More than 100 aid groups warn of starvation in Gaza as Israeli strikes kill 29, officials say
Share this @internewscast.com

DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip — Over 100 charities and human rights organizations announced Wednesday that the ongoing Israeli military operations and blockade are driving Palestinians in Gaza towards severe hunger. Local health officials reported that recent Israeli strikes have resulted in 29 additional fatalities overnight.

The Mideast envoy for the Trump administration, Steve Witkoff, is scheduled to discuss ceasefire talks with a senior Israeli official, suggesting that the prolonged lower-level discussions may soon reach a resolution.

Specialists indicate that Gaza faces a potential famine due to Israel’s blockade and the military response following the Hamas attack on October 7, 2023. The World Health Organization’s leader has highlighted the alarming increase in malnutrition and associated diseases in Gaza, noting that a significant portion of the approximately 2 million residents are experiencing starvation.

Israel says it allows enough aid into the territory and faults delivery efforts by U.N. agencies, which say they are hindered by Israeli restrictions and the breakdown of security.

Hamas has said it will only release the remaining 50 hostages it holds, around 20 of them believed to be alive, in exchange for a lasting ceasefire and an Israeli withdrawal. Israel has vowed to recover all the captives and continue the war until Hamas has been defeated or disarmed.

‘Chaos, starvation and death’

In an open letter, 115 organizations, including major international aid groups such as Doctors Without Borders, Mercy Corps and Save the Children, said they were watching their own colleagues, as well as the Palestinians they serve, “waste away.”

The letter blamed Israeli restrictions and “massacres” at aid-distribution points. Witnesses, health officials and the U.N. human rights office say Israeli forces have repeatedly fired on crowds seeking aid, killing more than 1,000 people. Israel says its forces have only fired warning shots and that the death toll is exaggerated.

The Israeli government’s “restrictions, delays, and fragmentation under its total siege have created chaos, starvation, and death,” the letter said.

WHO Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus echoed that criticism, telling reporters that acute malnutrition centers in Gaza are full of patients and lack adequate supplies. He said rates of acute malnutrition exceed 10% and that among pregnant and breastfeeding women, more than 20% are malnourished, often severely.

The U.N. health agency’s representative in the occupied Palestinian territories, Dr. Rik Peeperkorn, said there were more than 30,000 children under 5 with acute malnutrition in Gaza and that the WHO had reports that at least 21 children under 5 have died so far this year.

Displaced Palestinians wait for donated food at a community kitchen in Gaza City, northern Gaza Strip, Tuesday, July 22, 2025.

Displaced Palestinians wait for donated food at a community kitchen in Gaza City, northern Gaza Strip, Tuesday, July 22, 2025.

(AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi)

Israel says critics are ‘echoing Hamas’ propaganda’

The Israeli Foreign Ministry rejected the criticism in the open letter and accused the groups of “echoing Hamas’ propaganda.” It said it has allowed around 4,500 aid trucks into Gaza since lifting a complete blockade in May, and that more than 700 trucks are waiting to be picked up and distributed by the U.N.

That’s an average of around 70 trucks a day, the lowest rate of the war and far below the 500 to 600 trucks a day the U.N. says are needed, and which entered during a six-week ceasefire earlier this year.

The U.N. says it has struggled to deliver aid inside Gaza because of Israeli military restrictions, ongoing fighting and a breakdown of law and order. An alternative system established by Israel and an American contractor has been marred by violence and controversy.

Top adviser to Netanyahu will meet US envoy in Rome

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Witkoff was headed to Europe to meet with key leaders from the Middle East to discuss the latest ceasefire proposal and release of hostages.

“We want this ceasefire to happen as soon as possible, and we want these hostages to be released,” Leavitt said.

An official familiar with the negotiations said Ron Dermer, a top adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, was traveling to Rome to meet Witkoff on Thursday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the sensitive negotiations.

The evolving deal is expected to include a 60-day ceasefire in which Hamas would release 10 living hostages and the remains of 18 others in phases in exchange for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Aid supplies would be ramped up, and the two sides would hold negotiations on a lasting truce.

Overnight strikes kill at least 29

Israel has continued to carry out waves of daily airstrikes against what it says are militant targets but which often kill women and children. Israel blames civilian deaths on Hamas because the militants operate in densely populated areas.

One of the overnight strikes hit a house in Gaza City, killing at least 12 people, according to Shifa Hospital, which received the casualties. The dead included six children and two women, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. The Israeli military said it struck an Islamic Jihad militant, and that the incident was under review because of reports of civilian casualties.

Shifa said another strike late Tuesday in Gaza City killed three children.

A strike on an apartment in northern Gaza killed at least six people. Among the dead were three children and two women, including one who was pregnant, the ministry said. The military said it struck a Hamas operative.

In central Gaza, a strike in a densely populated part of the built-up Nuseirat refugee camp killed eight people and wounded 57, according to Awda Hospital, which received the casualties.

Hamas-led militants abducted 251 people in the Oct. 7 attack and killed around 1,200 people, mostly civilians.

More than 59,000 Palestinians have been killed during the war, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. Its count doesn’t distinguish between militants and civilians, but the ministry says that more than half of the dead are women and children. The U.N. and other international organizations see it as the most reliable source of data on casualties.

Goldenberg reported from Tel Aviv, Israel. Associated Press Writer Michelle Price in Washington contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Federica Brignone wins giant slalom for 2nd gold medal of the Olympics, Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 11th

Federica Brignone Triumphs in Giant Slalom for Second Olympic Gold as Mikaela Shiffrin Struggles

By STEVE DOUGLAS CORTINA D’AMPEZZO — As Federica Brignone absorbed the joy…
'Heartbreaking': University of Northern Iowa Football Player Dies at 18

Tragedy Strikes: University of Northern Iowa Mourns Loss of 18-Year-Old Football Player

The University of Northern Iowa (UNI) mourns the loss of one of…
Woman riding e-scooter killed in hit-and-run crash, JSO says

Tragic E-Scooter Hit-and-Run: Woman Fatally Struck in Jacksonville

A tragic incident unfolded on Thursday night in Jacksonville, as a woman…
2026 NBA All-Star Game was a success — right until it wasn’t

2026 NBA All-Star Game Thrills Fans Before Unexpected Turn of Events

The 2026 NBA All-Star Game initially dazzled audiences before taking an unexpected…
Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez released from prison after 2022 shooting, attempted murder of man molesting his son

Ex-UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez Freed from Prison Following 2022 Shooting and Attempted Murder Case Involving Alleged Child Molester

In a recent development, Cain Velasquez, the former UFC heavyweight champion, has…
California mom convicted after son dies in hot car while mother got lip fillers: 'Defendant chose her looks'

California Mother Found Guilty in Tragic Case of Son’s Death in Hot Car During Cosmetic Appointment

A 20-year-old mother from California has been found guilty in the tragic…
Big gap in California immigration asylum cases in LA, SF

Significant Disparities Uncovered in California’s Asylum Cases Across LA and SF

For many asylum seekers, the vision of settling in California is becoming…
Waltz calls UN a 'cesspool for antisemitism' as Trump administration pushes major reforms

UN Under Fire: Waltz Labels It a ‘Cesspool for Antisemitism’ Amid Trump Era Reform Push

EXCLUSIVE: U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz is advocating for…
Chuck Schumer says there are only 3 sticking points in DHS shutdown as thousands of federal workers go unpaid

Schumer Highlights Three Key Issues in DHS Shutdown Amid Unpaid Federal Workers Crisis

WASHINGTON — Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer has succinctly encapsulated the ongoing…
LA cops blast California's soft DUI laws

California’s DUI Laws Under Fire from LA Officers

California has witnessed a troubling surge in drunk driving incidents, with six…
Israeli intelligence sources reject claims Jeffrey Epstein was Mossad operative following document releases

Israeli Intelligence Dismisses Allegations of Epstein’s Mossad Ties Amid Newly Released Documents

Recent investigations and newly unveiled documents shedding light on the connection between…
Arizona Sheriff Chris Nanos leading search for Nancy Guthrie, rules out theory her disappearance was burglary gone bad

Arizona Sheriff Dismisses Burglary Theory in Mysterious Disappearance of Nancy Guthrie

The sheriff of Arizona, spearheading the effort to locate the missing Nancy…