Flaming chunk of suspected space junk crash lands on WA mine site
Share this @internewscast.com

At around 2 pm local time (5 pm AEDT) yesterday, workers at a Pilbara mine site were taken aback by the sight of a mysterious burning object. They promptly contacted emergency services to report the unusual find.

After a thorough investigation, authorities confirmed that the carbon fiber material did not originate from any commercial aircraft.

A flaming chunk of suspected space junk has crash landed in outback Western Australia. (WA Police)

Police described the item as resembling a “composite-overwrapped pressure vessel or rocket tank,” which aligns with components typically found in aerospace equipment.

In a statement, police noted, “The object remains under investigation, although its features suggest it may be space re-entry debris, based on known characteristics.”

To further analyze and identify the object’s nature and origin, engineers from the Australian Space Agency will conduct a detailed technical assessment.

It is common practice for space agencies to release debris into the atmosphere during operations.

“It is on purpose that this bit of rocket body has landed back, but it could just be the way that it’s been tumbling that this piece was able to survive,” Perth Observatory’s Matt Woods said.

The last time space junk landed in WA was just two years ago when an Indian rocket’s tank crashed down in Green Head.

They said it appeared to be a “composite-overwrapped pressure vessel or rocket tank, consistent with aerospace components”. (WA Police)

Earlier this year, parts of a Mother’s Day meteor scattered over the outback.

“[The] great thing about WA is we’re the second-biggest state in the world so we’ve got a lot of land mass that this stuff can land on,” Woods said.

NASA was famously fined for littering when its defunct space station – Skylab – disintegrated over Esperance. 

The Australian Space Agency is still investigating the source of yesterday’s discovery.

It says there’s no threat to public safety.

Only one person has been hit by falling space waste and it was only the size of a soft drink can.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…
Award-winning British playwright dead at the age of 88

Renowned British Playwright Passes Away at 88

Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his witty and thought-provoking works,…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…

Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Urges Caution: Advises Treating Venezuelan Airspace as Off-Limits

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…

Government Stalled: Public Outcry as Critical Reforms Remain Unaddressed

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…