Trump has also threatened another 10 per cent tariff on countries aligning themselves with the emerging BRICS nations, accusing them of “anti-American policies” after they criticised his duties at a summit.
For now, partners are still rushing to avert Trump’s tariffs altogether.
The European Commission said EU chief Ursula von der Leyen had a “good exchange” with Trump on trade when the pair spoke on the weekend.
The EU will not be receiving a letter setting out higher tariffs, EU sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs dives over for a try during the NRL Grand Final  between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Utai

Four Teens Face Charges in Connection with Alleged Shooting and Arson Attacks on Utai Family

In a shocking incident early Tuesday morning, former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…
Guzman y Gomez hidden logo detail

Low Burrito Sales in Australia Lead to $200 Million Loss for Major Company

Guzman y Gomez, a well-known burrito chain, has taken a significant financial…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…