Share this @internewscast.com

The investigation into the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont has intensified as authorities return to the remote Oak Park Station in South Australia. Just days ago, this unsettling case was escalated to a major crime status, with police indicating they have a suspect in mind.

Gus was last seen playing under the watchful eye of his grandmother on September 27 at the family’s homestead, nestled in the rugged outback of South Australia. The search for answers took a dramatic turn on February 5 when authorities named someone residing at the remote station as a suspect in the boy’s disappearance, which they fear may have resulted in his death.

Although Gus’s grandparents, mother, and younger brother were all present at the property when he vanished, police have been clear in stating that his parents are not considered suspects. This assurance comes as the investigation zeroes in on other individuals at the station.

In a recent development, police have dispatched officers back to the sheep station, located 45 kilometers south of Yunta in the Mid North of the state. They will scour the area for evidence over the coming days, determined to uncover any clues that might lead them to Gus or provide clarity about the events that transpired.

Detective Superintendent Darren Fielke of the South Australia Police shed light on the complexities of the case, revealing that a resident of the station has ceased cooperating with the investigation. This withdrawal followed the discovery of numerous inconsistencies and discrepancies in their account, adding another layer of intrigue to this already perplexing case.

South Australia Police detective superintendent Darren Fielke previously said that a person who lived at the station had withdrawn cooperation in the investigation after “a number of inconsistencies and discrepancies” were identified in the information they provided.

Gus’ grandparents Josie and Shannon Murray released a brief statement via their lawyers earlier in February in response to the police allegations.

“We are absolutely devastated by the media release of SAPOL Major Crime,” they said.

“The family has co-operated fully with the investigation and want nothing more than to find Gus and reunite him with his mum and dad.”

Initial searches were based on Gus walking off the station and becoming lost but the case was later declared a major crime.

The two other investigation options were focused on the preschooler being abducted or whether someone known to him was involved in his disappearance and suspected death.

“We don’t believe now that Gus is alive,” Fielke said.

A boy with curly blond hair.
Gus Lamont’s grandparents, his mother and his younger brother were at the property at the time he disappeared but police have stressed his parents were not suspects. Source: Supplied / SA Police

Investigators searched the homestead on 14 and 15 January, seizing items including a vehicle, a motorcycle and electronic devices for forensic testing.

Fielke said ground and aerial searches had failed to locate Gus or any items belonging to him and family members had provided information that police had reviewed.

Gus’s disappearance sparked intensive searches spanning almost 500sq km and involving hundreds of police and volunteers as well as aerial support and mounted units.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Angus Taylor and Jane Hume at a press conference

Angus Taylor Faces New Challenge as One Nation Matches Coalition Support

For the first time, One Nation is on level pegging with the…

Angus Taylor’s Bold Immigration & Tax Strategy: Key Insights Before the Front Bench Reveal

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, is preparing to introduce his revamped front…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

75-Year-Old Charged with Firearms Offences as Police Intensify Search for Fugitive Gus Lamont

Authorities investigating the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont have pressed firearms charges…
police generic

Authorities Pursue Suspects in Widespread Parking Lot Scam Investigation

Two men are before the courts as police investigate an alleged theft…

Can the Liberal Party Overcome Its Gender Challenges After Losing Its First Female Leader?

Sussan Ley, the first woman to lead the Liberal Party, was removed…

Anzac Day 2023: Discover Which Australian States Observe the Public Holiday

Residents of Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, are set to…

Jakara Anthony’s Gold Medal Shines in Historic Olympic Achievement for Australia

With the Milano Cortina Winter Games still underway, the Australian Olympic team…
Mystery blast burns boats and forces restaurant to evacuate

Unexplained Explosion Ignites Boats and Triggers Restaurant Evacuation

A mystery blast has rocked a Perth harbour, destroying boats and forcing…

Alleged Bondi Beach Shooter Naveed Akram Makes Initial Court Appearance

In Court: Bondi Attack Suspect Naveed Akram has addressed the court for…
The overlooked 500 per cent price increase blocking new housing

Hidden Costs: The 500% Price Surge Hindering New Home Construction

You’d imagine that in a country the size of Australia, finding new…
A young woman has been left shaken after opening an online fashion order to discover it was crawling with ants and what appeared to be insect eggs

Outrageous Discovery: Shopper Shocked by Disturbing Find in Parcel from Australian Fashion Retailer

A young shopper experienced a disturbing surprise when she opened her online…
A man has been killed, thousands of properties are without power, and flights have been cancelled as wild storms lash large parts of New Zealand.

Severe Storms in New Zealand Claim One Life and Leave Tens of Thousands Without Power

A man has been killed, thousands of properties are without power and…