Australia scores win after China froze essential export to the country

Despite a looming crisis in the Middle East affecting global supplies, Indonesia has assured Australia of continued deliveries of fertiliser and urea, critical components for agriculture.

Rahmad Pribadi, who leads Pupuk Indonesia, the nation’s state-owned fertiliser company, confirmed ongoing shipments to Rod Brazier, the Australian ambassador in Jakarta.

“Food security is a collective responsibility due to our interconnected value chain,” Mr. Pribadi explained to The Australian.

He emphasized, “It benefits Indonesia for Australia to thrive as a key agricultural producer and exporter, as we also rely on Australian commodities. Our economies are tightly linked.”

Mr. Pribadi noted, “Australia is a crucial market for us and a friendly nation. In challenging times like these, maintaining strong alliances is essential.”

He assured, “With wheat planting season approaching, Australia will need fertiliser, and we are committed to ensuring that certain quantities are delivered to meet this demand.”

Australia buys between 300,000 and 700,000 tonnes of urea from Indonesia annually.

China stopped fertiliser shipments in March, telling exporters to halt outgoing loads of urea and urea-ammonium nitrate (UAN) in order to protect its domestic market and food supply.

Australia will continue to be supplied with fertiliser and urea by Indonesia as a critical shortage due to the Middle East crisis threatened crops

Australia will continue to be supplied with fertiliser and urea by Indonesia as a critical shortage due to the Middle East crisis threatened crops

China is one of the largest exporters of urea and UAN, sending out more than $13billion worth of the minerals last year. 

The nutrients are used by Australian farmers to boost plant growth and crop yields, and the absence of such fertilisers could significantly affect food supplies. 

‘We know the needs of Australian farmers. Indonesia needs to function as a stabiliser to friendly countries, and not let speculators take control,’ Mr Pribadi added.

‘We would like to make clear, not just to Australia but to the world that we will be a reliable supplier and not let fertiliser be used as a political tool.’

In response to China’s export halt, Perth-based conglomerate Wesfarmers sent representatives from CSBP, one of its chemical manufacturing companies, to China. 

‘We haven’t let them (Chinese suppliers) off the hook,’ CSBP general manager Ryan Lamp told The Australian.

‘We expect them to explain to us what mitigating factors they’re taking to meet their obligations, and to provide clarity on the mitigating actions.

Mr Lamp added that they are working with industry bodies and the federal government to restore access to China and improve the supply chain.

In response to China's halting of fertiliser shipments, Perth-based conglomerate Wesfarmers sent representatives from CSBP, one of its chemical manufacturing companies, to China

In response to China’s halting of fertiliser shipments, Perth-based conglomerate Wesfarmers sent representatives from CSBP, one of its chemical manufacturing companies, to China

The conglomerate and others in the farming sector have also reportedly considered importing ammonium nitrate from Russia – but this would require the federal government to relax trade restrictions. 

It comes after the ongoing conflict in the Middle East saw Iran effectively close the Strait of Hormuz, a narrow gateway for global shipments including oil and fertiliser.

More than 60 per cent of the urea blends imported into Australia travel through the passageway, according to Fertilizer Australia.

‘We are aware there are shipments stranded and cancellations of future shipments in the Persian Gulf,’ CEO Stephen Annells said on March 25.

‘Fertilizer Australia member companies are actively seeking to access increased quantities of urea from other manufacturing and supply regions, as well as sourcing alternative nitrogen products for farmers. We cannot guarantee these efforts will fully meet the needs of farmers in the medium term.’

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said the government is ‘engaging directly with trading partners’ on fertiliser access.

You May Also Like

Harry and Meghan’s Return Exposes a Selfish Royal Truth

The revelation that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are preparing to…

Trump Blasts Tucker Carlson as Low IQ in Sharp New Feud

President Donald Trump has publicly broken with one-time ally Tucker Carlson, accusing…

Trump Fires Back With Mom Jab After Protester’s Brazen Stunt

Donald Trump took aim at a heckler during a Friday night rally…

Mount Fuji Hiker Leaves Exhausted 7-Year-Old Son Behind to Reach Summit

A father in Japan was sharply reprimanded by police after he left…

San Bernardino TikTok Teens Arrested in Alleged Jacuzzi Attack on Dad

For critics of TikTok, this is exactly the kind of viral stunt…

Guy Adams Investigates Deadly Social Media Trend Linked to Five Teen Deaths

Two sharply different gatherings took place in Carlow last night, the busy…

Trump Renews Call to Control Strait of Hormuz as Tensions Escalate

Donald Trump declared that he now views the Strait of Hormuz as…

Hayden Panettiere’s Ex Faced Alleged Drug Use Claims Before Death

Brian Hickerson, Hayden Panettiere’s on-again, off-again boyfriend, was confronted in court over…

World Champion Boxer, 38, Killed in Ambush Outside His Home

Zolani Tete, the celebrated South African boxer and two-time world champion, has…

Meghan Markle’s Rumored Guy Ritchie TV Role Faces Setback

Meghan Markle’s widely discussed return to scripted television has reportedly hit a…

Trump Urges South Carolina Crowd to Vote as If He’s on the Ballot

Donald Trump urged his supporters in South Carolina to treat Tuesday’s runoff…

Michael Wright, The Five Heartbeats and Sugar Hill Actor, Dies at 70

Michael Wright, the actor remembered for standout performances in The Five Heartbeats,…