Ricky Hatton was found hanged by his manager at his £1.7million home
Share this @internewscast.com

Boxing legend Ricky Hatton was discovered hanged, as revealed during the opening of an inquest into his death in Stockport.

The renowned athlete passed away at his £1.7 million residence in Hyde, Greater Manchester, on September 14, at the age of 46.

His body was discovered by Paul Speak, his long-time manager and friend, who was present at the brief hearing, which saw no attendance from Hatton’s family.

The inquiry was initiated by Alison Mutch, the senior coroner for South Manchester, following the turnout of thousands of fans lining the city streets before Hatton’s funeral last Friday.

The date for a comprehensive inquest is yet to be determined.

Notable figures including Liam Gallagher, Wayne Rooney, and Tyson Fury attended a private memorial service held at Manchester Cathedral.

Tributes were shared by the late boxer’s 24-year-old son Campbell, who followed his father into the boxing ring, as well as his daughters Fearne, 12, and Millie, 13.

Mr Speak has previously recalled the ‘shock and confusion’ of discovering Hatton when he let himself in before ‘hearing music coming from upstairs’.

‘I firmly believe he didn’t intend to do it… he had it all to live for,’ he told Boxing News magazine.

British boxing icon Ricky Hatton died aged 46. He is pictured here at the PFA Awards 2025 at Manchester Opera House on August 19

British boxing icon Ricky Hatton died aged 46. He is pictured here at the PFA Awards 2025 at Manchester Opera House on August 19 

The boxing icon was found at his home in Greater Manchester

The boxing icon was found at his home in Greater Manchester 

‘The lights weren’t on, which I thought was strange. I thought he’d overslept, but it’s not unusual. People do oversleep.

‘I heard music coming from upstairs, so I went upstairs… I took a look at him… I had to take some time to process it.

‘I was in a state of shock and confusion and loss and many more emotions. Then I called the police and the ambulance.

‘But I firmly believe he didn’t intend to do it. It’s for the coroner to determine, but he had it all to live for.’

Hatton had arranged to take his daughters Millie and Fearne to see Oasis play, and was planning a Christmas holiday to Tenerife and a boxing comeback.

The former world champion had revealed his suicidal thoughts and problems with addiction in the past but his family have said he was in a ‘good place’ before his death.

His final post on Instagram showed him keeping fit in the gym ahead of a highly-anticipated return to the ring in December.

The Mancunian also filmed an uplifting video in his final week for a child who was the victim of bullying.

He was tragically due to board a flight to Dubai just a day after his passing to sign a contract confirming his comeback to boxing with a bout against Eisa Al Dah.

However alarms were raised after Hatton failed to show at a boxing event for one of his own fighters that Saturday, with Mr Speak finding his lifeless body the following morning.

Hatton’s manager said: ‘If this was 10 years ago, it wouldn’t have been as big a shock as it was.

‘I’ve been with Ricky to the very highest mountains in boxing to the lowest chasm in life.’

The hearing, which took less than five minutes, heard that Hatton was last seen alive by family members on September 12.

He ‘appeared well’, coroner’s officer Alison Catlow told the hearing, which was attended by around 15 reporters.

She said Hatton – who lived alone – then failed to attend an event at which he had been expected the following day.

On the morning of September 14 Mr Speak arrived at the house to take Hatton to Manchester Airport for a flight, she said.

But Hatton’s manager found him ‘unresponsive’ with a ‘ligature’ around his neck.

His provisional cause of death was given as hanging.

Mr Speak was attending the hearing on behalf of the family, the coroner said, with the boxer’s full name given as Richard John Hatton.

‘I’m going to require the full police file in relation to their investigation and to obtain statements from other witnesses, including Mr Hatton’s GP,’ Ms Mutch added.

His full inquest has been scheduled for March 20 next year.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

How Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Actions Sparked a Strong Reaction from Trump

Marjorie Taylor Greene’s unexpected resignation from Congress last week sent shockwaves through…

Explosive Sea Drone Attack Dismantles Russian Shadow Fleet Tankers: A Closer Look at Maritime Warfare

This gripping moment captures the destruction of two Russian tankers from the…

FDA Investigation Reveals Possible Connection Between COVID Vaccines and 10 Child Fatalities

An influential regulator within the FDA has called for more stringent standards…

Tragic End: Beloved Beauty Influencer Found Dead at 31 in Forest

In a tragic turn of events, the life of 31-year-old influencer Stefanie…

Since 2021, Thousands of Afghans Identified as National Security Concerns

A significant number of Afghan nationals who entered the United States following…

Trump Alleges That Afghans Target Individuals Possessing Nespresso Machines

In a recent social media post, former President Donald Trump sparked controversy…

Heartbroken Widow Challenges Controversial Sculpture Tribute After Husband’s Tragic Death in Stampede

A grieving widow faces heartbreak as plans unfold to install a large…

Update on National Guard Member Following Shooting Incident in Washington, D.C.

A lawmaker from West Virginia has disclosed that the second individual affected…

Somali Fraud Scheme Unfolds in Minnesota During Tim Walz’s Tenure

Trust in Minnesota’s social welfare system has been severely undermined by fraudsters,…

Tragic Incident in Stockton: Four Lives Lost in Mass Shooting

In a tragic event in Stockton, California, a shooting at a banquet…

Prince Andrew Acknowledged Jeffrey Epstein’s Misconduct, Claim Lawyers in Latest Case Revelations

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is reported to have informed a young actress, reportedly abused…

Reeves Faces Scrutiny Over Commitment to No Additional Requests Following Recent Budget

Rachel Reeves found herself in an uncomfortable position today when confronted with…