Share this @internewscast.com

Key Points
  • A UN-supported famine review panel has identified that over half a million individuals in Gaza are facing famine conditions.
  • The report found evidence of famine in Gaza City and nearby areas from July through mid-August.
  • Israel disputes the famine findings, labeling the report as “unprofessional”.
The hunger monitor committee sanctioned by the UN stated on Friday that Gaza City and adjacent regions are officially enduring famine, with expectations for it to expand further.
This UN-associate committee disclosed that 514,000 people—nearly one-fourth of the Gaza population—are suffering from famine, with the projection of this figure increasing to 641,000 by September’s end.
Included among these individuals are 280,000 residing in the northern zone encompassing Gaza City, referred to as Gaza governorate, deemed to be in famine following nearly two years of conflict between Israel and the Palestinian faction Hamas.
It marks the first time the IPC has noted famine beyond the African continent, with forecasted expansions of famine into the central and southern territories of Deir al-Balah and Khan Younis by next month’s conclusion.

Furthermore, the IPC indicated that circumstances in the northern territories could potentially be harsher than in Gaza City, although lack of data hinders precise assessment.

Israel dismissed the findings as false and biased, saying the IPC had based its survey on partial data largely provided by Hamas, which did not take into account a recent influx of food.
The report was an “outright lie”, said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“Israel maintains no policy of enforced starvation,” a statement read. “Since the onset of conflict, Israel has facilitated the entry of 2 million tons of aid into the Gaza Strip, an average of over a ton per individual.”

How is famine classified?

The IPC — composed of 21 relief organizations, UN bodies, and regional groups backed by the European Union, Germany, Britain, and Canada — previously registered famines four times: Somalia in 2011, South Sudan in 2017 and 2020, and Sudan in 2024.

For a region to be classified as in famine at least 20 per cent of people must be suffering extreme food shortages, with one in three children acutely malnourished and two people out of every 10,000 dying daily from starvation or malnutrition and disease.
Following the announcement, United Nations humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said it was a “21st century famine, watched over by drones and the most advanced military technology in history”.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the Gaza famine was a “man-made disaster, a moral indictment, and a failure of humanity itself”.

He called for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages still held by Hamas and unfettered humanitarian access.

IPC says famine-related mortality could escalate

Israel controls all access to Gaza. COGAT, the arm of the Israeli military that oversees aid flows, said the IPC report ignored Israeli data on aid deliveries and was part of an international campaign aimed at denigrating Israel.
“The IPC report is not only biased but also serves Hamas’ propaganda campaign,” the agency said.
The report said “urgent steps should be taken to allow for a full humanitarian assessment in this governorate.”
The report details that “as this famine is entirely man-made, it can be halted and reversed,” with the committee calling for swift action.

“The time for debate and hesitation has passed, starvation is present and is rapidly spreading,” it read.

“There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that an immediate, at-scale response is needed.
“Any further delay — even by days — will result in a totally unacceptable escalation of famine-related mortality.

“Without a ceasefire enabling unobstructed humanitarian aid to the entire Gaza Strip, and absent immediate reinstatement of vital food, health, nutrition, and WASH services, preventable mortalities will drastically rise.”

Underscoring those worries, Britain called the IPC report “utterly horrifying” and demanded that Israel immediately allow unhindered supplies of food, medicines and fuel.

Britain, Canada, Australia and many European states recently said the humanitarian crisis had reached “unimaginable levels”.

UN refugee agency says Israel blocking ‘warehouses full of food’

On Saturday, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) said it had “warehouses full of food” that Israel was blocking the distribution of.
“Famine in Gaza City can be stopped,” the Palestinian refugee agency said in a post on social media platforrm X.
“Reverse the ongoing catastrophe — flood #aza with a massive scale-up of aid through the United Nations, including UNRWA.
“UNRWA’s warehouses alone in Jordan and Egypt are full. There is enough food, medicines and hygiene supplies ready to fill 6,000 trucks. The State of Israel must let us bring aid into Gaza.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Government Stalled: Public Outcry as Critical Reforms Remain Unaddressed

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…
Former Ernst & Young partner Leonard Nicita (pictured) lost his breach of contract case after being warned over inappropriate behaviour at a Miami Vice-themed office Christmas party

Aussie Workers Alerted: Christmas Party Misconduct Can Cost You Big, Warns Sacked EY Executive’s $1.3M Lesson

The dismissal of a high-ranking Ernst & Young partner has become a…

Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…
A man wades through a flooded road carrying a cat in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Nov, 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)

Devastating Sri Lanka Floods: Death Toll Climbs to 132 Amidst Mudslide Havoc

The death toll in Sri Lanka from Cyclone Ditwah’s devastating floods and…

Devastating Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 600 Lives: Ongoing Relief Efforts Struggle to Cope

More than 600 people have been killed in floods and landslides across…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…
Nicole Kidman 's views on marriage have been revealed in a resurfaced interview. Kidman filed for divorce from her second husband, Keith Urban, 58, in September, citing irreconcilable differences. Pictured together

Resurfaced Interview Reveals Nicole Kidman’s Emotional Insights on Divorce Amid Keith Urban Separation Rumors

Insights into Nicole Kidman’s perspective on marriage have come to light through…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Urges Caution: Advises Treating Venezuelan Airspace as Off-Limits

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Heartwarming Ceremony at The Lodge

Anthony Albanese has tied the knot with his fiancée Jodie Haydon at…