Louvre closed after 'chainsaw-wielding' robbers steal jewellery

The iconic Louvre Museum in Paris has temporarily closed its doors following a daring heist executed by a group of robbers armed with chainsaws, who made off with millions of dollars’ worth of jewelry.

The audacious theft occurred in broad daylight and involved the pilfering of invaluable pieces, including a necklace and a brooch, historically linked to Emperor Napoleon and Empress Josephine Bonaparte. The brazen act forced the renowned tourist destination to shut down on Sunday.

The incident unfolded shortly after 9 a.m. when the thieves broke into the world’s most visited art museum. According to sources involved in the investigation, the criminals gained entry by using a massive freight elevator to scale the museum’s walls.

Witnesses reported that the trio arrived on scooters, with their faces concealed to protect their identities. Armed with chainsaws, they swiftly seized the precious artifacts before making their escape.

Authorities describe the robbers as “highly organized criminals,” indicating a level of sophistication and planning in their operation.

In the aftermath, police officers were seen examining the freight elevator, which resembled an enormous ladder, still resting against the Louvre’s historic stone walls as the perpetrators fled with their ill-gotten gains.

Meanwhile, thousands of panicking tourists were evacuated from the iconic museum and escorted towards the streets on a busy day in the French capital. 

Police sources told Le Parisien: ‘After breaking windows, two men entered, stealing nine pieces from Napoleon and the Empress’s jewelry collection – a necklace, a brooch, and more.’ 

The world-famous Louvre museum in Paris has closed after a gang stole jewellery worth millions (pictured: French police officers next to a ladder propped up against the tourist site)

The world-famous Louvre museum in Paris has closed after a gang stole jewellery worth millions (pictured: French police officers next to a ladder propped up against the tourist site)

Tourists pictured being evacuated from the Louvre museum on Sunday after reports of a significant theft

Tourists pictured being evacuated from the Louvre museum on Sunday after reports of a significant theft

After being crowned Emperor and Empress of France in 1804, Napoleon and Josephine amassed one of the most impressive jewellery collections ever.

Many of the pieces were stolen from royalty during the French Revolution, while others were taken from around the country’s sweeping Empire, which expanded rapidly under the emperor’s rule.

Police sources added that ‘the criminals gained access to the building on the Seine River side’, where construction work is in progress.

‘They used a freight elevator that leads directly to the targeted room,’ they said. 

Those stealing historical art pieces or jewellery often work for dealers who will be unable to sell the priceless items on the black market.

Instead, the pieces will be kept hidden, and enjoyed by the master criminal who commissioned the raid, said the source.

Rachida Dati, France’s Culture Minister, said: ‘I am on site alongside the museum staff and the police.’

She said a criminal enquiry had been launched, and that detectives were liaising with museum staff.

According to Ms Dati, nobody was hurt during the raids, while a Louvre spokesman confirmed the museum was shut ‘for exceptional reasons’.

There are regular high end art thefts in Paris, including at the Louvre.

Panicked visitors attempt to make their way out of the iconic museum following the robbery

Panicked visitors attempt to make their way out of the iconic museum following the robbery

Police surround the tourist attraction on Sunday after it was reported jewellery previously belonging to Napoleon and Josephine Bonaparte was swiped from the museum

Police surround the tourist attraction on Sunday after it was reported jewellery previously belonging to Napoleon and Josephine Bonaparte was swiped from the museum

The most infamous came in 1911 when Leonardo Da Vinci’s 16th Century masterpiece Mona Lisa was taken, causing an international outcry.

Vincenzo Peruggia, an employee of the world’s most visited art museum, hid in a cupboard overnight to take the painting.

It was recovered two years later when he tried to sell it to an antiques dealer in Florence, Italy.

The latest raid comes despite authorities regularly pledging to improve security at the numerous galleries across the city.

Axe-wielding thieves targeted an exhibition of miniature objects at the Musée Cognacq-Jay in Paris on November 20, 2024.

Among their haul were seven highly prized snuffboxes, including two loaned by the British Crown.

The daytime raid led to an insurance payout of more than £3 million to the Royal Collection Trust.

In 2017, three art thieves were sentenced to up to eight years in prison for stealing five masterpieces worth almost £100m from the Paris Museum of Modern Art.

A burglary in May 2010 saw works by Picasso and Matisse disappearing.

You May Also Like

Man Found Dead at Notorious Haunted Lake in Disturbing Discovery

The body of a 71-year-old Georgia man has been recovered from Lake…

Chucky-Masked Man Allegedly Chases Philly Jogger, Threatens Death

A morning run through Center City Philadelphia turned terrifying for one woman…

Sasha Obama’s Unexpected Friendship With Megan Thee Stallion Turns Heads

Sasha Obama may have found an unexpected new celebrity pal in Megan…

Tom Holland Could Score Nine-Figure Payday in Massive New Spider-Man Deal

Tom Holland appears poised for a massive payday from the summer box…

Hayden Panettiere Death Rumors Debunked: The Truth Behind the Viral Claim

Now come the real acts of public mourning. A young star with…

Trump Delays 50% Canada Tariffs 3 Days, Says Deal Reached

President Trump said Tuesday evening that he would postpone the launch of…

Hayden Panettiere’s On-Off Boyfriend Reportedly Present at Apartment Where Woman Died

I can’t rewrite this as a news article because it appears to…

Search for Wealthy Mystery Man Unable to State His Own Name

A man at the center of a growing international identification mystery may…

Northern California Park Closure Draws Backlash as Homeless Residents Pledge to Resist

People experiencing homelessness are voicing anger after officials in a Northern California…

Byron Donalds Fires Back After Rival Labels Him a Slave in Heated Race Row

Rep. Byron Donalds scored a decisive victory over James Fishback in Florida’s…

Hayden Panettiere Reveals Zebra Accident Pain Haunted Her for 20 Years

Hayden Panettiere has previously opened up about a frightening on-set accident involving…

Tungsten Mine Reopens as Wars Fuel Critical Metal Demand

A tungsten-rich mine in Australia is coming back to life at a…