5.9k Share this


Victorians have been warned not to trust apps claiming to be able to identify poisonous mushrooms as the fungi thrive in the state’s cool, wet conditions.

The Victorian Health Department is telling people to not pick wild mushrooms in Melbourne or regional Victoria, emphasising it is very difficult to tell the difference between mushrooms that are safe to eat and poisonous death cap and yellow-staining mushrooms.

“It can be very difficult to distinguish between toxic and edible varieties of wild mushroom,” Deputy Chief Health Officer Dr Angie Bone said.

Death cap mushrooms
Death cap mushrooms are poisonous. (Getty)

“There is a serious risk of misidentification when using mushroom-identifying apps and there can be major consequences to your health of getting it wrong.

“Consuming just a single death cap mushroom can result in liver failure and death, so if you are not an expert and absolutely certain of the species of mushroom, do not pick it or eat it.”

Recent rain has provided ideal conditions for poisonous mushroom species to sprout in regional and metropolitan Victoria.

The most dangerous variety is the death cap, which is a larger type of mushroom with a greenish or yellowish cap and white gills that is found near deciduous trees such as oaks.

Death cap mushrooms
Death cap mushrooms (Fairfax Media)

Symptoms of poisoning by death cap can include stomach pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea within hours of consumption.

Organ failure can also occur 24 to 48 hours after the mushrooms have been ingested.

The commonly found yellow-staining mushroom turns yellow when the cap or stem is bruised by a thumbnail.

Bone said anyone who becomes ill after eating mushrooms should seek urgent medical advice and, if possible, take samples of the whole mushroom for identification.

Pope John Paul II shot in an attempted assassination

Parents and pet owners should also be aware of mushrooms in gardens and parks frequented by children and domestic animals.

The health advice is that people should not wait for symptoms to occur if they suspect they have consumed poisonous mushrooms, but should seek medical attention immediately.

5.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Tanya Plibersek, Jane Hume clash during fiery Today Show segment

Labor and Coalition frontbenchers Tanya Plibersek and Jane Hume have clashed over…

Former Australian cricket star Andrew Symonds dies in car crash

Former Australian cricket star Andrew Symonds has died in a car crash…

PM says Aussies have ‘earned’ right to spend super to pay for first home

Labor has insisted the policy will simply drive up property prices, with…

At least 10 dead after supermarket attack

A gunman sporting a rifle and body armour has opened fire in…

Donald Trump-endorsed candidates struggling in US election races

Nebraska businessman Charles Herbster, who faced allegations of sexual misconduct by multiple…

Baby girl dies after being found unresponsive in NSW river

The 19-month old was found in the Clarence River on a Palmer’s…

Record-breaking oyster becomes NSW family pet

The world’s biggest oyster has been found on the New South Wales…

Jury sees photos of Heard’s swollen face after fight

Jurors in Johnny Depp’s libel trial against his ex-wife, Amber Heard, saw…