5.9k Share this

A young woman who has been fighting for life in a Brisbane hospital has given birth to a healthy baby after her husband died saving her during a caravan fire.

Blake Whell, 22, and Tomeka Willis, 20, who was pregnant at the time, suffered significant injuries when the Logan home went up in flames on Monday night.

The couple’s baby boy was born yesterday.

Blake Whell, 22 is dead and his pregnant wife is fighting for life after the caravan they were staying in at Logan, south of Brisbane, caught fire on Monday, March 21, 2022. (9News)

Neighbours heard screams and called Triple Zero just before 11pm. The fire was extinguished and paramedics rushed the couple to hospital.

Mr Whell’s father, Lloyd Bickel, made the heart breaking decision to turn his son’s life support off.

“I’ve lost my boy, and I may lose my daughter-in-law, who’s pregnant,” he said. 

Ms Willis, a mother-of-two, gave birth to a healthy baby after doctors performed an emergency C section at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.

Tomeka Willis, 20, is fighting for life after the caravan she was staying in at Logan, south of Brisbane, caught fire on Monday, March 21, 2022. (9News)

Mr Bickel on Tuesday paid tribute to his son and shared the intimate details of the 22-year-old’s final act of heroism, protecting the mother of his children.

“He’s a hero,” Mr Bickel said.

“He threw himself over the top of her to save her and he took most of the burns.”

Blake Whell’s father, Lloyd Bickel, speaks to the media. A young man is dead and his pregnant wife is fighting for life after the caravan they were staying in at Logan, south of Brisbane, caught fire on Monday, March 21, 2022. (9News)

Both victims were so badly injured they needed to be placed into an induced coma. Mr Whell had burns to 95 per cent of his body.

Fire investigators sifting through what’s left of the caravan believe an exploding E-scooter charger caused the blaze.

A young man is dead and his pregnant wife is fighting for life after the caravan they were staying in at Logan, south of Brisbane, caught fire on Monday, March 21, 2022. (9News)

“Any of you people that have E-scooters out there, you be careful with these batteries and these chargers,” Mr Bickel said.

“I’ve just lost my son.”

Blake Whell’s father, Lloyd Bickel (seated), is comforted after Mr Whell died dead and his pregnant wife was left fighting for life after the caravan they were staying in at Logan, south of Brisbane, caught fire on Monday, March 21, 2022. (9News)

Police Minister Mark Ryan said it had been an emerging trend over a number of years to see the batteries catch fire “from time to time”.

Source: 9News

5.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Kourtney Kardashian looks sensational in a sheer red dress as she steps out for dinner

Kourtney Kardashian kicked off the celebrations for her rumoured wedding to Travis Barker…

Runner who collapsed and died just after finishing the Brooklyn Half Marathon named as 32-year-old

The runner who collapsed after crossing the finish line at the Brooklyn…

Lord Frost blasts ‘ignorant’ Nancy Pelosi’ over Northern Ireland Brexit row trade deal warning

One of Boris Johnson’s former senior ministers lashed out at Nancy Pelosi today,…

Russia claims to have taken full control of Mariupol

Russia claimed to have captured Mariupol in what would be its biggest…

Kourtney Kardashian dons stunning Dolce & Gabbana corseted wedding dress – complete with headdress

They’re saying ‘I do’ for a third time this weekend in Portofino,…

San Francisco Archbishop Bars Pelosi from Receiving Holy Communion

San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone announced on Friday that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi…

Scott Morrison concedes the election, steps down as leader

Speaking at a function in Sydney, Morrison said as leader of the…

Elon Musk (sporting some very bizarre facial hair) meets Brazilian president Bolsonaro in Sao Paulo

Elon Musk was in Brazil on Friday to meet President Jair Bolsonaro…