3.9k Share this
An eighth NSW resident has contracted Japanese encephalitis (JE), prompting a warning about mosquito protection.
The latest case is a man in his 50s from the Temora area in the southern Riverina region.
He was treated in hospital, but has since been discharged and is recovering in the community.
The JE virus is spread by mosquitoes and can infect animals and humans.
NSW Health has advised that it cannot be transmitted between humans and it cannot be caught by eating pork or other pig products.
There is no specific treatment for JE, which can cause severe neurological illness with headache, convulsions and reduced consciousness in some cases.