Albanese government makes major announcement on migration numbers

The Albanese government has declared it will keep its permanent migration figures at 185,000 individuals, just days after anti-immigration demonstrations took place nationwide.

On Sunday, tens of thousands participated in rallies in every major capital city across Australia, voicing opposition to the record-high immigration levels observed since the Covid pandemic.

But on Tuesday morning, Immigration Minister Tony Burke announced that there will be no change to the permanent migration intake this financial year.

“The Albanese Labor government will uphold the 2025-26 permanent migration program at the same level and settings as the 2024-2025 program, at 185,000,” Burke stated.

He explained, “This decision follows consultation with the states and territories, which advised maintaining the program’s size and composition, with an emphasis on skilled migration.”

Additionally, he mentioned, “The Department of Home Affairs has been processing visas according to last year’s levels, ensuring there hasn’t been any disruption to the program’s delivery.”

The permanent migration figure includes those on skilled, family and special eligibility visas. 

However, it does not include those with Australian citizenship, those with permanent residency or those on temporary visas.

The Albanese government has announced it will maintain its permanent migration numbers at 185,000 people, just days after anti-immigration rallies swept the country

The Albanese government has declared it will keep its permanent migration figures at 185,000 individuals, just days after anti-immigration demonstrations took place nationwide.

These people are recorded by net overseas migration (NOM), which hit a record high of 538,000 people in 2022-23.

It has since fallen to 446,000 in 2023-24, with the latest figures expected to be published later this month.

During Question Time on Monday, Bob Katter, the outspoken Member for Kennedy, challenged Albanese on what he described as the ‘ballooning costs of immigration.’ 

He accused the government of turning a blind eye to Australians’ concerns about migration and resource development.

Katter claimed that the intake of more than 400,000 migrants annually was placing unsustainable pressure on housing and infrastructure. ‘

‘In the last two years, our population has grown by around one million people,’ he said.

Katter argued that the population surge was harming the economy and urged the government to instead prioritise gas reserve policies and a new coal project in the Galilee Basin. 

‘Shouldn’t the government be about carrying out the will of the people and creating economic development?’ he pressed.

It comes after tens of thousands of people attended rallies in every major capital city across Australia on Sunday, protesting record high levels of immigration in recent years

It comes after tens of thousands of people attended rallies in every major capital city across Australia on Sunday, protesting record high levels of immigration in recent years

Albanese fired back, defending the government’s approach and Australia’s democratic process. 

‘First, regarding the will of the people, that’s called elections. And we have a proud democracy in this country, and I defend it,’ the Prime Minister said.

He rejected Katter’s figures outright, questioning their accuracy and pointing to migration data showing a 37 per cent drop in net overseas migration in 2024.

Albanese also framed Australia’s diversity as a national strength, both economically and socially.

‘People in this country voted for a government that would understand that modern Australia is a different nation than it was under the White Australia policy,’ he said.

Albanese has previously said that Labor is committed to reducing NOM to pre-pandemic levels.

 The tense exchange followed Katter’s appearance at the March for Australia in Townsville, where individuals believed to have ties to neo-Nazi groups were present.

Similar groups were seen at related events in Sydney and Melbourne.

Katter’s Australian Party (KAP) has since distanced itself from those groups after one of its MPs was photographed with them at the rally. 

You May Also Like

NFL Slams Teams With $500K Fines Each After Massive Practice Brawl

The NFL has fined both the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints…

Killer Beauty Queen Pregnant, New Life With Lover Revealed

To anyone passing on the street, she might appear to be an…

Susie Wiles Protégé Sparks Chaos as Dirty Secret Emerges

Donald Trump scarcely recognized the name of the young operative helping staff…

New York Reports First Brain-Swelling Mosquito Virus Case

New York City health officials have confirmed the city’s first West Nile…

Meghan Markle May Return to Acting If She Comes Back to Britain

The Duchess of Sussex may be poised for a return to acting…

NYC Mayoral Aide Signals Aid for Stores Impacted by City-Run Supermarkets

A top official helping steer New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s proposed…

NY AG Hopeful Slams Socialist’s Shoplifting Is a Right Claim

Republican attorney general hopeful Saritha Komatireddy on Thursday sharply criticized a socialist…

California Family’s $18M COVID Relief Fraud Spurs Senate Crackdown on Fraudster Families

WASHINGTON — Call it a family affair in fraud. A California clan…

Rubio Leads Vance in 2028 Poll vs Newsom, Harris and AOC

Secretary of State Marco Rubio is running ahead of Vice President JD…

Kate’s Private Message as Meghan and Harry Return to UK

Harry and Meghan’s unexpected move to base themselves once again in Britain…

Karmelo Anthony’s Lawyer Shares Personal Puberty Detail During Case

A murder trial that exposed deep racial divisions across the country came…

Kennedy: The Moment Meghan Markle Lost America

Did Meghan Markle happen to notice the elegant custom calligraphy displayed on…