Share this @internewscast.com
Authorities are investigating a “concerning” data leak that has resulted in the public release of dozens of high-profile phone numbers, including Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Opposition leader Sussan Ley.
The information was allegedly obtained by a third-party data site using artificial intelligence to scrape sites, including social media profiles, for user details. It is then collated to create a digital phonebook.
Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles said the government was aware of the breach.

“We’ve notified authorities, and that is being worked through. But obviously, there is concern,” he told reporters on Tuesday morning.

A man speaking while standing at a lectern.

Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles said authorities are looking into the breach. Source: AAP / James Ross

Initial reporting by Australian website Ette Media claimed both major party leaders’ details, as well as those of Marles and former prime minister Scott Morrison, were “scraped” by the US-based site from professional networking platforms including LinkedIn.

It prompted Ley’s office to request that LinkedIn “remove the information” from the Opposition leader’s profile.
“This is obviously concerning, and we have reached out to LinkedIn to understand what occurred here. We are waiting for their response,” an Opposition spokesperson said.

LinkedIn told SBS News that the third-party use of personal data is prohibited, with the platform having several measures in place to protect users.

“In addition to the technology and teams we’ve long had in place to stop unauthorised data scraping, we continue to invest in new defences and take legal action when necessary, to detect and prevent our members’ information being used without their consent,” a LinkedIn spokesperson said in a statement.
The security breach follows new data from the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD), which shows 42 per cent of cyber incidents last year were the result of stolen credentials.

The organization tasked with identifying and combating harmful cyber threats published its yearly report on Tuesday, indicating an 11 percent increase in cyber incidents.

ASD director-general Abigail Bradshaw said the way cyber criminals and state actors are gaining access to organisations, critical infrastructure, and businesses is changing.
“Networks are increasingly not being hacked, but are being breached through compromised or stolen credentials to gain unauthorised access,” she said.
In almost half of the incidents impacting large organisations, access was gained using real usernames and passwords, often stolen or bought by cyber criminals on the dark web.
Given that the access is genuine, instead of a hack, it is harder to track.
ASD urged Australians to opt out of using passwords and replace them with multi-factor authentication, among a series of other measures, to keep their families’ data safe.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Airbus A320 Recall Alert: Key Details and Implications for Airlines and Passengers

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…
Lukas Schindler from Switzerland crossing the finish line at the Sydney marathon.

Heroic Swiss Tourist Identified After Bravely Attempting to Save Girlfriend from Shark Attack

A Swiss tourist who bravely attempted to ward off a shark during…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon after getting married today in Canberra.

Inside the Secret Wedding of Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon at The Lodge: Exclusive Details Revealed

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has married long-time partner Jodie Haydon in an…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…