Cost of canceling student debt: $400 billion over a decade, agency says
Share this @internewscast.com

The Biden administration’s plan to cancel up to $20,000 in federal student loan debt for millions of Americans will cost the U.S. about $400 billion over a decade, according to the nonpartisan agency that conducts economic analyses of government policies. 

The extension of the pause on debt repayments will cost another $20 billion, the analysis from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) noted. As part of the debt-relief plan, the Biden administration also pushed back a resumption of debt repayments from September 2022 until January 2023. 

The cost of the debt-forgiveness plan has sparked a debate among some Republicans and those without college degrees, who have argued that the plan isn’t fair to people who didn’t go to college but yet whose tax dollars will support the effort. After the report was issued, Republicans decried the plan’s price tag, citing the CBO’s forecast, with Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona writing on Twitter that it was “even more expensive than we initially thought.”

Even so, the CBO’s estimate is lower than an earlier forecast from the University of Pennsylvania’s Penn Wharton Budget Model, which pegged the cost at $519 billion.


MoneyWatch: States could tax student loans forgiven under President Biden’s plan

03:46

The CBO noted that its estimates “are highly uncertain,” given that they depend on the amount that borrowers would have repaid if the debt-relief plan hadn’t been created, as well as the amount that borrowers will repay after all or some of their loans are forgiven. 

The agency’s analysis doesn’t break down the impact of the debt-relief program by income group, although it said its estimate is based on the assumption that 65% of those who qualify for the program received at least one Pell Grant. 

Under the Biden administration’s plan, extra relief is provided for people who received Pell Grants, which are earmarked for low-income students. These borrowers will receive up to $20,000 of loan forgiveness, double the amount of other borrowers. 

About 95% of the roughly 37 borrowers with direct loans from the federal government will qualify for the debt-forgiveness program, the CBO estimated. The other 5% of borrowers earn too much money to be eligible, as the plan is limited to single borrowers earning less than $125,000 a year or married borrowers earning less than $250,000.

Because Pell Grant recipients will receive double the debt-relief as other borrowers, most of the program’s benefit will accrue to low- and middle-income workers, according to the Penn-Wharton model. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Police: 1 dead, 4 injured in shooting at Florida A&M University

TALLAHASSEE, Fla — An adult man was killed and four male victims,…

Colorado shooting victim ‘wanted to save the family I found’

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – A member of the U.S. Navy who was…

Stories of Service: Looking at viewer photos

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Anthony Austin was looking through his emails and noticed…

Woman sues Kraft Heinz for $5M, says mac and cheese preparation isn’t as advertised

Editor’s note: This story was updated to include a response from Kraft…

Police: Man shot at pharmacy, shooter arrested | WJHL

BIG STONE GAP, Va. (WJHL) — Officers with the Big Stone Gap…

BBC journalist beaten up and arrested ‘for his own good to stop him catching Covid’, China claims

A BBC journalist covering historic protests against President Xi Jinping in China…

Tributes to "lovely" Sheffield couple found dead at home as police launch murder investigation

The couple have been named locally as neighbours in Dore struggled to…

Huddersfield Town take former Sheffield Wednesday striker Florian Kamberi to Spain as trialist

The centre forward has been taken out to Marbella with Mark Fotheringham’s…

Three arrests as bodies of two babies found in Bridgend home

A police investigation has been launched

11/27: Face The Nation – CBS News

11/27: Face The Nation – CBS News Watch CBS News This week…

Driver arrested after Florida deputy killed in suspected DUI crash

A 30-year-old woman from Massachusetts was arrested and charged. PUNTA GORDA, Fla.…

Klinsmann gives ex-Huddersfield Town keeper Danny Ward verdict ahead of England World Cup clash

Jurgen Klinsmann and Ashley Williams had their say on Danny Ward’s off…