Share this @internewscast.com
In a recent development, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke has confirmed that a group of 34 women and children, often referred to as “ISIS brides,” currently residing in a Syrian camp, are holders of Australian passports. This revelation has sparked discussions about their potential return to Australia in the near future.
The confirmation came during Burke’s appearance on ABC’s 7.30 program, where he was questioned by host Sarah Ferguson. Ferguson inquired about reports suggesting that these individuals were in possession of Australian travel documents or passports.
Burke acknowledged the reports, stating, “I have seen those reports.” He further elaborated, explaining that “the reality is anyone who is a citizen is able to apply for a passport and receive a passport.”
Ferguson pressed further, seeking clarity on the matter by saying, “You must know, by the time you have come onto this program tonight, whether they did or did not have…” However, Burke’s response remained focused on the general eligibility of Australian citizens to obtain passports, rather than confirming specific details about the individuals in question.
‘The reality is anyone who is a citizen is able to apply for a passport and receive a passport.’
Ferguson responded: ‘You must know, by the time you have come onto this program tonight, whether they did or did not have…’
Burke responded: ‘Yeah, I do.’
‘I’m giving the very practical answer that if anyone applies for a passport, as a citizen, they are issued with a passport.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke has revealed the 34 ISIS brides and children in a Syrian camp have Aussie passports, raising speculation some could return in days
Ten ISIS brides are expected to return home soon after being issued Australian passports
The women and 23 children – all linked to Islamic State members – were granted documents to travel to Australia
‘In the same way that public servants, if someone applies for a Medicare card, they get a Medicare card. These are automatic processes done by public servants.’
It’s believed the families, staying in the Al Roj internment camp in Syria’s northeast, were so confident they would be able to leave this week that some of their tents have already been demolished.
After their failed attempt to leave the camp on Monday, reports suggest the Islamic State-linked families have been joined by a group of Australian men who are helping them plan their return.
An Albanese government ‘delegate’ ‘conducted DNA tests’ on the women and children, and has been tasked with accompanying them from the camp to Australia, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Encrypted messages from the women revealed the DNA tests were done before they were issued with passports.
‘We still don’t know the reason for the sudden change in position,’ one of the messages said, in response to the women returning to the camp.
It’s believed the group’s return is being coordinated by prominent Sydney doctor and close Burke ally Dr Jamal Rifi. The Western Sydney GP is understood to be on the ground in Syria.
Dr Rifi has known Burke for over 20 years and has previously praised him for doing a ‘great deal’ for his electorate of Watson, spearheading the Friends of Burke campaign at the 2025 election.
An Albanese government ‘delegate’ ‘conducted DNA tests’ on the women and children and has been charged with accompanying them from the camp to Australia
Officials from Al Roj camp are so confident the brides will leave that they’ve already started demolishing their tents
‘I’ve known the man (Mr Burke) for 20 years, and the community knew of him for 20 years when he was in government and even when he was in opposition,’ Dr Rifi told media in 2024.
‘He has always worked for the local constituents, and anyone who says otherwise does not know the man. He does not work to divide and conquer, unlike some other people in politics.’
However, when asked about his relationship with Dr Rifi on Wednesday, Burke said he had ‘no information’ other than seeing media reports about his friend’s involvement with the families.
‘He has not discussed any plans with me, nor would he have any reason to,’ Burke said.
It comes as one of the brides has been stopped from returning to Australia after being slapped with a temporary ban.
A ‘temporary exclusion order’ was enforced on the woman based on advice from security agencies.
It is unclear whether the woman, who has not been identified, has any children she would be separated from as a result of the order.
Burke also confirmed none of the other women or children have met the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders.
Dr Jamal Rifi, who is helping the families on the ground in Syria, is a friend of Tony Burke
The orders can apply to any citizen aged 14 and over who is is considered a security risk ‘for reasons related to politically motivated violence’.
Under current rules, the families are allowed to return to Australia through their own means, with no repatriation efforts being made.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ruled out on Tuesday his government was helping the ISIS brides.
‘We have a very firm view that we won’t be providing assistance or repatriation,’ he told ABC News Breakfast.
‘We want to make it clear, as we have to the people involved, if there are any breaches of the law then they will face the full force of the Australian law.
‘My mother would have said, “If you make your bed, you lie in it.”
‘These are people who went overseas and went there to provide support for people who basically want a caliphate.’