Share this @internewscast.com
Christian Eriksen insists he has no fear of suffering another cardiac arrest as he pushes ahead with plans to resume his football career.
The Dane has been speaking for the first time since he collapsed during Denmark’s Euro 2020 match with Finland on June 12 last year, his last competitive appearance.
As Sportsmail revealed on Tuesday, the 29-year-old is targeting a return to training with a European club this month, and his representatives have been in talks with Premier League sides as well as teams from Denmark and Holland.
Christian Eriksen has declared that he is ‘not afraid’ about having another cardiac arrest
Eriksen suffered a cardiac arrest in Denmark’s clash with Finland at Euro 2020 last summer
Asked if he was afraid of collapsing again, Eriksen said: ‘Not at all, not in the slightest.
‘At first, I was cautious. How much could my heart tolerate now? I wanted to test it. But I have been cleared and monitored and tested as much as possible. I’m not afraid it will happen again.’
Eriksen was fitted with an internal defibrillator after the incident, which means he cannot play in Italy under Italian law. His contract with Inter Milan was terminated in December.
The former Tottenham midfielder takes comfort from having the device to monitor his heart, in the event he should suffer a similar episode.
After live-saving treatment on the field, he went to hospital, where he was fitted with an ICD
He told Danish television station DR1: ‘Worst case, if it happens again, this thing helps me right away. It’s very reassuring to realise you’ve got something.
‘On the off chance it happens again, you’ve got something that will help you. That’s very reassuring. So I’m not worried that it will happen again, not on the pitch either.
‘I worried I would be afraid there but I’m not. So people can stop worrying because I don’t plan to collapse again.’
Eriksen is hoping to join a new club this month after being released by Inter Milan last month