Islamist double murderer is awarded £240k taxpayer-funded payout
Share this @internewscast.com

A double murderer who previously held a prison officer hostage while demanding the release of notorious hate preacher Abu Qatada has been awarded a significant payout funded by taxpayers, amounting to £240,000.

Fuad Awale found himself relocated to a high-security separation unit designed for dangerous inmates after he and an accomplice ambushed a jail employee, threatening his life.

Invoking Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), Awale claimed his segregation, which aimed to protect prison staff and prevent radicalization of other inmates, violated his right to life.

Justice Secretary David Lammy has subsequently consented to a compensation payment of £7,500, along with covering £234,000 in legal expenses, after Awale argued that the conditions led to his ‘severe depression.’

Court proceedings revealed that Awale had previously requested the opportunity to associate with one of the convicted Islamic extremists responsible for the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby. However, this request was denied due to ‘counter-terrorism concerns.’

Awale, alongside his co-conspirator, had also demanded the release of Abu Qatada, who was facing deportation to Jordan on terror charges, and Roshonara Choudhry, who infamously attacked Labour MP Stephen Timms in 2010.

The High Court has ruled in favour of Awale’s appeal to the ECHR, with a judge saying there had been a ‘significant degree of interference with the claimant’s private life’, The Telegraph reports.

The judge added: ‘The degree of interference with the claimant’s private life which has resulted from his removal from association has been of some significance and duration.’

Fuad Awale was transferred to a special separation unit for dangerous convicts after he and another convict ambushed a jail worker and threatened to kill him

Fuad Awale was transferred to a special separation unit for dangerous convicts after he and another convict ambushed a jail worker and threatened to kill him

Mohammed Abdi Farah and Amin Ahmed Ismail (pictured) were shot and killed by Fuad Awale in 2011

Mohammed Abdi Farah and Amin Ahmed Ismail (pictured) were shot and killed by Fuad Awale in 2011

The double murderer, who took a prison officer hostage and demanded the release of hate preacher Abu Qatada (pictured), has been awarded a £240k taxpayer-funded payout

The double murderer, who took a prison officer hostage and demanded the release of hate preacher Abu Qatada (pictured), has been awarded a £240k taxpayer-funded payout

Robert Jenrick, Conservative shadow justice secretary, has branded the decision a ‘sick joke’.

He said: ‘Labour are cowing to terrorists and the human rights brigade. They must introduce emergency legislation to carve these monsters out of the ECHR immediately. If they don’t, we will as soon as Parliament returns.’

Mr Lammy, who revealed the payout to Awale in a letter today, suggested ministers were considering changes in the law to prevent extremist criminals from using the ECHR as a ‘barrier to us protecting national security’.

Awale was sentenced to a minimum of 38 years in prison in January 2013 aged 25 after shooting Mohammed Abdi Farah, 19, and Amin Ahmed Ismail, 18, in the head in a Milton Keynes alleyway over a drugs dispute.

He was handed a further six-year jail sentence after taking a prison officer hostage in 2013 and making threats to kill him.

The extremist had pointed a sharp implement at the throat of the officer, pinning him to a chair, and said: ‘Stop struggling, I’ve killed two people – I’ll kill you.’ 

Awale was subsequently assessed as having ‘extremist beliefs’ and held in ‘close supervision centres’ – where up to four officers with body-worn cameras ‘unlock’ inmates each time they leave their cells.

Awale was kept in HMP Woodhill, Milton Keynes, from 2021 onwards and did not associate with any other inmates since March 17, 2023, spending as little as one hour a day outside his cell.

The court heard Awale previously asked to associate with one of the Islamic extremist killers of Fusilier Lee Rigby (pictured) - but was denied the request due to 'counter-terrorism concerns'

The court heard Awale previously asked to associate with one of the Islamic extremist killers of Fusilier Lee Rigby (pictured) – but was denied the request due to ‘counter-terrorism concerns’

Lee Rigby's killers Michael Adebolajo (left) and Michael Adebowale are pictured

Lee Rigby’s killers Michael Adebolajo (left) and Michael Adebowale are pictured

His lawyers have now successfully argued the decisions to deny access were ‘opaque’, adding Awale had been denied the chance to argue his case as prison managers were failing to regularly review his segregated conditions, as required by law.

Awale also argued the Ministry of Justice had failed to consider the high number of ‘racist’ and ‘Islamophobic’ prisoners in the supervision centre – further limiting the number of people he could associate with.

The claim was allowed by the High Court on all grounds. 

Revealing the payout, Mr Lammy had noted to Mr Jenrick that the £7,500 compensation sum was a ‘modest proportion’ of the overall settlement – after it was contested by the Ministry of Justice, as is standard practice for ‘all litigation by prisoners convicted of terrorist offences’.

He pointed to improvements in the decision-making process to address the findings of similar judgements.

Mr Lammy is currently considering a review by terror watchdog Jonathan Hall on how prison security can be improved following an alleged knife attack against three officers by Manchester Arena bomb plotter Hashem Abedi.

It is believed the review has recommended the Government appeals the Awale ruling and consider changing the law to stop extremist prisoners from exploiting the ECHR. 

Mr Lammy told Mr Jenrick: ‘I can assure you that significant policy and operational changes are under active consideration to ensure that the legal framework regarding the placement in separation remains robust, relevant and trusted.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Investigation Intensifies: Andrew Under Scrutiny in Epstein Trafficking Case Linked to Stansted

On Tuesday evening, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor faced increasing scrutiny as a new police…

Lindsey Vonn Faces Setback with Leg Break: Announces Heartbreaking Personal News

Lindsey Vonn, the renowned American skier, has shared the heartbreaking news of…

Surfing Legend’s Murder Unveils Troubling Realities at Renowned Resort

The brother of a renowned surfer who met a tragic end in…

Russian Athletes to Participate Under National Flag at Upcoming Paralympics

For the first time in over a decade, Russian athletes will compete…

Nancy Guthrie Investigation Resets as Glove Yields No New Information

A glove discovered two miles from Nancy Guthrie’s residence has been ruled…

Intense Search Underway for 9 Missing Skiers After California Avalanche

A frantic effort is in progress to locate nine backcountry skiers who…

Four Chagossians Embark on Journey to Reclaim Ancestral Homeland

A small contingent of Chagossians has embarked on a boat journey to…

Boyfriend Arrested in Connection to Mysterious Disappearance of Young Woman

A woman from North Dakota who vanished under puzzling circumstances last month…

Shia LaBeouf’s Dramatic Escape and Mardi Gras Misstep: A New Low for the Actor

Emerging from a New Orleans jail on Tuesday morning, Shia LaBeouf cut…

Brooklyn Beckham Ends Longtime Friendship with Holly and Jack Ramsay: A Surprising Split

Brooklyn Beckham has cut ties with childhood friends Holly and Jack Ramsay…

Gavin Newsom’s Wife Shares Untold Stories of Personal Struggles

California’s ‘First Partner,’ Jennifer Siebel Newsom, made headlines last week when she…

Tragic Incident: Mother and Daughter Found Dead Following Intense Text Dispute with Fellow Parents

The tragic story of a Utah dance mom and her 11-year-old daughter,…