Share this @internewscast.com
Key Points
  • Defence secretary Pete Hegseth said the US has “only just begun” targeting alleged drug-trafficking vessels.
  • The US military has been accused of war crimes after an earlier attack included a second strike on a disabled boat.
  • The White House distanced Hegseth from the re-strike decision, placing responsibility on admiral Frank Bradley.
The United States has “only just begun” targeting alleged drug-trafficking boats, defence secretary Pete Hegseth insisted, despite a growing outcry over strikes that critics say amount to extrajudicial killings.
Hegseth and President Donald Trump’s administration have come under fire, particularly over an incident in which US forces launched a follow-up strike on the wreckage of a vessel that had already been hit, reportedly killing two survivors.

The White House and the Pentagon are taking steps to distance themselves from the controversial military decision that some U.S. politicians argue might qualify as a war crime. Instead, they are attributing responsibility to the admiral who was in direct command of the operation.

“We’ve only just begun striking narco boats and putting narco-terrorists at the bottom of the ocean, because they’ve been poisoning the American people,” Hegseth said during a Tuesday cabinet meeting.
“We’ve had a bit of a pause because it’s hard to find boats to strike right now — which is the entire point, right? Deterrence has to matter,” Hegseth said.

The Pentagon chief defended the actions taken, saying he observed the first strike but did not personally witness any survivors. He justified the subsequent attack, asserting that sinking the boat was the right decision to eliminate a potential threat.

Trump’s administration insists it is effectively at war with alleged “narco-terrorists” and began carrying out strikes in early September on vessels it says were transporting drugs — a campaign that has so far killed 83 people. They have failed to provide evidence of drug trafficking allegations.
The UN high commissioner for human rights, Volker Turk, said the strikes “violate international human rights law” and must stop immediately.
Earlier on Tuesday, Pentagon press secretary Kingsley Wilson insisted that the strikes were legal.

During a news conference, it was emphasized that the operations were conducted lawfully, adhering to both U.S. and international regulations, and were compliant with the laws governing armed conflict.

Wilson also repeated the White House’s assertion that admiral Frank Bradley — who now leads US Special Operations Command — made “the decision to re-strike the narco-terrorist vessel,” saying the senior navy officer was “operating under clear and long-standing authorities to ensure the boat was destroyed”.
“Any follow-on strikes like those which were directed by admiral Bradley, the secretary 100 per cent agrees with,” she added.

Wilson spoke to a friendly audience, with dozens of journalists who refused to sign a new restrictive Pentagon media policy earlier in the year barred from the event.

The follow-up strike that killed survivors took place on 2 September and would appear to run afoul of the Pentagon’s own Law of War manual, which states that “orders to fire upon the shipwrecked would be clearly illegal.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Remembering Anna dePeyster: Life and Legacy of Rupert Murdoch’s Former Wife at 81

In brief Anna dePeyster, the former wife of media mogul Rupert Murdoch,…
Blood test pathologist blood sample

Revolutionary Blood Test Offers Insight into Alzheimer’s Onset Timing

A new blood test could be able to clock when someone may…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…

From Dough to Dream Home: Pizza Chefs Overcome Challenges to Buy First House

Every day at Boss Pizzeria, a bustling Italian eatery in Melbourne’s eastern…
The ute reversed before ramming into the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue, with the incident being captured on CCTV.

Police Clarify Synagogue Gate Ramming Incident: No Terrorism Involved, Investigation Ongoing

Authorities have clarified that last night’s incident involving a vehicle crashing into…

UN Unveils Disturbing Evidence: Genocidal Atrocities Surface in Sudan

In brief The mission warned that “urgent protection of civilians is needed,…

Melbourne Teen Succumbs to Injuries a Week After Tragic Vehicle Collision

An air ambulance team and a mobile intensive care unit equipped with…
Gallipoli Barracks, Brisbane

Shocking Incident at Brisbane Military Base: Woman Arrested for Stabbing Man

A crime scene has been declared at Gallipoli Barracks after a man…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…
rugby league Pixs taken at Telstra stadium at the match between CANTERBURY BULLDOGS and NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS. Pic shows..MATT UTAI SCORES Pixs

Charges Filed Against Suspected Gunmen in Former NRL Player Shooting Incident

Police have charged two people, including a 15-year-old, as the alleged gunmen…