3.9k Share this

A New South Wales mother has issued a chilling warning about the dangers of colourful tiny magnetic ball toys after her two-year-old son swallowed 22 of them, sparking a “hell week” that saw him undergo surgery.

Frankie Davis’ older brothers bought the magnet toys from the park, and his mother, Bree, thought nothing of it.

The popular magnetic balls stick together to create shapes and patterns.

Frankie Davis' older brothers brought home a toy from the park, and his mother, Bree, thought nothing of it.
Frankie Davis’ older brothers brought home a toy from the park, and his mother, Bree, thought nothing of it. (Instagram)

“They were very small, so I didn’t see them as a choking hazard, and they looked like pretty fun toys,” she said.

But she soon discovered the tiny toys could do a huge amount of damage.

She said the first sign something was wrong was when Frankie complained of his stomach being sore and then started vomiting.

A family is warning of the dangers of magnet toys.
A family is warning of the dangers of magnet toys. (Nine)

Over the next week, it took four trips to hospital before doctors figured out what was going on inside Frankie’s body.

“They decided to go in for surgery with a camera, to see what they could find, she said.

Too small to show up in an ultrasound, medics discovered the high-powered magnets had dug into the two-year-old’s organs and torn a hole in his digestive system.

“They managed to find 22 in total, around his bowel and small intestine,” she said.

The couple wants to warn other families of the dangers of the toys.
The couple wants to warn other families of the dangers of the toys. (Nine)
He was in surgery for three hours at Sydney’s Randwick Children’s Hospital, and has made a full recovery.

The couple wants to warn other families of the dangers of the toys.

The magnets have been banned in Australia for 10 years but they can still be bought online and at market stalls.

New scam emails impersonating Australia Post

Scams to watch out for

The ACCC is urging anyone who spots them to get in touch so they can be taken off the shelves.

Source: 9News

3.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Fears over freight supplies to power stations and supermarkets if unions vote for industrial action

Power blackouts, petrol shortages and empty shelves loom if rail unions vote…

Prince Charles and Camilla to guest star in EastEnders episode marking the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will guest star in…

Flood and surf warnings as wild wet weather hits Sydney, Brisbane and Perth

Heavy rain is forecast for Brisbane, Sydney and Perth today, triggering flood…

Flooding possible in southeast Queensland, northern NSW

More flooding could be on the way in already sodden regions of…

Capture the Atlas’ 2022 Milky Way Photographer of the Year

Photographer Egor Goryachev took this colourful photo of the milky way in…

British scientists warned monkeypox would fill the void left by smallpox three years ago

Some of the country’s top disease experts warned that monkeypox would fill…

How to make a vase using a towel: DIY pro shares simple hack using Bunnings supplies

DIY pro transforms an old towel into a VASE with cement and…

Courtney Love expresses support for Johnny Depp and says he ‘saved her life’ after overdose

Courtney Love is giving her support to Johnny Depp amid the ‘Pirates…