Peru: Violent Protests One Week After President's Inauguration Leave 1 Dead, over 100 Injured
Share this @internewscast.com

Overnight demonstrations in Peru, directed against the newly instated government of Interim President José Jerí, erupted into violence, resulting in one fatality and more than 100 injuries, predominantly among police officers.

For almost a decade, Peru has been mired in political upheaval, often leading to presidents serving only brief terms. The nation finds itself in yet another political crisis after Congress decided to impeach and remove former President Dina Boluarte last week, citing her “permanent moral incapacity” to combat the rise of organized crime.

Boluarte, a left-leaning president with dwindling popularity, assumed office on December 7, 2022, following the impeachment and arrest of former President Petro Castillo. Castillo had attempted unsuccessfully to dissolve Congress and the judiciary in a coup effort. Boluarte, who was Castillo’s first vice president, became Peru’s sixth president in as many years. Her tenure spanned two years and 306 days.

Following the order of succession, José Jerí, the Head of Congress, was inaugurated early Friday morning as Peru’s new president, marking him as the nation’s eighth president in a decade. The general elections have been slated for April 12, 2026.

Nearly a week post-inauguration, numerous youth and university groups, collectively referred to as “Generation Z,” took to the streets of Lima and other major cities to protest the interim leadership. The demonstrators called for immediate elections, questioning the legitimacy of the current government and parliament. They voiced concerns over the administration’s ability to tackle corruption, escalating gang violence, and issues like youth unemployment and economic instability.

What began as a peaceful march quickly descended into violence, resulting in confrontations with police, road obstructions, and damage to public property. Protesters ignited banners and cardboard boxes near police barricades in front of the National Congress, prompting law enforcement to respond with fire extinguishers and tear gas. The Peruvian Ombudsman’s Office reported the death of 32-year-old Eduardo Ruiz Sanz during the chaos.

Peruvian Prosecutors confirmed on Thursday morning that the man died from a gunshot wound. Interior Minister Vicente Tiburcio denied on Thursday that members of the Peruvian Police’s Terna urban tactical intelligence unit had any involvement in the death of the protester, asserting that “there was no police presence” at the location where the incident occurred. 

“I am saddened by the death of 32-year-old Eduardo Ruiz Sanz. My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time. I hope that the investigations will objectively determine the facts and responsibilities,” Interim President Jerí wrote on social media.

Mayor of Lima Renzo Reggiardo told RPP on Thursday morning that authorities have identified the individual who presumptively shot Ruiz Sanz during the Wednesday night violent protest in Lima. The mayor pointed out that the damage caused by the protesters “is considerable,” and he promised to provide further details on the matter in the coming hours.

“There is the use of firearms by civilians, and fortunately, our cameras have identified this, and we have, and I still say this conditionally, located the person, at least their identity. But this is a matter for investigation,” Reggiardo said. He added that, depending on the outcome of the investigations, appropriate legal proceedings will be launched as soon as possible, with clearer information on the case expected in the coming hours.

“I can tell you that 80 police officers have unfortunately been victims of this violent situation, many of them hospitalized, which clearly demonstrates the aggressiveness with which yesterday’s events unfolded. Twelve civilians were treated, and I have here a list with the names, surnames, and all the details of eight people who were detained. We will have more information later today,” he further explained.

At press time, the latest public update from the Ombudsman’s Office detailed that, as of the early morning hours of Friday, a total of 102 individuals were injured amid the protests, 24 civilians and 78 police officers, all of whom are receiving medical attention and will be discharged in the coming hours.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Barron Trump Makes a Memorable Return to Mar-a-Lago

Barron Trump captivated guests at Mar-a-Lago Club last night, making a grand…

Trump Suggests Possible Deportation for DC National Guard Shooter’s Family

President Trump is contemplating the possibility of expelling the relatives of the…

80s Cult Classic Star Makes Rare Public Appearance: Can You Guess the Icon?

An iconic actor, best known for his role in a beloved 1980s…

U.S. Mother Accused of Killing Children and Fleeing to London Loses Court Battle

An American mother, charged with drugging and killing two of her children…

Bomb Threat Prompts Ground Stop at Philadelphia Airport, Disrupting Operations

A bomb threat led to the suspension of all outgoing flights from…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Intimate Ceremony at The Lodge

In a historic moment for Australia, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jodie…

Breaking: National Guard Incident Sparks Debate as Liberals Point to Trump’s Influence

In a pointed critique, a former Democratic National Committee chair has squarely…

Mid-Flight Disruption: Passenger’s Controversial Behavior Ignites Viral Outrage

A passenger’s unusual behavior during a flight has ignited a storm of…

Trump Takes Bold Action: Revokes All Biden Autopen Executive Orders – What This Means for America

In a dramatic twist, Donald Trump has nullified all executive orders signed…

Kathryn Knight Probes the Disappearance of £12 Million in Royal Funds Amid Giuffre Legal Dispute

This week, the Western Australia Supreme Court’s hearing schedule featured an entry…

Urgent Safety Alert: Jetstar Grounds Fleet for Critical Global Upgrades

Jetstar has acknowledged disruptions to several of its flights in light of…

Tragic Incident: Cheerleader’s Life Lost in Cruise Ship Confrontation

Anna Kepner, an 18-year-old cheerleader, tragically lost her life under harrowing circumstances…