Egypt submarine crew questioned over sinking that killed 6 after witness claims ‘dive hatches left open’
Share this @internewscast.com

CREW members on board the deadly Sindbad tourist submarine have been questioned by Egyptian officials over the Red Sea disaster.

Six people died on Thursday as another 39 were miraculously rescued after the submarine sank off the city of Hurghada.

Submerged object in clear blue water near a boat.
This is the first picture of the doomed vessel after the tragedyCredit: Alamy
Sindbad Submarines vessel on the water.
Six are dead after the submarine, seen in a file photo, sank near Egypt’s Hurghada resortCredit: Instagram
Map showing location of tourist submarine sinking off Hurghada, Egypt.

Nine people have been injured with four said to be in a critical condition, according to the Red Sea governor.

A couple, both doctors, were among the victims with their daughters still in hospital, authorities said.

Two children were also tragically pronounced dead, Russian media reported.

The crew are now beginning to be questioned as many unanswered questions remain over how the submarine suddenly started to sink.

Governor Amr Hanafy confirmed yesterday the submarine had a valid licence and the crew had all obtained the correct certificates.

As investigations continue, witnesses have started to reveal the terrifying moments when they were first plunged into danger.

Survivor Elena Boldareva has claimed the vessel became submerged with its hatches still open which allowed water to quickly flood in.

Many of those who escaped were able to climb through the open holes to safety.

A large group of sightseers had been on board the vessel at the time of it sinking.

The Sindbad had been in operation as a tourist submarine for a number of years.

Inside the tourist submarine that sunk off Hurghada leaving at least six tourists dead

Elena Boldareva, a survivor of the incident, mentioned that the white-hulled vessel went underwater with open hatches as the journey to see a coral reef 70 feet beneath the surface began, costing £68.

The Russian survivor – who escaped the horror with her husband – said: “Some managed to swim out, some didn’t”.

Her daughters and mother were taken to the hospital in a serious condition as authorities quizzed the sunken craft’s Egyptian operators yesterday.

The first individuals identified as victims were a Russian couple who were both doctors. They were named as anaesthetist Ravil Valiullin, aged 40, and his wife Kristina, aged 39, who specialized in pediatric medicine.

But Kristina was later confirmed by Russian authorities to have survived.

She had reportedly been reunited in the hospital with her survivor daughters aged 10 and 15.

Ravil worked at the Urussu Central Regional Hospital in Russia’s central region called Tatarstan.

The Sindbad submarine was carrying 45 tourists as it made a 40-minute journey to view a reef.

Most of the tourists were Russians, but there were also some from India, Norway and Sweden, officials said. There were also five Egyptians on board.

These passengers were tourists booked with Biblio Globus company and were accommodated at the Sindbad Hotel in Hurghada. The hotel owns the submarine and organizes these undersea excursions.

Twenty-nine were pulled from the shark-infested waters, but nine were injured, including four who have been left fighting for their lives in a critical condition.

Survivors have been taken back to their hotels while the injured have been taken to the hospital.

The Russian embassy in Cairo confirmed the accident involved its nationals.

A statement said: “On March 27, at about 10:00, the Sindbad bathyscaphe, owned by the hotel of the same name, crashed 1km off the shore.

“In addition to the crew, there were 45 tourists on board, including minors. All of them are Russian citizens.

“Most of those on board were rescued and taken to their hotels and hospitals in Hurghada.”

Brit’s near-miss with doomed sub

A BRIT on holiday was inside the doomed Sindbad submarine just three days before the deadly disaster.

Kelly Collins, 32, descended 85ft below the surface of the Red Sea in the fated sub on Monday.

The HGV driver dodged death by a whisker with six killed on Thursday when the vessel sank carrying Russian tourists.

She said: “I’m shocked, saddened and in disbelief to hear the news about the poor people on the submarine.

“I think this has put me off submarines.”

Kelly said the trip lasted about 40 minutes, with a 30 minute trip to and from shore before and after the sailing.

Fellow Brit Tom McDowell, 63, travelled on the sub with his daughter last year.

The food manufacturer from Carrickfergus, in Northern Ireland, said he was “nervous” at the thought of getting into the submarine but said he felt at “ease” as the set up was “all very professional”.

He said: “I was shocked when I read the news that it has sunk – my heart goes out to the victims.

“When i was onboard I was surprised with how safety focused the crew were.

“The boat felt sturdy and the staff and the captain we very friendly and professional.

Sindbad submarines underwater.
Russia’s embassy said five of their citizens had died (stock image)
The Egyptian Hospital with a police van parked in front.
Some tourists were taken to hospital following the tragedy
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Global Markets Tumble After US Stock Market Reacts to Trump’s Tariff Announcement

Everything from crude oil to Big Tech stocks to the value of…

Stock Market Drops Amid Trump Tariffs; Nasdaq and S&P Experience Worst Trading Days Since 2020

UPDATED with closing prices. U.S. stock markets recoiled at President Donald Trump‘s…

“Florida Deputy Tragically Killed in Overtime Shootout, Despite Courageous Battle”

Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson said the agency was in “shock and…

£56 Million Search for Missing MH370 Halted Due to Poor Weather Conditions

INVESTIGATORS have suspended the last-ditch search effort to find the doomed MH370…

Wall Street Shaken as Major Stocks Tumble at Opening, Trillions Lost from Economy and 401(k)s Impacted

Stock markets plunged Thursday after President Donald Trump’s historic tariff announcement, sparking…

Trump Introduces $5 Million ‘Gold Card’ Visa for Ultra-Wealthy, Promises Availability in Two Weeks

PRESIDENT Donald Trump has introduced a new $5 million “gold card” visa…

Nicolas Cage’s Son Weston Receives Verdict in Felony Assault Case Following ‘Brutal Attack’ on Mother

Nicolas Cage’s son, Weston, will avoid prison, nearly a year after his mom,…

Discovered Ruins Potentially Validate Bible’s Accuracy: Archaeologists Assert Discovery at ‘Armageddon’ Supports Biblical Narrative

A grisly Bible story about an ancestor of Jesus may be true,…

Constantly Hungry? Discover 5 Common Causes and Expert Advice for Prolonged Fullness

Why Am I Always Hungry? It’s normal to feel hungry as it’s…

Villagers Celebrate as Council Rejects Proposal for ‘US-Style’ Megafarm with 714,000 Chickens and 14,000 Pigs

Jubilant villagers cheered and hugged as an application for a US-style megafarm…

My Kids Experienced the School Bus Accident Virginia Giuffre Describes at 110 km/h, But They Recall It as a ‘Minor Crash’

Parents of children who were on the bus that hit Virginia Giuffre’s car…

Trump Supports Proxy Voting for New Parents, Opposes Luna Resolution

President Donald Trump said Thursday he is in favor of allowing new…