Prime Minister Anthony Albanese
Share this @internewscast.com

Standing on the steps of Sydney’s iconic landmark, the Prime Minister condemned Sunday’s tragic event as “pure evil,” yet assured it would not sow discord among Australians.

“Even in that dark moment, we witnessed how evil can never overshadow the courage, decency, compassion, and kindness that define Australians,” declared Prime Minister Albanese.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese attended a multi-faith memorial on the steps of St Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney on Wednesday evening. (Instagram/Anthony Albanese)

“As a nation, we are stronger than those who attempt to divide us.”

“The resilient spirit of our country, which we have collectively nurtured, will always triumph over those who wish to fracture it. We are braver than those who aim to instill fear,” he continued.

Leading the gathering, Sydney’s Archbishop Anthony Fisher called for an end to “inflammatory messages” at protests.

“The troubling presence of antisemitism in our city and nation is a challenge for us all,” he remarked.

“For two years now, week after week, demonstrations have taken place here in Hyde Park, within earshot of The Great Synagogue, where inflammatory messages were articulated unchecked.”

Fisher said things like chants and slogans at such events had “turned up the temperature” and “must stop”.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese
Speaking on the steps of the famous Sydney landmark, the PM labelled Sunday’s incident as “pure evil” but promised it would not divide the Australian people. (Instagram/Anthony Albanese)

Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Sussan Ley addressed a large crowd at a candlelight vigil in Bondi, vowing that if elected she would launch a hard-line policy on hatred and radicalism.

“My message to you is this – if I become prime minister, and you practise hate speech, and you talk about radical Islam in a way that harms and hurts your fellow man and woman, and if you glorify hatred, and you are not an Australian citizen, you will be deported,” she said.

“And if you are an Australian citizen, you will be arrested.”

Ley slammed the government’s inaction ahead of the shooting, saying “the time for action was two years ago. The time for our government to stand strong in the face of Jewish hatred was two years ago”.

Sussan Ley
Sussan Ley addressed crowds at a candlelight vigil in Bondi, promising a tough stance on terrorism. (Instagram/Sussan Ley)

It echoed the comments of former Liberal MP Josh Frydenberg, who slammed Albanese’s handling of growing antisemitism in Australia ahead of the terror attack.

Frydenberg later doubled down on his comments during a TV appearance.

“From the hours after October the 7th, we saw those scenes on the steps of the Opera House, where people were celebrating the death of Jews,” Frydenberg said on ABC’s 7.30.

“Since that time, we’ve had the doxing of Jewish creatives. We’ve had the boycotting of Jewish businesses. We’ve had the firebombing of places of worship, synagogues across the country, we’ve had childcare centres bombed, and we’ve had daily protests.

Josh Frydenberg
Josh Frydenberg doubled down on his earlier spray against the prime minister during an appearance on ABC’s 7.30, saying he holds Anthony Albanese accountable for the Bondi terror attack. (ABC)

“All of this has occurred on the prime minister’s watch, and these events created in Australia a radicalised community upon which not only have Jewish Australians been attacked, but all of Australia has been attacked now.

“The prime minister has been told repeatedly along the way that stronger action needed to be taken.”

Earlier on Wednesday, the surviving alleged gunman, Naveed Akram, was charged with 59 offences, including 15 counts of murder.

The news came as the first of the funerals for victims began – some just kilometres away from where the tragedy unfolded when the 24-year-old and his dad Sajid Akram, 50, allegedly opened fire with long-arm guns at Jewish celebrations marking the first day of Hannukah.

Naveed Akram.
Surviving alleged gunman, Naveed Akram, was charged with 59 offences, including 15 counts of murder. (Nine)

On a more positive note, more victims were discharged from hospital on Wednesday but 17 people are still receiving treatment, according to NSW Health.

If you have been impacted by the terror attack in Bondi, there is support available.

To contact Lifeline Australia, call 13 11 14 or text 0477 13 11 14.For people under 25 years old, you can contact Kids Helpline at 1800 55 1800. Both of these are available on a 24/7 basis.

If you wish to donate blood, you can find your nearest donor centre here.
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
police generic

Authorities Pursue Suspects in Widespread Parking Lot Scam Investigation

Two men are before the courts as police investigate an alleged theft…
A grandmother who dedicated her life to her local church and volunteering at a primary school was killed in a horror crash involving an allegedly stolen car.Maureen Crosland, 84, was travelling with another woman yesterday to pick up a wedding dress for her granddaughter when the Alfa Romeo she was travelling in was hit by a car that was allegedly speeding on the Old Hume Highway in Camden, south-west Sydney.

Church Community Mourns Loss of Devoted Volunteer in Tragic Car Accident

A grandmother who dedicated her life to her local church and volunteering…
Mystery blast burns boats and forces restaurant to evacuate

Unexplained Explosion Ignites Boats and Triggers Restaurant Evacuation

A mystery blast has rocked a Perth harbour, destroying boats and forcing…

Urgent Search Resumes for Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont in Remote Outback: Latest Updates

The investigation into the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont has intensified as…

Angus Taylor’s Bold Immigration & Tax Strategy: Key Insights Before the Front Bench Reveal

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, is preparing to introduce his revamped front…
Angus Taylor and Jane Hume at a press conference

Angus Taylor Faces New Challenge as One Nation Matches Coalition Support

For the first time, One Nation is on level pegging with the…

Anzac Day 2023: Discover Which Australian States Observe the Public Holiday

Residents of Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, are set to…
FILE - Former President Barack Obama talks with then President-elect Donald Trump as Melania Trump reads the funeral program before the state funeral for former President Jimmy Carter at Washington National Cathedral in Washington, Jan. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)

Barack Obama Criticizes Donald Trump for Controversial Video

In a recent interview, former US President Barack Obama criticized a controversial…
Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after it was seen driving erratically.

Melbourne Chaos: Undercover Police Car Intercepts Reckless Driver in Dramatic City Center Clash

Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after…
NSW Police Assistant Commisioner Brett McFadden could not say why police wanted to stop the man.

E-Bike Crash Leaves Man in Critical Condition Amid Police Pursuit Allegations

A man has been left with serious head injuries after crashing his…
A young woman has been left shaken after opening an online fashion order to discover it was crawling with ants and what appeared to be insect eggs

Outrageous Discovery: Shopper Shocked by Disturbing Find in Parcel from Australian Fashion Retailer

A young shopper experienced a disturbing surprise when she opened her online…
The overlooked 500 per cent price increase blocking new housing

Hidden Costs: The 500% Price Surge Hindering New Home Construction

You’d imagine that in a country the size of Australia, finding new…