Bondi hero is handed $2.5million cheque in his hospital bed

Ahmed Al-Ahmed, celebrated for his courageous act in disarming a gunman during the Bondi Beach terror attacks, has received a $2.5 million cheque while recovering in the hospital.

A touching video captured the moment the Syrian-born father of two was informed that 43,000 people worldwide had contributed funds to honor his heroism.

Upon receiving the cheque, 42-year-old Mr. Al-Ahmed, visibly moved, questioned, “I deserve it?” to which the presenter of the cheque replied, “Every penny.”

When asked if he had a message for the tens of thousands who donated, Mr. Al-Ahmed shared words of peace and solidarity.

“To stand with each other, all human beings, and forget everything bad in the past, and keep moving forward to save lives. Save lives,” he expressed sincerely from his hospital bed.

‘To stand with each other, all human beings, and forget everything bad behind the back, and keep going to save life. Save lives,’ he said from his hospital bed.

‘When I do save the people, I do it from the heart.’

Viewers of the video were touched by Mr Al-Ahmed’s modesty.

Pictured is the moment Mr Al-Ahmed was handed a $2.5million cheque in hospital

Pictured is the moment Mr Al-Ahmed was handed a $2.5million cheque in hospital

The father-of-two is pictured aiming a firearm at the elder gunman following an altercation

The father-of-two is pictured aiming a firearm at the elder gunman following an altercation

‘F***… what a man. What a hero. That guy deserves a statue,’ one person said on X.

‘He deserves every cent, but the heirs of the two Jewish people who tried to stop them and were gunned down also deserve something,’ another added.

‘I deserve. F***ing dead right buddy, every penny,’ a third said.

Fifteen innocent people were killed in Sunday night’s mass shooting including a ten-year-old girl, with dozens more left seriously injured.

The terrifying incident unfolded as hundreds gathered to attend the Hanukkah by the Sea event, marking the first day of the Jewish celebration.

From his hospital bed, Mr Ahmed recalled the scene at Bondi Beach moments before the alleged gunmen Sajid Akram, 50, and his son Naveed Akram, 24, opened fire.

‘It was a nice day, everyone enjoying, celebrating with their kids, woman, man, teenager,’ he said. 

‘Everyone was happy… they deserve to enjoy and it’s their right.

Mr Al-Ahmed's GoFundMe campaign has so far raised more than $2.5million

Mr Al-Ahmed’s GoFundMe campaign has so far raised more than $2.5million

NSW Premier Chris Minns is pictured at Mr Al-Ahmed's bedside earlier this week

NSW Premier Chris Minns is pictured at Mr Al-Ahmed’s bedside earlier this week

‘This country (is the) best country in the world… We’re not going to stand and keep watching, enough is enough.

‘God protect Australia. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.’

The Sutherland tobacconist was hailed as a national hero after footage surfaced of him rushing the elder gunman and wrestling away his firearm.

The intervention came at a significant personal cost, with Mr Al-Ahmed suffering multiple bullet wounds to the shoulder and arm.

The groundswell fundraising campaign for Mr Al-Ahmed garnered international attention, including a maximum $99,999 donation from US billionaire Bill Ackman.

Mr Al-Ahmed’s fundraiser, launched by CarHub Australia, is one of several established in the days since the terror attack.

Total donations to verified GoFundMe campaigns now sit at about $5 million, including nearly $800,000 for the family of the youngest victim, ten-year-old Matilda.

More than $650,000 has been raised for Sofia, 61, and Boris Gurman, 69, who were also hailed as heroes after they were killed attempting to put a swift end to the attack.

Governor General Sam Mostyn gave thanks on behalf of the Australian public and King Charles

Governor General Sam Mostyn gave thanks on behalf of the Australian public and King Charles

Nearly $5million has been raised to support victims and their families in the wake of the Bondi Beach shooting on Sunday night. Mourners are pictured at a vigil on Monday

Nearly $5million has been raised to support victims and their families in the wake of the Bondi Beach shooting on Sunday night. Mourners are pictured at a vigil on Monday

Donations to the family of slain Rabbi Eli Schlanger have surpassed $360,000 and a further $72,000 for Boris Tetleroyd, who was shot alongside his son at the event. 

NSW Premier Chris Minns described Mr Al-Ahmed as a ‘real-life hero’ after meeting with him in hospital earlier this week. 

The governor general also visited the ailing hero in hospital on Tuesday, bringing with her flowers plucked from Admiralty House.

She gave thanks on behalf of the Australian public and King Charles, whom she said asked after Mr Al-Ahmed the night prior.

‘For Ahmed, (King Charles) wants to send thanks for… that moment of absolute heroics that we’ve all been staggered by and so grateful for,’ Mostyn said.

She added the 43-year-old would likely receive a bravery award and that he had already received ‘many, many’ nominations.

Sajid Akram was shot dead by police at the scene. His son, Naveed, was rushed to hospital under police guard with critical injuries. 

The 24-year-old spent two days in a coma before being hit with dozens of charges, including 15 counts of murder. 

You May Also Like

Tragedy as Three Family Members Die After Group in Difficulty

Three members of one family, including a teenage girl, have died after…

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial: Suspect Put Gun in Shooter’s Hands, Jury Told

The man accused of masterminding Tupac Shakur’s killing personally handed the firearm…

Chucky-Masked Man Allegedly Chases Philly Jogger, Threatens Death

A morning run through Center City Philadelphia turned terrifying for one woman…

Hayden Panettiere’s Tragic Connection to Michelle Trachtenberg

Hayden Panettiere and Michelle Trachtenberg helped shape a defining chapter in teen…

Taxi Driver Pocketed Over £30k in Fake Dog Death Claims

A taxi driver who fabricated a series of dead dogs to fuel…

Trump’s Navy Faces Readiness Questions as Another Warship Breaks Down

The U.S. Navy under President Donald Trump is once again under the…

UFO Scientist Claims US Government Is Concealing Bodies From Four Alien Races

A longtime scientist connected to the Pentagon’s UFO research efforts has claimed…

Trump Defends Natalie Harp as Sexism Row Over Role Erupts

A former White House official is pushing back against renewed chatter about…

Police Attacked With Rocks, Arrows and Metal Bars in Australian Town Clash

Police in the remote Northern Territory community of Wadeye — a town…

Hayden Panettiere’s Heartbreaking Struggles Revealed

Hayden Panettiere’s emotional two-hour conversation with podcaster Jay Shetty earlier this year…

Cocaine Kingpins Forced Frat Pledges to Pack Drugs During Initiation

Two off-campus fraternities tied to Penn State University are accused of involvement…

Penn State Cocaine Ring: 13 Frat Members Charged, NY Student Accused as Leader

Prosecutors say more than a dozen Penn State fraternity members and associates…