3.9k Share this

Sydneysiders may yet get their family-friendly harbourside fireworks display on New Year’s Eve, despite the City of Sydney announcing its cancellation.

It would be the second consecutive year the Covid-19 pandemic has forced the cancellation of Sydney’s 9pm fireworks on Sydney Harbour before the main event at midnight.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian offered hope that the 9pm fireworks might go ahead, just a day after the City of Sydney announced the earlier fireworks show had been cancelled to ensure the celebrations meet pandemic public health orders.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says fireworks are 'a sign of hope for the new year'

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says fireworks are 'a sign of hope for the new year'

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says fireworks are ‘a sign of hope for the new year’

‘Last year the Sydney council decided to do that and we stepped in and did it,’ she told reporters on Wednesday.

‘I would think that no matter what happens, no matter what situation we are in, the fireworks are always a sign of hope for the new year and the NSW government is considering its options,’ she said.

The council announcement triggered a backlash from the business community which said the cancellation would be a major blow to the economic recovery of the city’s CBD.

Businesses around Sydney Harbour were looking forward to recouping some of their huge pandemic economic losses on New Year's Eve

Businesses around Sydney Harbour were looking forward to recouping some of their huge pandemic economic losses on New Year's Eve

Businesses around Sydney Harbour were looking forward to recouping some of their huge pandemic economic losses on New Year’s Eve

‘New Year’s Eve is 102 days away and with the current vaccination rate progressing so well, it seems unnecessary to cancel them now, as businesses in the city were relying on the iconic event to boost recovery after months of lockdown,’ Business Sydney executive director Paul Nicolaou said.

‘The consequences … will be devastating for hundreds of businesses around the Rocks, Circular Quay and Darling Harbour who were looking forward to recouping some of their huge economic losses throughout this long lockdown.’

Source: DailyMail

3.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Beto O’Rourke disrupts governor’s news conference on shooting

O’Rourke was escorted out while members of the crowd yelled at him,…

World’s fastest passenger jet goes supersonic in tests

The race to resume supersonic passenger flights nearly two decades after the…

JOHNNY DEPP VS. AMBER HEARD TRIAL LIVE: Judge rejects Depp’s bid to dismiss Heard’s countersuit

LIVE JOHNNY DEPP VS. AMBER HEARD TRIAL LIVE: Entertainment lawyer Richard Marks…

Portrait of a killer: ‘Bullied’ Call of Duty-loving Texas school gunman brawled repeatedly at school

The bullied high school loner with a troubled home life, who suddenly…

What you should NEVER say to a gay person

From relying on stereotypes to asking intrusive questions about someone’s sex life,…

Ainsley Harriott saves his sister from drowning at Chelsea Flower Show 

Ainsley Harriott came to the rescue of his sister when she fell…

After Solomon Islands deal, China wants 10 nations to endorse sweeping agreement from security to fisheries

China wants 10 small Pacific nations to endorse a sweeping agreement covering…

Horror at Senegalese maternity unit as fire kills 11 newborn babies

Eleven newborn babies are killed as fire tears through neonatal unit of…